ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State announcer Dean Devore

Football announcer Dean Devore needs to be replaced

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It doesn't matter to me ---- I just never made the connection that the guy I've heard for years as the PSU game announcer is also the guy I've heard for yers doing AccuWeather forecasts on various radio stations (mostly WWJ 950 in Detroit)!

Devore has gone full radio DJ-personality and thinks his stadium-shtick is integral with the game-experience... my kids play HS football and I hear more and more PA announcers think that they have some obligation to behave like some type of drive-time radio / wedding DJ

Is it time for Penn State football to replace their game announcer Dean Devore?

He is the worst PA announcer I have ever heard. Anywhere. We aren’t there to hear your unprofessional non-radio voice inflections. We aren’t there for you to suck up every moment of dead space with your horrible voice. We aren’t there for you to make game calls, let alone incorrect ones.

He has ruined the in-game experience and is f**king terrible at his job and has been since 2000 when during the Iowa game he was corrected on the field by the referee. And because it’s PSU he has a job for life.

Get the Spikes guy to do it. Get the crosscutters guy (a psu grad) to do it. F this clown.

I’m lucky if I can get to one game at Beaver Stadium a year. Every time I have gone since he started, I say out loud things that he is totally wrong on. How about in the Ohio State game this year when Sanders run to the 6 in the 3rd quarter was obviously marked short by a yard by the official and he’s gleefully yelling out ‘FIRRRRRRRST DOWN PENN STATE’. I remember yelling at my computer screen that he got another obvious one wrong. Calling Appy State the Apps? That’s grossly unprofessional. He needed to be gone 15 years ago.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Sitting in the stadium yesterday and the PA announcer says, "the Penn State defense in now on the field...." and I need to be told that?????
I felt the same. He said it couple times and I thought, "Gee, thanks for telling us ignorant fans inside the stadium the defense is now on the field." Next game he'll start telling us the Penn State offense has taken the field and that the guy in Sec. EGU, Row 77, has gotten up to use the restroom.

Reactions: gslachta
I wonder how many assistants Dean DeVore has. :eek:

If they see this thread, maybe the bot will give DeVore a promotion. :eek:

Reactions: gslachta
I try to go to at least one game a season. I was fortunate to be there yesterday. I was just so excited to watch my favorite team at one of the greatest venues in all of sports that I didn’t even notice or care that the PA announcer sucks, the stadium music sucks, that the weather sucked. There must be something wrong with me.

I try to go to at least one game a season. I was fortunate to be there yesterday. I was just so excited to watch my favorite team at one of the greatest venues in all of sports that I didn’t even notice or care that the PA announcer sucks, the stadium music sucks, that the weather sucked. There must be something wrong with me.

I am sure this will be a "get off my lawn" post but geez going to the stadium sucks. The ever present music cuts that are repeated every game are old and bothersome. I don't know how people in the South Upper Deck tolerate the sound levels. What made Beaver Stadium great in the day was the spontaneity of the crowd. "MAKE SOME NOISE" ???- please. The stadium generated its own vibe before all of the prompting and theatrical presentation by the PA announcer and the Audio/Visual crew.

I am sure this will be a "get off my lawn" post but geez going to the stadium sucks. The ever present music cuts that are repeated every game are old and bothersome. I don't know how people in the South Upper Deck tolerate the sound levels. What made Beaver Stadium great in the day was the spontaneity of the crowd. "MAKE SOME NOISE" ???- please. The stadium generated its own vibe before all of the prompting and theatrical presentation by the PA announcer and the Audio/Visual crew.

It’s not “get off my lawn” at all. There is simply a way to do it well and naturally penn state does it a different way and makes it awful. And being a PA announcer at psu is apparently a lifetime appointment.

Penn state hangs onto people too long Dean is a true clown and is terrible . Steve Jones is another one that makes a play sound sensational on the radio when it turns out to be an incompletion. We need an overhaul of announcers.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Dean also does PSU WVB. I think he does a fine job there.
I don't think he's that great at Rec Hall either. What I do believe he does very well is the radio broadcasts for WVB at the NCAA tournament. I'll watch the matches with TV sound down to listen to his call.

Sitting in the stadium yesterday and the PA announcer says, "the Penn State defense in now on the field...." and I need to be told that?????
Actually you would be amazed at the amount of obvious things that people need to be reminded of.

Think back to the days of attending a game that was a rarity - a televised game - and how annoying it was to sit there through TV timeouts - something we weren't used to.

Actually you would be amazed at the amount of obvious things that people need to be reminded of.

Sit in any stadium and you will observe people around you who don’t understand the game, talk or screw with their phones and miss plays, or find other ways to get confused.

Penn state hangs onto people too long Dean is a true clown and is terrible . Steve Jones is another one that makes a play sound sensational on the radio when it turns out to be an incompletion. We need an overhaul of announcers.

Radio is a different theatre altogether... i do not need a stadium announcer to do much more that tell me the player(s) / down+distance.... likewise if the home team gets a first down I do not need to know that the stadium-announcer is climaxing ...

Last edited:
Reactions: AldenT
At this point, I am absolutely flummoxed that Penn State University athletics has a football program with coaches, players, staff, administration, stadium personnel that are THIS bad, and an internet fan base that is THIS good.

I have no idea how it all came to this.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
At this point, I am absolutely flummoxed that Penn State University athletics has a football program with coaches, players, staff, administration, stadium personnel that are THIS bad, and an internet fan base that is THIS good.

If you believe in that stuff, the Book of Genis

I’ve been told that the Book of Genesis is useful reference guide on how things came to be. Or perhaps it all just exploded and here we are.

Sit in any stadium and you will observe people around you who don’t understand the game, talk or screw with their phones and miss plays, or find other ways to get confused.
Yes, I observe these folks...I usually see them on 3rd down and 2 yards to go at a crucial point in the game moments before the snap of the ball...they are standing/walking in the row directly in front of me (or in my row asking me to move)...headed to the restroom, concessions, or whatever, completely clueless about what is happening on the field.

I guess these folks help pay the bills. Seems their only reason for being there is so they can go to work on Monday and tell everyone they went to the Penn State game.

After a number of years of going to the games in Beaver Stadium, I have decided to stay home and watch on TV. I miss certain parts of the experience, like visiting with friends and the palpable energy of the stadium during a big game. But, I don't miss the weather issues, the 3 1/2 -4 hour drives each way, dealing with a bunch of self absorbed millenials or their equally self absorbed Gen X parents, horrible PA system at the stadium, and long lines at the washroom.

In my family room, the weather is perfect, the chili is always warm, the drinks are cold and plentiful, the TV announcers are tolerable, and the bathroom is a couple of steps away - no waiting. And I can keep the door open and watch the TV, so as to not miss a play.

Why didn't I think of this before?

Devore has gone full radio DJ-personality and thinks his stadium-shtick is integral with the game-experience... my kids play HS football and I hear more and more PA announcers think that they have some obligation to behave like some type of drive-time radio / wedding DJ
This clown reminds me of a high school PA announcer. Whitehall had a couple of them, Thankfully, they are gone, replaced by a true professional. The other guys open mike rooting was embarrassing. It was so egregious, opposing fans would comment on it. That’s what Devore reminds me of, egregious behavior.

Reactions: AldenT
After a number of years of going to the games in Beaver Stadium, I have decided to stay home and watch on TV. I miss certain parts of the experience, like visiting with friends and the palpable energy of the stadium during a big game. But, I don't miss the weather issues, the 3 1/2 -4 hour drives each way, dealing with a bunch of self absorbed millenials or their equally self absorbed Gen X parents, horrible PA system at the stadium, and long lines at the washroom.

In my family room, the weather is perfect, the chili is always warm, the drinks are cold and plentiful, the TV announcers are tolerable, and the bathroom is a couple of steps away - no waiting. And I can keep the door open and watch the TV, so as to not miss a play.

Why didn't I think of this before?
Have fun your way!:p

He is the worst PA announcer I have ever heard. Anywhere. .........

He has ruined the in-game experience and is f**king terrible at his job and has been since 2000..........

Get the Spikes guy to do it. Get the crosscutters guy (a psu grad) to do it. F this clown.

Ummmm......... I believe that DeVore is the Spikes PA announcer.

ADVERTISEMENT