ADVERTISEMENT

Our players talking trash on social media?

Parkerdam555

Jul 2, 2022
I don't have the link but the story is up on espn. Apparently according to their players, ours were talking trash before the game on Twitter and that was the cause of the halftime scrum.

This...actually kinda bothered me. That ain't Penn State and that needs addressing by Franklin.

Trash talk is great.
It's part of gamesmanship.
If you haven't played in some sports game in your life where trash talk was part of it, well you haven't really lived.
Michigan backed it up, Penn State didn't.
Nothing to see here.
If you don't think Chet Parlevecchio & Brian Glezheiser and many, many before them talked trash boy do I have news for you.

Trash talk is great.
It's part of gamesmanship.
If you haven't played in some sports game in your life where trash talk was part of it, well you haven't really lived.
Michigan backed it up, Penn State didn't.
Nothing to see here.
If you don't think Chet Parlevecchio & Brian Glezheiser and many, many before them talked trash boy do I have news for you.
Neither of them ran their mouths to the press before games. Their trash talk was on the field of play. Big difference.

I don't have the link but the story is up on espn. Apparently according to their players, ours were talking trash before the game on Twitter and that was the cause of the halftime scrum.

This...actually kinda bothered me. That ain't Penn State and that needs addressing by Franklin.
Don’t kid yourself it’s Penn st under Franklin . Bring back O’Brien

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister

Social media is a sewer. If some are playing in the sewer ( can't rule out media creating this controversy), it effects the team. As my drill instructor used to say...." If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough"

In the tunnel video you can hear "kick his ass." Who exactly is "he?" You can see helmetless PSU players barking backwards and gesturing with middle fingers.

If I take a wild guess, and based on the fact that we were the first into the tunnel and all of our players had the CHOICE to continue walking maybe it could be this:

1. JP Jr. #9 was running his mouth in the tunnel
2. IF that is the case, he MAY have also been involved in social media banter
3. While he is a great prospect and will be a great pro, the college him is an immature ass clown who consistently shows off only to then get beaten or flagged shortly thereafter, or drop a key int, get a late hit, etc.
4. Yapping MAY also explain how on the first play he was so undisciplined to turn a 1-2 yard gain into a 17 yard gain with his emotional/idiotic body slam
5. I started flipping back and forth to the Phillies once our tails were fully between our legs, but I was lo9king for 9 on the field and didn't see much of him. Did we yank him or was Michigan just going away from his side? Saw a lot of different dbs in...

We were invited to watch the game with some folks at a bar. My bride declined b/c the same beers for $1 at home taste better and she thought I might embarrass us. She was correct on both counts...I lost my shit screaming at the TV after the first play.

We were humiliated in a very un- Penn State fashion. I teach high school...this generation lives on their phones, that is how they communicate even when sitting in the same room. That doesn't make it acceptable.

Shame on our "culture" if we have allowed ourselves to become Paper Lions. Michigan was the better team in every regard yesterday- and if I had to wager I'd imagine that we were playing the role of "Da U". Roles seem to have been reversed yesterday. There was a time when we'd be crowing how our discipline, "class", and culture prevailed. It appears that Michigan held that ground on Saturday.

Just really, really disappointing.

Whatever penn state teams used to conjure up under Paterno have been totally done away with this staff. Discipline, sportsmanship, a team that was going to be physical, play hard, overachieve. Yes, paterno didn't win a ton at the twilight of his career, but I never wasn't sort of proud of the team we fielded and how the coaches/players mostly comported themselves. JPP is the perfect representation of this program. Talented, athletic, great measurables, but he acts like a punk. He lacks discipline, people seem to forget we had to pull him off the field last year all the time because of his PI issues. That body slam against Michigan isn't only dumb, it represents Penn State to a national audience. Lazy offensive linemen that have absolutely 0 toughness, that has defined us too. The locker-room cancers like Wade/Shelton have promoted a certain culture and it hasn't been stamped out. The linebackers like Smith that look like the perfect football players, but get out to the field and seemingly never make a big play. I knew we were in trouble from the jump, this is a team that denigrates its opponents at every moment(thumbs down signs when a DB makes a play), but they didn't do any of that yesterday(minus whatever this halftime deal was). After the Auburn game, we waived to their fans after we won and one of players took a hammer to the SEC logo right in front of Franklin, he didn't much care. I like Franklin enough, I'll always revere the school and this program, I'll continue to watch, but I am not going to hide my total disdain for the way they act and play. Someone mentioned that Franklin is insecure, his players are too. They act like bullies until they actually get punched in the face.

Whatever penn state teams used to conjure up under Paterno have been totally done away with this staff. Discipline, sportsmanship, a team that was going to be physical, play hard, overachieve. Yes, paterno didn't win a ton at the twilight of his career, but I never wasn't sort of proud of the team we fielded and how the coaches/players mostly comported themselves. JPP is the perfect representation of this program. Talented, athletic, great measurables, but he acts like a punk. He lacks discipline, people seem to forget we had to pull him off the field last year all the time because of his PI issues. That body slam against Michigan isn't only dumb, it represents Penn State to a national audience. Lazy offensive linemen that have absolutely 0 toughness, that has defined us too. The locker-room cancers like Wade/Shelton have promoted a certain culture and it hasn't been stamped out. The linebackers like Smith that look like the perfect football players, but get out to the field and seemingly never make a big play. I knew we were in trouble from the jump, this is a team that denigrates its opponents at every moment(thumbs down signs when a DB makes a play), but they didn't do any of that yesterday(minus whatever this halftime deal was). After the Auburn game, we waived to their fans after we won and one of players took a hammer to the SEC logo right in front of Franklin, he didn't much care. I like Franklin enough, I'll always revere the school and this program, I'll continue to watch, but I am not going to hide my total disdain for the way they act and play. Someone mentioned that Franklin is insecure, his players are too. They act like bullies until they actually get punched in the face.
Really dude. You need to take a deep breath here.

Reactions: knickslions
Social media is a sewer. If some are playing in the sewer ( can't rule out media creating this controversy), it effects the team. As my drill instructor used to say...." If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough"

The beginning of the Franklin error featured the fish hook grill thing. This has been going on for close to ten years.

I don't particularly like it, but it's who the team is today.

Players seem to have fun.

LdN

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Wade and Shelton really polluted the team a couple yrs back with their Tweets spewing garbage and hate stuff. So disappointed they played for psu.

Reactions: winner01
Not shocking in the least. Wish they played as hard as they run their mouths.

That should be addressed, especially after that dismal performance. But it likely won't.
The team is soft, the old school PSU teams might talk back, but they hit back harder. Running your mouth on social media is something that make san old guy like me think someone is soft.

The beginning of the Franklin error featured the fish hook grill thing. This has been going on for close to ten years.

LdN
Having fun is fine, but I think they're soft mentally and physically. Run your mouth, but back it up with effort. Or just don't and put your effort into practice and training.

"Nip it in the bud"

Reactions: psuno1
Having fun is fine, but I think they're soft mentally and physically. Run your mouth, but back it up with effort. Or just don't and put your effort into practice and training.
If they are sitting in the locker room before the game texting then their heads are in the wrong place. That ridiculousness needs to be shut down by the coach's and captains. Talk is cheap, especially if you can't back it up on the field. Our PSU team got dominated in a humiliating way yesterday. They should knock off the trash talk and play football. The AD needs to give Franklin a message that that is unacceptable.

If they are sitting in the locker room before the game texting then their heads are in the wrong place. That ridiculousness needs to be shut down by the coach's and captains. Talk is cheap, especially if you can't back it up on the field. Our PSU team got dominated in a humiliating way yesterday. They should knock off the trash talk and play football. The AD needs to give Franklin a message that that is unacceptable.
Remember the 1985 and 1986 teams? Yes there was no social media , but they were mentally tough.

No matter what you believe or think a team reflects its coach and the identity/culture installed.
And the measure of the culture is the one who adheres to it the least. You are only as legit as your least committed member.

Unless you are BYU and you allow an alcoholic Catholic wild man like Jim McMahon on your team and ignore the fact that he broke every single rule of not only the football team, but also your religion. Ditto for Urby re Hernandez Gators.

K8ds today are different than those of us who grew up in the 70s/80s/90s. Technology has eliminated many of life's mysteries and commincation/gratification is immediate. I'm open to them expressing themselves in their own ways...but if one goes over the line there still should be a doghouse to sit in for awhile...but that would lead to transfers...the power dynamic has been reversed (except the coaches still make a ton of money off of their "student athletes" even with NIL.)

stupid

why would we be talking trash? we are not that good

It isn't about what you nor I think. It's about what they think.

And that is the problem. I see a lack of discipline and accountability. Not surprising at a university, or really any educational institution these days.

Some of the things Franklin said in his post-game were very telling. Complaining about the size of his linemen? Duh?

Reactions: KCLion and psu00
It isn't about what you nor I think. It's about what they think.

And that is the problem. I see a lack of discipline and accountability. Not surprising at a university, or really any educational institution these days.

Some of the things Franklin said in his post-game were very telling. Complaining about the size of his linemen? Duh?
Yeah, that was pathetic. 10 years in the BIG and he comes from the SEC and he's suddenly realizing good big guys beat small good guys every time. I guess the fact size matters isn't in.his analytics.

No discipline in this team, last year either. CJF had to take the heat but 37 year old SC too. Where is the leadership? Players too interested in preening and NIL instead of winning games. Time to sit people

Reactions: winner01
social media is a useless toy

doubt it had any impact on the actual game

Early in the game PSU stopped Michigan at the two.

Our players were out there flexing. Talking trash because they prevented a touchdown.

Unfortunately for our players Michigan earned another first down at the 3.

That lack of discipline is what I have become accustomed to with this team. And it bleeds into social media.

LdN

Yeah, that was pathetic. 10 years in the BIG and he comes from the SEC and he's suddenly realizing good big guys beat small good guys every time. I guess the fact size matters isn't in.his analytics.
In fairness to Franklin its not his fault Beamon lost 30 pounds trying to be like Aaron Donald. He never did gain the weight back and yesterday Michigan shoved his butt all over the field all day long like a rag doll.

LdN
They must've had a ball yesterday! 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT