ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

This slipped my mind. Heard this week at Buffalo Valley practice that Faith academy got another set of brothers in from out of state and two other wrestlers toured the school. AA might not be the easy out anymore.
God only knows who NDGP has lined up from NJ coming in. Only good thing I heard was varret from Mcort left and went back to Dover PA. Might end up on Faiths roster soon
Verrette was listed as from Colorado at the U.S. Open. Doesn't mean the Dover/FCA thing isn't true, but that jumped out at me out there.

Joe Provini hired as the new head coach at Northampton. Provini has been on staff at Nazareth for 12 years, but is a teacher at Northampton already, which no doubt helped. He gets a lot of credit from the Nazareth crowd for being the organizational guy on staff - he manages the weight descent plans at Nazareth, which always get plaudits around here for kids dropping to optimal postseason weights without seeming to lose energy and strength on their way down, he's the match ups/lineup guy on that staff, and I think a lot of that will translate to being a head coach.

As a competitor, Provini was a DII qualifier at Shippensburg. He wrestled at Nazareth in the early '00s, making state semifinals as a junior and taking 6th, then winning D11 as a senior, but got knocked out in regionals.

Like I said when Seth Lisa resigned, Northampton is in a position to be really competitive in the next few years. Provini in an interview with the Morning Call compared it to a Ferrari who gets a new driver. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next few years.

NE Regionals-

there has been some great battles all day. This event was a cluster from the start. No place to sit and wall to wall people. Move this back to PA.
No one likes NJ except NDGP

Reactions: PaDistrict11
Tom Best was a fantastic wrestler. I am assuming the tourney is named after his dad? The Tom Best I wrestled would be around 51 or 52.
It's named for the 1980s wrestler, not his dad who was the coach at the time.

Tom Best Jr died in a car wreck a few years ago. IIRC the tourney was named in his honor shortly afterward.

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone

Tom Best Jr died in a car wreck a few years ago. IIRC the tourney was named in his honor shortly afterward.
That‘s too bad. I remember a conversation with Jr we had in high school that always stuck with me. We were at an AAU tournament somewhere and he was going to wrestle a state champ, I can’t remember who. Tom told us all how he was going to manhandle the other kid (although the language was a lot more colorful). It seemed like a really bold announcement.

Tom ended up losing, but I thought about how I wouldn’t have the guts to put myself out there like that, and how to be a top competitor you had to truly believe in yourself, especially against top competition. Tom was a lot better than me, and I think that’s part of the reason why. Winners have a different level of confidence.

If memory serves, Tom was a 4x state finalist who won his lone championship by fall with a headlock, which was pretty epic if you followed wrestling in the late 80s and were there.

Early favorite?

Before transfers that is, right BB?
You are 110% right. If you look at the list. It’s mostly schools who attract them. Kudos to Northampton, Chambersburg and Central Mountain for attending. On the technical side Perry and Simcox both moved to CM.

Excited to see what MS wrestlers make the move this summer. What jersey talent makes it into PIAA on Notre Dame? I heard McCruit, NDGP, Faith Academy and Becca are setting up booth at NHSCA this weekend. Just kidding.
Faith academy did just get more families in from out of state.

You are 110% right. If you look at the list. It’s mostly schools who attract them. Kudos to Northampton, Chambersburg and Central Mountain for attending. On the technical side Perry and Simcox both moved to CM.

Excited to see what MS wrestlers make the move this summer. What jersey talent makes it into PIAA on Notre Dame? I heard McCruit, NDGP, Faith Academy and Becca are setting up booth at NHSCA this weekend. Just kidding.
I get the feeling you were just waiting for someone to bring it up 🥸

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Not really waiting but I never pass up a chance to bash the privates.

nut-shot-nuts.gif

Perry didn't move to central mountain he grew up in renovo which is central mountain school district or keystone central

The Harer brothers are looking tough at VA beach. D4 is holding their own.
sealy over Arrington, but isn’t a surprise. Quest and YG in a war when I left.

'Does anyone know why Central Dauphin is not in any of these tournaments? They always have a good squad"

This might explain, a couple of transfers and lost an assistant.

Coach S had a really good stable about a dozen years ago with Pepplemans and Kenny Courts..

Now that you brought it up haven't seen him on the treadmill at Planet Fitness of late.

I finally had a chance to look at the PAUSA freestyle state results. Kudos to M2 and Buffalo valley WC. They are really bringing back Freestyle back into Central PA. Denny Harer, DT, Mcnight and Wirnsberger got us rolling again.
Some quick glances-
Connor Harer ripped through the bracket. #2 in the country, Anthony Mutarelli doesn’t place in top 4 and misses out on fargo. In that same bracket Trey Wagner takes fourth and was a Fargo Runner up last year. Wirnsberger brothers had good results. Gibson dominated a tough field and looks to be back. Faith academy dominated. They are going to win a AA state title next year and sirens will be going off. Move over NDGP and Reynolds.
Brookville always has good numbers at FS states and a reason they are a state power every year. M2 was the most dominate club it appears.

Denny Harer is a tool, although the kids are tough, great kids. I can tell you college coaches laugh at the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT