ADVERTISEMENT

Parking at Northwestern

bapsu_1

Aug 16, 2005
Considering going to the Northwestern game...anyone have firsthand experience with parking? Looking at NW website, it looks like it could be a real pain. Thanks.

Considering going to the Northwestern game...anyone have firsthand experience with parking? Looking at NW website, it looks like it could be a real pain. Thanks.
If you get there a bit early, it's not too bad. We've parked both in stadium lots and in the surrounding neighborhoods. 2 years ago we parked at a nearby rail station parking lot that was probably about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk.

We parked in Skokie and took public transportation to the stadium. About a 10 minute bus ride no problems.

Last time at NW -- 11/7/15 -- I parked on their campus for free. Then -- you can either walk approx one mile to stadium. OR take a free yellow school bus shuttle starting at a certain time???

I learned all this from PS -Chicago club.

It doesn't sound particularly friendly for tailgating if one has to take the train to get there.

It doesn't sound particularly friendly for tailgating if one has to take the train to get there.
Not really. My best advice is to purchase one of those $1 styrofoam coolers, fill the bottom with ice and beer, then top with a nice deli-made hoagie and other sides.

Once you exit the train and get close to the stadium and spy a nice park bench, plant yourself on said bench and proceed to "tailgate".

Tailgating is the downside of Northwestern if you commute via train, but it it sure beats driving.

Last time at NW -- 11/7/15 -- I parked on their campus for free. Then -- you can either walk approx one mile to stadium. OR take a free yellow school bus shuttle starting at a certain time???

It's been a few years since I went to our game at NW. The Chicago alums hosted a tailgate on the NW campus and we took the yellow school bus to the stadium.

Walked back - maybe a touch more than a mile. No cost for parking. Tailgate was a good deal because all you can eat and drink. Great time.

it really isn't. very limited parking. if you do park on the streets around the stadium, many streets are posted, as residents have parking stickers on their cars. we found out the hard way that the no parking signs were real if you don't have a permit..

Did the same thing in 2015: parked on-campus, a little tailgating there, then walked to the stadium. Which isn't that far, about a mile.

Do be prepared to walk - the shuttle buses seemed a little unreliable. Heard several people talking about such.

Northwestern does have a beautiful campus.

All great suggestions above. Used to live right near Dyche Stadium/Ryan Field many years ago, as well as a season ticket holder.

If driving, get there very early, at least 3 hours pre-kick. If you can get your hands on a East or West lot parking pass well ahead of game day, you can tailgate right there. Look online thru brokers for them.

The neighborhood schools/churches south and west of the stadium also offer decent opportunity to tailgate.

Most visiting schools' alumni will have their own tailgate for $20-$40 per person. If on the train, Mustard's is a great dive for burgers, hot dogs etc.

All that said, it's definitely not the kind of tailgate scene you are used to or at most schools.

Thanks for all the good advice. I assume buying a ticket at the stadium won't be a problem? I'll be in the area for work and it'll be a last minute decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT