ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Mitch is right! Maybe not a very deep tourney, but some very good finals.

Some potential finals of note:
- 121: Cael Nasdeo vs. Carson Wagner
- 127: Branden Wentzel vs. state finalist Brock Weiss
- 133: Ethan Lebin vs. Luke Simcox
- 139: champ vs. champ -- Dalton Perry vs. Scott Johnson
- 189: Tucker Hogan vs. Jake Jones
- 215: Austin Johnson vs. Haydn Packer

Reactions: danoftw
Vielma and Albanese had a great quarterfinal at the Top Hat, Vielma won 7-6 in part from 2 back points score off of a reversal at the first period buzzer.

And never pick a fight with the Serafini family from Central Mt…semi finalists at 189 and 160 and a little brother that is cut from the same mold

Reactions: LHavenlion
Central mountain has murders row with Simcox, Perry and Walizer. Could be the best back to back to back in the state

That was a dandy. Just saw the headlock. He has lots of big wins from that move. (Kilkreary, Johnson, and a few more) PSU is getting another good one

Vinny Kilkeary absolutely dominated the HIT this weekend. All matches won by fall (no one made it outside the 2nd period) including a pin in the finals over former state qualifier Jake Bennett from FLB

Reactions: danoftw
Any predictions Jefe?
Nazareth will win comfortably, but their health status will make it closer than it should be.

The best match should be 145 with Jake Doone and Oliver Fairchild, both state qualifies last year and could be a D11 final.

From my selfish end, Easton wrestled a ton this spring and summer, and I’m interested to see what kinds of jumps have kids taken? Jody has always been really good at taking average kids and wringing the most out of them, this team looks like it certainly have stars, but it doesn’t really have holes either. How they hold up against a great team in match one will tell me a lot.

There are a couple match ups that are old Easton kid versus young Nazareth ones that could be referendums. 138, 152, and 160 are three Nazareth freshmen who are good, but not necessarily medalists right out of the gate. Easton has a senior at 38, and two juniors at 52 and 60, with James Geiger at 152 getting a lot of internal shine for how much he’s improved in the off-season. If Easton wins those, the final score gets somewhat interesting. Or Nazareth can sweep and run them out of the building.

I’m assuming no Okamoto at 189 for Nazareth, so Easton can get a win there. Ditto if Kinney doesn’t wrestle. Ditto at 215 with no Sasso. Easton also should take 107 and 121. Fanelli and Parkins are two quality guys, but it’s more has Fanelli improved enough to make it a match than can he win.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
I just saw Holden Garcia from NDGP destroy
Luke Thomas from BECA who was State Qualifier last year. Garcia is going to be a handful at year end.

I’m not sure where to ask this but this seems like the best spot. What’s the story with the Bachmann brothers? I read a bit about them a couple years ago and seemed like they were winning everything even though they were super young. Lots of PJW titles and super 32 titles. How old are they, where will they go to high school, and are they supposed to be the next big thing? Seems like I haven’t heard anything about them recently but I few years ago there was more talk

They are amazing wrestlers and part of the group that transferred to Faith Academy. I watched them before and they are very skilled. I think their dad is the mastermind behind the whole emerge of FCA. A few people were saying as good as they are now, their jr high team is even better. I think that whole group was going to go to Malvern but decided to do it at a cheap private school. Smart move since they get the same type of schedule. After seeing the D4 wrestlers this weekend at midwinter, schedule is the difference from the average to above average. Then the above average to great.

My cousin, Mark Ambrose, Huntingdon HS class of 1987 is being inducted into the D6 Wrestling Hall of Fame this week.

3-time All American and a National Champion at Delaware Valley.
My older brother wrestled him (and lost ) in college

Reactions: KCLion
Section B of the rule says that 6th/7th grade redshirts may occur, but the student must sit out all sports for that extra year.

Pathetic how they just ignore the things that actually NEED fixed, yet stick their nose in this?
Disagree. PIAA's most important mission is protecting the health of the student athletes. The likelihood of injury is greatest for a fully mature 19-yo super senior playing against a 14-yo freshman, in many if not all sports.

So now parents will tell their kid to purposefully fail their classes? If you pass your classes, your penalized but if you fall, you keep your eligibility? I don’t like the message that sends
That won't happen. PIAA will interpret that as a completed year.

Maybe PIAA will grant waivers for lengthy hospitalizations. Maybe. If you're a parent or oach, you're not relying on PIAA to grant waivers regardless of circumstance -- especially flunking.

The bigger issue is if this drives kids out of state or to preps. Probably low risk for the Olympic sports. Football and Basketball, say hi to IMG Academy.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
That won't happen. PIAA will interpret that as a completed year.

Maybe PIAA will grant waivers for lengthy hospitalizations. Maybe. If you're a parent or oach, you're not relying on PIAA to grant waivers regardless of circumstance -- especially flunking.

The bigger issue is if this drives kids out of state or to preps. Probably low risk for the Olympic sports. Football and Basketball, say hi to IMG Academy.
like I said before who the heck wants to stay in high school another yr??NOT ME!!

ADVERTISEMENT