ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why do people care more when celebrities die?

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
I don't mean to be callous, but seriously who cares when celebs die beyond the fact that someone has passed. I care 10x more about when someone I know loses a loved one or when someone who you know has done considerable good for others has passed. Celebs, ehh, not so much.

I’d venture a thought that it isn’t caring about the celebrity. I think that there is a “familiarity” with the celebrity that makes them feel like it is someone that you know. Thus it isn’t all that different than you experiencing the loss of a loved one.

Case in point: I know that I felt very saddened and shed a tear when JoePa died. I never met him. I did say hello to him on Pugh Street one afternoon. That was it. Over time i had developed admiration and respect for the man. That’s why i acred

Franco was the same way. And, had i known some of the many stories of his interactions with ‘average people’, i would have been even more saddened than I was.

ON the other hand, Lisa MArie Presley? Sad, but didn’t bat an eye. The same hold for many a celebrity. With 300 million people in the US, even 1% is three million people who care about a particular person. That’s is a very noticeable minority

Last edited:
I don't mean to be callous, but seriously who cares when celebs die beyond the fact that someone has passed. I care 10x more about when someone I know loses a loved one or when someone who you know has done considerable good for others has passed. Celebs, ehh, not so much.
Reminds us of our own mortality

We don't.

Better question is why people post deaths of whoever on a PSU football message board? This isn't the obituary board......

It's more frequent on the other board, and together with the threads on every minor sport that has a PSU jersey clogs up the front page of that board and many times pushes actual football discussions quickly to the 2nd page. Lots of subjects, including on PSU football, get their separage threads combined to keep from clogging up the board but every time a band member passes away for example its a separate thread. Keep all the articles on PSU football in one thread, but start a new thread for anyone that dies..... Not the kind of "logic" i'm used to.....

Last edited:
We don't.

Better question is why people post deaths of whoever on a PSU football message board? This isn't the obituary board......
I like when people post those on here, that’s the only time I hear about it half the time.

We don't.

It's worse on the other board, and together with the threads on every minor sport that has a PSU jersey clogs up the front page of that board and many times pushes actual football discussions to the 2nd page. Lots of subjects, including on PSU football, get their separage threads combined to keep from clogging up the board but every time a band member passes away for example its a separate thread. Not the kind of "logic" i'm used to.....
And we don't even want to get into the whole "rest in peace" discussion!

As I have gotten older, I have taken the opinion that people who live into their late 70's, 80's or beyond have for the most part, lived a good. long life and should be celebrated for it. For the most part, death should not be celebrated, but I have found myself feeling less saddened by people who have passed in their 70's or 80's than people who pass away a lot younger. I even find myself saying "passed away" instead of "died".

I’d venture a thought that it isn’t caring about the celebrity. I think that there is a “familiarity” with the celebrity that makes them feel like it is someone that you know. Thus it isn’t all that different than you experiencing the loss of a loved one.

Case in point: I know that I felt very saddened and shed a tear when JoePa died. I never met him. I did say hello to him on Pugh Street one afternoon. That was it. Over time i had developed admiration and respect for the man. That’s why i acred

Franco was the same way. And, had i known some of the many stories of his interactions with ‘average people’, i would have been even more saddened than I was.

ON the other hand, Lisa MArie Presley? Sad, but didn’t bat an eye. The same hold for many a celebrity. With 300 million people in the US, even 1% is three million people who care about a particular person. That’s is a very noticeable minority
That’s a good explanation. I would expand it a bit as many celebrities actually impact our lives, in many ways. Some people inspire us to be better… JoePa as example. Others reach into your soul and help one get through tough times …..Great musicians and actors. Those also help shape us as we grow , especially through our younger days. Some just remind us of other times which we usually think of as better times.

Athletes or business stars that overcame great setbacks. Or a major health crisis or family disaster.

I am not a celebrity worshipper, don’t spend time reading about them or following them. Have met couple and never ask for autographs. But I acknowledge their impact on people and on society.

ADVERTISEMENT