ADVERTISEMENT

Other games of note...appetizers for tonight's main course

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Notre Dame versus Navy in East Rutherford: Navy unbeaten and ranked but stepping up in class here. Notre Dame needs the W to keep playoff hopes alive...favored by 14 to get it.

Washington at Indiana: Huskies have one nice W (against Michigan) but haven't looked impressive on the road in the conference. (Fortunately, we get them in Happy Valley.) Indiana is surprisingly unbeaten and acting the part of a contender. Hoosiers favored by 5.5...still no Vegas respect for Indiana. (Rooting for Washington to pull the upset here.)

Illinois at Oregon: The Illini another conference surprise team with only the one loss we gave them but hard to see them beating an Oregon team that seems finally to be living up to its preseason billing. Ducks favored by 22 at home. (Would love to see Illinois somehow pull off a shocker.)

Missouri at Alabama: Loser of this one is likely eliminated from playoff contention. Tide favored by 16 at home.

LSU at Texas A&M: Tonight's other big matchup....with big-time playoff implications. Aggies favored by 1 at home. (Rooting for Aggies...and another Brian Kelly meltdown afterward.)

We'll get to see how well Notre Dame holds their assignments. If Navy can slow the game down, maybe they have a shot.

I'm also interested to see how Indiana looks without their starting QB, though Nebraska is a bit of a dumpster fire.

Notre Dame versus Navy in East Rutherford: Navy unbeaten and ranked but stepping up in class here. Notre Dame needs the W to keep playoff hopes alive...favored by 14 to get it.

Washington at Indiana: Huskies have one nice W (against Michigan) but haven't looked impressive on the road in the conference. (Fortunately, we get them in Happy Valley.) Indiana is surprisingly unbeaten and acting the part of a contender. Hoosiers favored by 5.5...still no Vegas respect for Indiana. (Rooting for Washington to pull the upset here.)

Illinois at Oregon: The Illini another conference surprise team with only the one loss we gave them but hard to see them beating an Oregon team that seems finally to be living up to its preseason billing. Ducks favored by 22 at home. (Would love to see Illinois somehow pull off a shocker.)

Missouri at Alabama: Loser of this one is likely eliminated from playoff contention. Tide favored by 16 at home.

LSU at Texas A&M: Tonight's other big matchup....with big-time playoff implications. Aggies favored by 1 at home. (Rooting for Aggies...and another Brian Kelly meltdown afterward.)
Which Washington team shows up will determine who gets the "W". I ndiana apparently playing their backup QB after starters surgery. Backup has good experience and Cignetti will gave his team ready. Has Washington solved their FG issues?

I don't see Illinois giving Oregon a game at home. Oregon wins easy. OU on a mission to play in B1G championship.

I think Alabama wins easy @ home. Missouri playing without their statistics QB.

LSU and Texas A&M definitely a toss up game. I think the Aggies win a very close game in Kyle Field.

ND Navy I think will be closer than the spread but ND seems to have found their stride so they win if they can build an early 10 pt lead. Navy is more diverse offensively than in past years abd if they can be effective mixing in their passing game for a few explosive plays, might see an upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry

Go Navy beat the Evil Empire
Go Illinois beat Indiana
UGH-Go Missouri beat Bama
UGH-Go Ag and Mining beat those Paper Tigers

Go Navy but I don't think they have much of a chance.

Go Washington. Helps our strength of schedule and reduces chance of Indiana sneaking into the playoff ahead of us.

Go Illinois. Helps our strength of schedule but I don't give them much of a chance.

I'll root for the underdogs in the SEC games but in reality they hardly matter. The SEC will get 4 teams into the playoffs. It's just a matter of who.

We need IU to lose twice. I’d assume they will lose to OSU but besides that game their schedule is Swiss cheese.

If we were to slip up twice, I would hate to be stuck behind a pretty overrated IU team sitting at 11-1.

Navy Navy Navy!

Reactions: bdgan
Which Washington team shows up will determine who gets the "W".
I haven't watched much Washington football so my question is wtf is going on there? I heard an announcer this morning say that they've outgained their opponents in every game this year. That sounded impossible for a 3 loss team so I looked it up.

They lost 40-16 to Iowa but they outgained Iowa 393-328.
They lost to Rutgers 21-18 but they outgained them 521-299
They lost to Washington State 24-19 but they outgained them 452-381

What a bunch of bumbleforks!

I haven't watched much Washington football so my question is wtf is going on there? I heard an announcer this morning say that they've outgained their opponents in every game this year. That sounded impossible for a 3 loss team so I looked it up.

Yup, debating which game to watch. Notre Dame-Navy is a more glamorous matchup but I think Washington-Indiana is more relevant to our situation...so I'll start there and see how it goes.

Haha! Honestly, it's hard to see Navy hanging with the Irish...but who knows. Some weird stuff has been happening this year.
Have not seen Navy this year. They are ranked, 24th. Need Notre Dump to get a 2nd loss and put their playoff chances at serious risk.

Yup, debating which game to watch. Notre Dame-Navy is a more glamorous matchup but I think Washington-Indiana is more relevant to our situation...so I'll start there and see how it goes.
A Navy win probably eliminates ND from the playoffs which makes it more likely that PSU gets in with 2 losses.

A Washington win helps our strength of schedule and virtually eliminates Indiana as a competitor for a playoff spot (they must still play Michigan & OSU)

In the Rutgers game their FG kicker missed several.

Not sure if they had the same issue against Washington State.

Iowa simply overpowered them. I think the travel, two trips to East & Midwest in three weeks might have caught up with them against Iowa.

We might really need USC to beat ND
Yes for sure if they are sitting at one loss then and we have two. If we have only one loss then that game won't matter to us except a boost to our sos if USC wins. I think USC has a good shot to beat them at the Coliseum.

HereA Navy win probably eliminates ND from the playoffs which makes it more likely that PSU gets in with 2 losses.

A Washington win helps our strength of schedule and virtually eliminates Indiana as a competitor for a playoff spot (they must still play Michigan & OSU)

Agreed on both counts. Rooting for both Navy and Washington, but Washington probably has a more realistic chance.

68-yard punt flips the field for Washington after a horrible first series by the Huskies. Indiana can't move the ball, punts it back.

Huskies roll the dice on 4th and short on their side of the field...pick up the 1st down...move into Hoosier territory and moving the ball...and then: DISASTER! Indiana picks a lateral pass and takes it to the house. 7-0.

Reactions: NedFromYork

Nebraska may not be back yet, but as far as brands go Ohio State vs. Nebraska is a big one even if it looks like a mismatch. Plus you have Dylan Raiola getting to start in Columbus freshman year, just for a different team. Nebraska holding its own so far.

In the Rutgers game their FG kicker missed several.

Not sure if they had the same issue against Washington State.

Iowa simply overpowered them. I think the travel, two trips to East & Midwest in three weeks might have caught up with them against Iowa.
Here we go again. Washington is winning 1st downs 5-2 and total yards 81-38 but they're trailing 7-0.

Here we go again. Washington is winning 1st downs 5-2 and total yards 81-38 but they're trailing 7-0.
Tough to overcome a pick six when you're Washington. Indiana is going to struggle a bit without their QB. Washington can't be giving them free points.

Another Indiana pick...followed by another Indiana big play...and the Hoosiers go up 14-0 on the strength of two big plays, one on O and one on D. Otherwise their O has done very little.

But then Huskies drive the field impressively for a TD to put themselves back in the game. 14-7.

Another Indiana pick...followed by another Indiana big play...and the Hoosiers go up 14-0 on the strength of two big plays, one on O and one on D. Otherwise their O has done very little.

But then Huskies drive the field impressively for a TD to put themselves back in the game. 14-7.
17-7 Indy at half. Total yards 189-156 in favor of Washington but they have 2 turnovers. This team finds ways to lose.

17-7 Indy at half. Total yards 189-156 in favor of Washington but they have 2 turnovers. This team finds ways to lose.

Agreed. A couple critical mistakes have killed them. Can't have that as an underdog on the road.

On the other hand, that was a really nice goal-line stand to hold Indiana to a field goal at the end of the half. Maybe that will give them a bit of a boost.

Nebraska may not be back yet, but as far as brands go Ohio State vs. Nebraska is a big one even if it looks like a mismatch. Plus you have Dylan Raiola getting to start in Columbus freshman year, just for a different team. Nebraska holding its own so far.
B1G Suck Officials were at it again at the end of the 1st half.

Neb RB gets the 1st down by at least a yard - but the 'officials' spotted the ball short causing Neb to rush their short yardage team on to the field and kill off an extra 35 seconds of the clock.

Then Neb attempts a pass into the end zone that they call them for OPI. Unbelievable sequence of ineptitude by the O$U officials.

Neb, to their credit, converted a late long FG to make it 14-6 at the 1/2.

B1G Suck Officials were at it again at the end of the 1st half.

Neb RB gets the 1st down by at least a yard - but the 'officials' spotted the ball short causing Neb to rush their short yardage team on to the field and kill off an extra 35 seconds of the clock.

Then Neb attempts a pass into the end zone that they call them for OPI. Unbelievable sequence of ineptitude by the O$U officials.

Neb, to their credit, converted a late long FG to make it 14-6 at the 1/2.
OSU is just an underperforming team and most of that can be pointed at the bozos they call a coaching staff. PSU takes them down next week and we'll probably see Day canned at the end of this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT