ADVERTISEMENT

PA Regionals weekend

Shocker from the SE Reguonal at 182. Milano from Spring-Ford gets pinned by Hale from Downingtown West.

Looks like favorites prevailed in SW AAA

Wins by Dibert, Chappell, Phipps, Herrera, Nijenhuis, both Stouts, and 3 champs from Waynesburg, which won the team points race

Am I missing any surprises? (Hillegas did lose)

http://live.pa-wrestling.com/2019-2020/region-south-west-aaa/

Pretty chalk there. NE AA was crazy, but part of that is the seeding. Lots of 6 and 8 seeds from D4 knocking 1's and 2's off. Lackawanna Trail took 11 to Regionals and only one qualified finishing 4th.

Hey jefe what's your thoughts on Barnes from southern Columbia.
Dangerous. Probably the 2nd best guy at the weight behind Dowling -- but as a freshman, he'll get zero placement points, which will lock him into the 4 seed and Dowling in the semis. So pencil him in for 3rd.

Reactions: hlstone
Dangerous. Probably the 2nd best guy at the weight behind Dowling -- but as a freshman, he'll get zero placement points, which will lock him into the 4 seed and Dowling in the semis. So pencil him in for 3rd.
Penn state wrestler in the future ? He's a beast and only a freshman

I thought in Piaa state tournament your brackets were preset by Regional tournament placement.

I thought in Piaa state tournament your brackets were preset by Regional tournament placement.
PIAA seeds the regional champs based on last year's placement + this year's win %, then use pre-drawn brackets to fill in the rest of the field.

PIAA made the change after 2016. The pre-drawn brackets created a Pletcher-Sasso quarters match, despite them being both regional champs with 39-1 and 44-1 records respectively. Meanwhile, the other 3 regional champs combined for 8th plus 2 DNPs.

PIAA seeds the regional champs based on last year's placement + this year's win %, then use pre-drawn brackets to fill in the rest of the field.

PIAA made the change after 2016. The pre-drawn brackets created a Pletcher-Sasso quarters match, despite them being both regional champs with 39-1 and 44-1 records respectively. Meanwhile, the other 3 regional champs combined for 8th plus 2 DNPs.
How will they seed Kasak.
Could be bad draw for someone

How will they seed Kasak.
Could be bad draw for someone
Brackets are out:
1 - Jacob Van Dee, Erie Prep SO, NW-1, 37-3
2 - Keanu Manuel, Downingtown East JR, SE-1, 37-1
3 - Tyler Kasak, Beca FR, NE-1, 16-0
4 - Matt Repos, Central Dauphin FR, SC-1, 40-4
5 - Mac Church, Waynesburg Central FR, SW-1, 42-5

This makes sense -- the 3 freshmen get zero placement points. Van Dee gets more placement points for finishing 2 spots higher at regionals last year (both DNP at states).

In the end, this works out -- Kasak and Church should be the finalists, and are separated.

Brackets are out:
1 - Jacob Van Dee, Erie Prep SO, NW-1, 37-3
2 - Keanu Manuel, Downingtown East JR, SE-1, 37-1
3 - Tyler Kasak, Beca FR, NE-1, 16-0
4 - Matt Repos, Central Dauphin FR, SC-1, 40-4
5 - Mac Church, Waynesburg Central FR, SW-1, 42-5

This makes sense -- the 3 freshmen get zero placement points. Van Dee gets more placement points for finishing 2 spots higher at regionals last year (both DNP at states).

In the end, this works out -- Kasak and Church should be the finalists, and are separated.
i think Van Dee takes Church. He has wrestled him close twice and had a great regional tournament. He seems to be peaking.

Reactions: papride1
Interesting neighborhood.

To digress further, I lived in several different places in PA, but very little experience with the Northern Tier.
Someday, I'd like to make the trip across US Route 6 the length of the state from Ohio to NY.

Any posters know that route well, and have some must see stops?
For some stops in the western part of the state, I recommend the Kinzua Bridge Skywalk near Mt. Jewett and walking through the old growth forest in the Allegheny National Forest. Further west and you can visit the largest natural lake in PA, Conneaut Lake and depending on your preferences, you can stop to feed the carp at the Spillway in Linesville.

Reactions: royboy
For some stops in the western part of the state, I recommend the Kinzua Bridge Skywalk near Mt. Jewett and walking through the old growth forest in the Allegheny National Forest. Further west and you can visit the largest natural lake in PA, Conneaut Lake and depending on your preferences, you can stop to feed the carp at the Spillway in Linesville.
Nice area to visit. My brother and his drunk buds would bungee off the bridge before it went down. The Science channel included it on one of their episode of Mysteries of the Abandon. Pretty cool history lesson.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823138/episodes?season=1

Hayden Cunningham starts his state tournament with a pin in the prelims

Hayden Cunningham, State College, pinned Josh Jasionowicz, Stroudsburg, 4:46

Will soon face a tough opponent in Keanu Manuel of Downingtown East (37-1 record) in the Championship 1st round.

**note -- stuck this on the wrong thread

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT