ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State blows 19-point lead in 59-56 loss to Rutgers, dealt tough blow to dwindling NCAA Tournament chances

A bit of good news with Sparty beating Neb. Neb will most likely lose to Iowa giving them 12 conf losses. So if we can go 1-1 then we avoid the 12 seed. That means we would get Minny on Wed. much better than drawing O$U.

Looking a little further there is a decent chance we would draw Indiana on Thursday assuming we beat the Gophers. We have beaten them and they just got drubbed by Iowa at home.

A bit of good news with Sparty beating Neb. Neb will most likely lose to Iowa giving them 12 conf losses. So if we can go 1-1 then we avoid the 12 seed. That means we would get Minny on Wed. much better than drawing O$U.

Looking a little further there is a decent chance we would draw Indiana on Thursday assuming we beat the Gophers. We have beaten them and they just got drubbed by Iowa at home.
Just remember two things about Indiana. They were banged up when we played them with Thompson was out. And they have beaten Purdue twice, so I wouldn't be too excited about playing them outside of the Jordan Center. MSU was on fire in the second half last night outscoring Nebraska 54-29.

Just remember two things about Indiana. They were banged up when we played them with Thompson was out. And they have beaten Purdue twice, so I wouldn't be too excited about playing them outside of the Jordan Center. MSU was on fire in the second half last night outscoring Nebraska 54-29.
Indiana is wildly inconsistent. Purdue is their arch rival, think PSU vs Pitt in football back in the day. The got up for those games, PSU ain't no Purdue for them. Their PG Xavier Johnson who was hurt vs us still has not played in over 2 months. If he happens to play (and that is maybe 50 50) he won't be much of a factor as he will be very rusty. The other guy, Race Thompson, who was hurt is not a huge threat either. He is a big body at 6' 8" but Pickett is much, much better. Essentially you need to worry about two guys, Trace Jackson Davis and Jalen Hood Schifino (tall athletic guard). Their 3pt shooting is anemic. Indiana also has a horrid track record in the BTT, never won it and only once even been to the finals, only a few times even to the semis. Many, many losses in the quarterfinals. Look it up.

What's my point? We would have a decent shot vs them. Not saying we beat them but certainly wouldn't shock me if we did.

Indiana is wildly inconsistent. Purdue is their arch rival, think PSU vs Pitt in football back in the day. The got up for those games, PSU ain't no Purdue for them. Their PG Xavier Johnson who was hurt vs us still has not played in over 2 months. If he happens to play (and that is maybe 50 50) he won't be much of a factor as he will be very rusty. The other guy, Race Thompson, who was hurt is not a huge threat either. He is a big body at 6' 8" but Pickett is much, much better. Essentially you need to worry about two guys, Trace Jackson Davis and Jalen Hood Schifino (tall athletic guard). Their 3pt shooting is anemic. Indiana also has a horrid track record in the BTT, never won it and only once even been to the finals, only a few times even to the semis. Many, many losses in the quarterfinals. Look it up.

What's my point? We would have a decent shot vs them. Not saying we beat them but certainly wouldn't shock me if we did.
For what it’s worth, Indiana is the 16th best three point shooting team in the country (3rd in the Big Ten)…definitely not “anemic” (although they don't shoot many of them).

Personally, I’d much rather match up with Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, etc.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, Indiana is the 16th best three point shooting team in the country (3rd in the Big Ten)…definitely not “anemic” (although they don't shoot many of them).

Personally, I’d much rather match up with Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, etc.
No one hits besides Miller Kopp. And he does not take many because he can't get his shot off easily. They are not a great outside shooting team and certainly not prolific. So maybe they show up as #16th best on I guess % but how many do they make? They are not going to kill you by making 10 in a game or whatever. Also, I'm telling you they are a lousy BTT team, don't discount that. It is a decent matchup for us.

No one hits besides Miller Kopp. And he does not take many because he can't get his shot off easily. They are not a great outside shooting team and certainly not prolific. So maybe they show up as #16th best on I guess % but how many do they make? They are not going to kill you by making 10 in a game or whatever. Also, I'm telling you they are a lousy BTT team, don't discount that. It is a decent matchup for us.
Galloway and Bates are both pretty good outside shooters (Galloway is at 50% but he only takes a couple a game, and Bates is at 40% with a little bit higher volume). But in general, they only score about a quarter of their points from outside the arc (whereas we get 44% of our points from out there). Their offense is a lot more about scoring inside, but they can make 3's when they take them (then again, likely a little more selective with them).

I personally wouldn't put any stock in them being bad in the Big Ten Tourney...different roster every year, and they did win a couple of games and make it to Saturday last year.

Galloway and Bates are both pretty good outside shooters (Galloway is at 50% but he only takes a couple a game, and Bates is at 40% with a little bit higher volume). But in general, they only score about a quarter of their points from outside the arc (whereas we get 44% of our points from out there). Their offense is a lot more about scoring inside, but they can make 3's when they take them (then again, likely a little more selective with them).

I personally wouldn't put any stock in them being bad in the Big Ten Tourney...different roster every year, and they did win a couple of games and make it to Saturday last year.
I like the matchup. By the way Bates is a huge bust for them. Galloway good hustle guy. If TJD is on then yeah we could be in trouble but there are ways to defend him plus he has no shot beyond 3 feet.

Are we the tenth best or are we the 11th best? Or are we 12th? WIsconsin swept us and we split with Nebraska. We also split with Michigan as you may think we're better than them. Not sure we're you're getting 10th.

You had been saying "2 wins we're in" not "a coin flip on the bubble". You act as though you're an expert in this when you aren't and you display that with your posts. If we go 2-0 with a first round loss we both know other teams will make conference tournament runs to likely jump us and a couple spots will disappear when we get upsets.

Stats can also be misleading--you have to analyze them not take them at face value.
Bump

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT