ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State DE Davon Townley enters transfer portal

So Penn State has lost 4 players so far, only one of them on the 3 deep in Veilloux.

Isn't he the 5th? 6th if we count Porter, right?
If you count Porter then you also count Corum. So, no, we don't count Porter. I'd say PSU losing a 3rd string qb and 4 non 3 deep players is better than Michigan losing a proven QB2 who went to the CFP and Erick All.

If you count Porter then you also count Corum. So, no, we don't count Porter. I'd say PSU losing a 3rd string qb and 4 non 3 deep players is better than Michigan losing a proven QB2 who went to the CFP and Erick All.
Anyone leaving early counts as a departure. I'm not concerned about anyone leaving--we're in great shape.
Your weird obsession with pretending I'm a Michigan fan is crazy. Michigan's going to lose a ton of guys--so will Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc. All elite programs--just like we will.
It's great when kids leave early for the pros because that sells your program to recruits.

He’s a redshirt freshman . That’s awful early to bail
And start over IMHO . The portal sucks . No more
Underdog stories of the kid that waited for his chance
And then became a star .
Agreed but kids want to play--he wasn't seeing the field. He can go somewhere and play or at least believe he'll play.
We also never know which kids are encouraged to leave.

Who cares? What flavor cheese do you want with your whine?

Never understand why guys are all butt hurt when a player who isn't going to contribute hits the portal. It opens a scholarship for someone who can fill an immediate need. This young man can hopefully find a place that he can see playing time. Win -win.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
He’s a redshirt freshman . That’s awful early to bail
And start over IMHO . The portal sucks . No more
Underdog stories of the kid that waited for his chance
And then became a star .

Agreed but kids want to play--he wasn't seeing the field. He can go somewhere and play or at least believe he'll play.
We also never know which kids are encouraged to leave.

Go watch his reps. Particularly, I think, Minnesota. Poor strength coming in fresh vs Minnesotas wore down OL. He got shoved around pretty bad.

I'm not arguing that but kids won't stay if they aren't playing even if they shouldn't be playing--they have too many options
Maybe it’s time to cut back on the number of scholarships, since it appears as if a college team’s roster now is effectively the size of an NFL team’s roster. I mean, why give out 85 scholarships when it’s become unnecessary since most of the third and fourth stringers don’t stay anyway; it’s just a waste of time and money.

Maybe it’s time to cut back on the number of scholarships, since it appears as if a college team’s roster now is effectively the size of an NFL team’s roster. I mean, why give out 85 scholarships when it’s become unnecessary since most of the third and fourth stringers don’t stay anyway; it’s just a waste of time and money.
Because they need the scholarships to get kids from the portal lol

Anyone want to bash him for leaving before the bowl game? Seems like a missed opportunity for some on here to kill two birds with one stone. Shouldn't all these kids be waiting to portal til after the bowl games? /s

Anyone want to bash him for leaving before the bowl game? Seems like a missed opportunity for some on here to kill two birds with one stone. Shouldn't all these kids be waiting to portal til after the bowl games? /s
Only reasons I can think of why players would leave before a major Bowl like the Rose.
1. They’re really upset with the coaches and their situation.
2. If they know they’re leaving and won’t get any playing time why put in the work for nothing.
3. They figure they need to work full time on finding a new home if they don’t already have one.
4. Then again since they’re young kids and they could just be brain dead, and don’t fully grasp that they maybe missing a once in a lifetime experience. I know a player on 1994 PSU team that should have been National Champions. He never talks about the season, only the Rose Bowl, and he still wears his ring. Bye the way, he was a backup that rarely played. So times have changed.

Reactions: indynittany
No. The portal is open before the bowl. The borderline kids that wait might not find a new home. The remaining 4 years on scholly are worth more than a bowl.

Only reasons I can think of why players would leave before a major Bowl like the Rose.
2. If they know they’re leaving and won’t get any playing time why put in the work for nothing.
3. They figure they need to work full time on finding a new home if they don’t already have one.
4. Then again since they’re young kids and they could just be brain dead, and don’t fully grasp that they maybe missing a once in a lifetime experience. I know a player on 1994 PSU team that should have been National Champions. He never talks about the season, only the Rose Bowl, and he still wears his ring. Bye the way, he was a backup that rarely played. So times have changed.
None of this is true--this is not accepting, despite saying it, times of changed.
There is no such thing as a "major bowl game" when there's a playoff.

Yep, from a players perspective they want to get the process going, make a commitment to a team that wants them, apply and get accepted at that school, and then get enrolled, begin classes most likely in early January, get involved with team activities such as strength training, and then compete for playing time in Spring practice.

Pretty hard to see that happening in a timely manner if a player waited until after he got back from a January 2nd Rose Bowl game. Plus most of the open roster spots on perspective teams would have been long ago filled.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
None of this is true--this is not accepting, despite saying it, times of changed.
You just keep proving over and over that you’re a major jackass. I merely presented a few of my thoughts on why kids declared early. They may or may not be valid. You decided to ignore the possibility of a discussion on the reasons, and instead focus on your ridiculous war on denigrating bowl games for whatever reasons that circulate in your head.

Agreed outside of the playoffs they’re not meaningful today regarding the National Championship, but they’re fun and rewarding for the players after the season. They get to spend some more time with their friends doing what they like, and in many cases they pickup some neat swag. And I’m certain that the players on the 2022 team will be proud to wear their Rose Bowl ring, even though it’s not a playoff ring and thus unimportant to you. Is your life so miserable that you can’t allow the ones that go to enjoy them?

Regarding times changing, there wasn’t virtual free agency back then so few if any kids jumped ship before a bowl. That’s the change I was referring to. If I wasn’t clear that’s my fault.

Last edited:
You just keep proving over and over that you’re a major jackass. I merely presented a few of my thoughts on why kids declared early. They may or may not be valid. But you decided to focus on your ridiculous war on denigrating bowl games for whatever reasons that circulate in your head. Agreed outside of the playoffs they’re not that meaningful today, but they’re fun and rewarding for the players after the season. And in many cases they pickup some neat swag. Is your life so miserable that you can’t allow the ones that go to enjoy them? How about we cancel all the non playoff bowls, and everyone can just come over to your place and you can explain the meaning of life for us.
You didn't though. You're clearly were being critical of the kids for their decision to skips bowls. There's an infinite number of reasons you didn't list. We should cancel all the bowl games regardless of if you still think it's 1994 or not. Read your post again then claim it was merely a few thoughts and not criticism.

The purpose of this window is to get kids transferred before the spring semester. No more, no less.
You make it sound almost like a humanitarian mission. Although I don’t believe that’s what you intended. A better description would be that it’s more likely a cleansing process of unnecessary inventory to make room for new stock arrivals before the Spring semester.

You make it sound almost like a humanitarian mission. Although I don’t believe that’s what you intended. A better description would be that it’s more likely a cleansing process of unnecessary inventory to make room for new stock arrivals before the Spring semester.

For some teams, absolutely.

For others, they are losing the players they have developed to bigger name teams.

It's not coincidence that this occurs before the spring semester enrollment deadlines and again before the summer sessions.

Reactions: bison13
south park beat a dead horse GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT