Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020

Attachments

• 5611902F-E6AF-4F6C-9B3E-4D8E8F4188CA.jpeg
    5611902F-E6AF-4F6C-9B3E-4D8E8F4188CA.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Damn it. I wanted 1 more year of this guy. Wonder what would have happened if he stayed at MLB.

I'm surprised too. I don't know what his expectations are in the draft, but he's a little undersized and not yet talented enough to be a NFL DE.

He should have stayed another year for further development and to bulk up. I think this is a mistake. I see him drafted no sooner than 6th round if that. Maybe an undrafted free agent.

I'm surprised too. I don't know what his expectations are in the draft, but he's a little undersized and not yet talented enough to be a NFL DE.

He should have stayed another year for further development and to bulk up. I think this is a mistake. I see him drafted no sooner than 6th round if that. Maybe an undrafted free agent.
Like I said, by now it's a clear pattern: These guys have people in their ear that are not guiding them right.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised he decided to enter the draft. Would've been great depth for them next season.
Yep, wish PSU had him for another season as a captain and DE contributor. Will he even get drafted? I don't believe so unless he puts up some decent pro day numbers. Anyone believe he gets an invite to the combine?

Love how he fought through injuries and perservered and continued to work to find a position to contribute at. But he doesn't seem like the kind of athlete to get drafted as a LB in a 4-3 or a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. And pretty small and not dynamic enough to pay DE in the NFL.

But he's a fighter and hope he finds a role in the NFL. The type of player that could bust his butt an win a role on special teams and as a versatile defender.

This should open the door for one of the true freshmen DE's to see the field. Lyons looks like the most physically ready, but who knows. Need Fisher and/or Vilbert to step up.

Yep, wish PSU had him for another season as a captain and DE contributor. Will he even get drafted? I don't believe so unless he puts up some decent pro day numbers. Anyone believe he gets an invite to the combine?

Love how he fought through injuries and perservered and continued to work to find a position to contribute at. But he doesn't seem like the kind of athlete to get drafted as a LB in a 4-3 or a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. And pretty small and not dynamic enough to pay DE in the NFL.

But he's a fighter and hope he finds a role in the NFL. The type of player that could bust his butt an win a role on special teams and as a versatile defender.

This should open the door for one of the true freshmen DE's to see the field. Lyons looks like the most physically ready, but who knows. Need Fisher and/or Vilbert to step up.
He won't be drafted but probably wouldn't have been drafted anyway, even if he had stayed 1 more year.

Great kid. Need more like him. He’ll get a FA shot in the league. You never know but not sure Franklion wants or needs the guys that have the extra year back. Nourzad might be the exception but the others need to be moving on. DE has six quality guys with a couple of raw recruits coming in so no hit to that room.

Can't keep everyone currently on the roster, add 24 or 25 incoming freshman and snatch a few players from the portal....and stay at 85. Perhaps this has nothing to do with the NFL. Nick had some early injury issues, if I recall. He recovered nicely and was solid the past 2 years. Would he make a huge improvement with one more year? I feel like DE has some younger guys that will be looking for PT or they'll be hitting the portal.

Reactions: Online Persona
Current roster stands at 92 guys with Tarburton and Thompson announcements.

Hearing possibly 3 more recruits and 1 current recruit flips along with 3 more possible portal additions being 2 WRs and a DB.

There are 4 guys with an additional year but don’t see them returning.

That would mean 8 more guys hit the portal or NFL assuming Hussey flips.

Candidates would be 1 TE, 2 WRs, 2 OLs, 1 DL, 1 LB, and 1 K/P.

Overall roster would be better than this past year but QB room is thin…. again.

Talk about “cap” management! Such a fluid situation. Welcome to CFB.

Smith

The kid isn't delusional. He doesn't think he's getting drafted on day 1 or 2. He's simply ready to move on. I don't understand why fans pretend they don't understand these decisions.
Because selfishly "we/they" want their team to win. There used to be a time where the "student athlete" speil was all about uplifting lives through education "98% of our athletes go pro in something other than sports." Remember those ads?

Now it is about pulling together the best fantasy roster of players to compliment what you currently have in house. Allowing kids time to grow and mature seems to be an afterthought. Rewarding coaches and programs who take risks and develop less recruited players is dead too: witness Addison from Pitt to U$C. With the way things are going I do not blame him, but I don't like it either.

Rooting for players in this new system is more and more like rooting for laundry. We were at the early end of this curve with Silas Redd's " business decision." The person under the jersey is becoming less interesting as the NCAA allows teams to buy stars and switch sides like a YMCA basketball game.

Because selfishly "we/they" want their team to win. There used to be a time where the "student athlete" speil was all about uplifting lives through education "98% of our athletes go pro in something other than sports." Remember those ads?

Now it is about pulling together the best fantasy roster of players to compliment what you currently have in house. Allowing kids time to grow and mature seems to be an afterthought. Rewarding coaches and programs who take risks and develop less recruited players is dead too: witness Addison from Pitt to U$C. With the way things are going I do not blame him, but I don't like it either.

Rooting for players in this new system is more and more like rooting for laundry. We were at the early end of this curve with Silas Redd's " business decision." The person under the jersey is becoming less interesting as the NCAA allows teams to buy stars and switch sides like a YMCA basketball game.
Silas Redd also did nothing wrong when he left but the reality is many don't care about the kids they only care about the program hence your first sentence. Many kids that enter the draft early will still be going pro in something other than sports.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Like I said, by now it's a clear pattern: These guys have people in their ear that are not guiding them right.
Right. You should be their advisor. If a kid is a good player but not an NFL prospect what will you advise them to do?

Right. You should be their advisor. If a kid is a good player but not an NFL prospect what will you advise them to do?
I'm not gonna jump up and down and scream how everyone and their brother should run out and declare for the draft for phantom money they never get like you, that's for certain.

I'm not gonna jump up and down and scream how everyone and their brother should run out and declare for the draft for phantom money they never get like you, that's for certain.
What will you tell them? If a player has no shot at the NFL will you tell them to leave as soon as the get their degree?

This will end soon. No one gives a crap about football in Miami.
True, there is no fan base for Miami college FB, except, they have a bigtime booster paying kids. Wonder when he will foot the bill to bring Coach Diaz home. Maybe that is why Manny appears to be staying another year, waiting for the Hurricanes.

True, there is no fan base for Miami college FB, except, they have a bigtime booster paying kids. Wonder when he will foot the bill to bring Coach Diaz home. Maybe that is why Manny appears to be staying another year, waiting for the Hurricanes.
Why would they re-hire Diaz 2 years after they fired him?

Manny may leave for a head coaching job but unlikely to be at Miami.

Last edited:

Why rehire Manny, bring him home, admit they made a mistake. BTW, I think Manny has been fantastic for PSU and want him to stay. Shows Franklin is finally not afraid to hire strong coordinators.

Why rehire Manny, bring him home, admit they made a mistake. BTW, I think Manny has been fantastic for PSU and want him to stay. Shows Franklin is finally not afraid to hire strong coordinators.
So you believe Manny would go back to the place where he was fired?

Did you read the article I posted? He said he will be more selective going forward due to the experience at Miami and that he has a great job now. That it would take a better opportunity, implying that he did not have the support required to produce at a high level while at Miami. Not a fart's chance in a wind storm he goes back to Miami.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
Chances of Diaz going back to Miami as head coach? 1 in a million?

Reactions: marshall23
2 already have hit the portal and 2 more HS kids made pledges at the position.
Guess I was thinking Chop and Sutton need to get a lot of snaps. Then I think of Fisher, Vanover, Vilbert, Isaac....and Lyons, Robinson, Mupoyi ...My question would be how many can you keep happy?

Reactions: lazydave841

Florida will be calling next year unless they rise from the dead.

Reactions: lazydave841
Guess I was thinking Chop and Sutton need to get a lot of snaps. Then I think of Fisher, Vanover, Vilbert, Isaac....and Lyons, Robinson, Mupoyi ...My question would be how many can you keep happy?
You named 6 returning.

Isaac hasn't made a decision about going to the NFL.

Vilbert sat out the whole year for unknown reasons, likely discipline, and who knows if he stays.

Fisher has not had a chance to show much, and really didn't create any highlights when he did get on the field. But the staff seems high on him. He looked like a missil in his H.S. highlights, but he doesn't seem to have the height and length of most of the best DE's PSU has fielded recently.

And there is no guarantee that any of the 2023 true freshmen will be ready to play, as Mupoyi is thin and somewhat of a project. And Robinson looks pretty light as well. Lyons looks like the most physically ready. It would be great if either or both of Lyons and Robinson enrolled in January so they could add some muscle in the S&C program but I've seen nothing about either of them graduating H.S. early.

It seems like with the injuries that regularly occur PSU needs at least 5 DE's ready to play and contribute. If Isaac does not return there would be only 5 at most and it might force one of the true freshmen to play, ready or not.

It would seem that Isaac would progress both physically and production wise if he returns given how it can take more than a year to fully recover from a serious knee injury. But he was a 2019 class recruit and has been at PSU for 4 years so who knows what he'll do.

Would have been great to have Tarburton back as he was so solid versus the run and also seemed to have his best season rushing the QB as well. But with Chop, DDS, Vanover and hopefully Vilbert PSU would still have a great base rotation. I was impressed by the play and hustle of Vanover particularly in the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT