ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State fans should root for Michigan in Big 10CG, ugh!

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Penn State fans should root for Michigan in the Big 10 Championship Game. Despite all the talk of Penn State being picked over Ohio State for the Rose Bowl, if Purdue should upset Michigan, it becomes a moot point. Purdue would go to the Rose Bowl as Big 10 Champion. I'm pretty sure it's in the contract between the Rose Bowl, Big 10 and Pac 10 that the Big 10 champion, if not chosen for the playoff, automatically goes to the Rose Bowl, lower ranking be damned.

Reactions: Mroad and Jerry
I would gladly give up cotton/Rose (though who knows) for the sheer joy of seeing UM lose

The problem is, Michigan losing would not hurt Michigan at all. They're going to the playoffs regardless.

But it would hurt us a lot...so though I won't exactly be "rooting" for Michigan...<gag>...I will be entertaining the forbidden hope that they win. However, if questioned afterward, I will deny ever feeling such sentiments.

4b05e18bd39dea65df5ba5f99e170645.gif

Reactions: MWes11 and bison13
The problem is, Michigan losing would not hurt Michigan at all. They're going to the playoffs regardless.

But it would hurt us a lot...so though I won't exactly be "rooting" for Michigan...<gag>...I will be entertaining the forbidden hope that they win. However, if questioned afterward, I will deny ever feeling such sentiments.
I think it’d hurt them more. Either way we finish 12-2 with win. They’d drop to 4th. Face UGA 1st round. They likely wouldn’t make final. Playing TCU (or USC) is better.

Even if we play citrus instead. The benefit (2 Gane losing streak, not winning conference for UM, the laughter id get) would make playing down better. It’s not like we now go to Detroit

I think it’d hurt them more. Either way we finish 12-2 with win. They’d drop to 4th. Face UGA 1st round. They likely wouldn’t make final. Playing TCU (or USC) is better.

Even if we play citrus instead. The benefit (2 Gane losing streak, not winning conference for UM, the laughter id get) would make playing down better. It’s not like we now go to Detroit

Gotta disagree with you here. They stay in playoffs. We get booted from NY6. No matter how you cut that, we take the bigger hit. I would bet you dollars to donuts that Franklin feels the same way.

11-2 with a win and they might only fall to 3

Penn State fans should root for Michigan in the Big 10 Championship Game. Despite all the talk of Penn State being picked over Ohio State for the Rose Bowl, if Purdue should upset Michigan, it becomes a moot point. Purdue would go to the Rose Bowl as Big 10 Champion. I'm pretty sure it's in the contract between the Rose Bowl, Big 10 and Pac 10 that the Big 10 champion, if not chosen for the playoff, automatically goes to the Rose Bowl, lower ranking be damned.
Never not happening go Purdue hoping for the upset

No way they are in playoff if Purdue finds a way to win

100% lock to be in the playoff even if they lost 49-0

I don't know, 49-0 might give the committee pause, but that's not happening...and in the event of a more ordinary loss, they'll be in. It's a done deal...not even under discussion.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Nope. Which meaningless bowl PSU goes to doesn't matter. Go Boilermakers!!

Reactions: bison13
If Michigan loses and everything else holds par, Michigan is in and likely at worst #4. They are in, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
Purdue is my second team, as my late father was a proud alum. I’ll be cheering them on heavily on Saturday.

The Boilermakers also hold the record for the number of times they have knocked off a #2 team when they themselves were unranked. That sets the stage perfectly! :)
for some reason, I find it hard to root against Purdue. I think they are my second favorite B1G team. Hey, that would be a good poll question: What is your favorite non-PSU B1G team?

Nope

What is your favorite non-PSU B1G team?
i think of it tiers.
Tier 1 will always toot for unless it affects PSU.
This tier is Illinois (wife alum) NW/Purdue/Indy/Wiscy know many alums and or had good experience at their venues.

Don’t care enough about but don’t like to root for - MSU/Minny

Struggle to root for
Mich (family reasons) Nebraska (94 though with them sucking it’s easier)

Will never root for
OSU (family is huge mich fans and I grew up in the 80s) Iowa RU Md

Reactions: Obliviax
I’d rather root for the roof to cave in.

i think of it tiers.
Tier 1 will always toot for unless it affects PSU.
This tier is Illinois (wife alum) NW/Purdue/Indy/Wiscy know many alums and or had good experience at their venues.

Don’t care enough about but don’t like to root for - MSU/Minny

Struggle to root for
Mich (family reasons) Nebraska (94 though with them sucking it’s easier)

Will never root for
OSU (family is huge mich fans and I grew up in the 80s) Iowa RU Md
I like how you put that together. To me it would go like this:

Tier One: PSU and only PSU

Tier Two: Purdue, NW, Indy, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Sparty

Tier Three: tOSU, Michigan, Illinois (can't stand their coach), MD, Rutgers

Linearly I'd go:
  1. PSU
  2. Purdue
  3. NW
  4. Minny
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Indy
  7. Knebraska
  8. Iowa
  9. Sparty
  10. MD
  11. Rutgers
  12. Illinois
  13. tOSU
  14. Michigan

Reactions: CVLion
I like how you put that together. To me it would go like this:

Tier One: PSU and only PSU

Tier Two: Purdue, NW, Indy, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Sparty

Tier Three: tOSU, Michigan, Illinois (can't stand their coach), MD, Rutgers

Linearly I'd go:
  1. PSU
  2. Purdue
  3. NW
  4. Minny
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Indy
  7. Knebraska
  8. Iowa
  9. Sparty
  10. MD
  11. Rutgers
  12. Illinois
  13. tOSU
  14. Michigan
Good list. I feel like Northwestern Purdue and Minnesota are generally easy to root

ADVERTISEMENT