ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Football kicks off winter workouts, who were the Day 1 winners?

Some of the first picks almost look strategic.

Pribula seems like a great young man, a hard worker, and a leader, but he doesn't seem to have the arm, or size, to be a QB that could lead PSU to the playoff.

Dawkins in his 5th year seems to have the most experience at Center on the 2024 roster. But has never impressed with his play as he has with his S&C work and leadership, and might get passed by 1 or 2 other inside olinemen on the depth chart at Center before next season.

Elsdon seems like a great young man and hard worker, but his play on the field had progressed from being on the ground consistently watchiing UM RB's fly by to in his 4th year at PSU merely being a distant second at Mike to King. It seems that PSU has too much young talent at LB, Robinson at Mike for example, for Elsdon to even hold his spot on the roster. But his work ethic as an example to the other players puts him in the eye of the staff.

I could be 100% wrong about my take on this. And I hope that I am. And most of those selected seem to be likely candidates to be team captains for 2024.

Great to see Fisher off to a great start. He came back faster last season than expected and could be a key DE in the rotation at least, and this Spring has a legit place in the competition to start next to DDS at DE, along with Vanover, Lyons and possibly Vilbert.

Same with Schlaffer, although the talent in front of him at TE seems to put him in a multi-year process to add strength and develop until his number is called in a year or two.

Last edited:
what is the definition of a winner? is it someone who just worked really hard? Someone who improved? Someone who was a great teammate? Someone who just outperformed the others in that position grouping? Just the opinion of the position coach? Is there a metric or completely arbitrary?

None of this matters as to who starts or playing time. These workout “props” are just for guys that for one reason or another stood out today. Or a little gig to push others before the next session.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT