ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Football QB Jaxon Smolik out with injury

Too bad I wanted to see him and Grunkmeyer in the BW game.

If it's in deed an ACL, Grunk will be QB3 for PSU this season. Bad break for Smolik but it will push Grunk's development forward somewhat this season.

And Jack Lambert, sure to be a fan favorite and at the top of the "all name" team, should get some snaps in the B/W game as well....

That’s a shame. Supposedly he was better last year than they expected him to be in his true freshman season. Definitely hurts his starter chances in 2025.
True. It should be an interesting competition for 2025 but if Pribula comes back and assuming Allar goes to the draft, Pribula surely would be the odds on favorite to start the 2025 season as the starter, and could return for 2026. Smolik, Grunk and the 2025 QB(s) should have an interesting competition for the 2026 or 2027 QB job. Allar could decide to return for 2025 as well. Who knows.

True. It should be an interesting competition for 2025 but if Pribula comes back and assuming Allar goes to the draft, Pribula surely would be the odds on favorite to start the 2025 season as the starter, and could return for 2026. Smolik, Grunk and the 2025 QB(s) should have an interesting competition for the 2026 or 2027 QB job. Allar could decide to return for 2025 as well. Who knows.
I think Allar either goes to the draft or he transfers elsewhere. I can’t picture a scenario where he stays for a fourth season after not being good enough to go to the draft after the third season.

If Pribula would enter the portal, the QB situation could be problematic.
Pribula is probably the worst passing QB on the roster. If he transfers after the season, I wonder if they’d bring in a veteran QB transfer for a year.

I think Allar either goes to the draft or he transfers elsewhere. I can’t picture a scenario where he stays for a fourth season after not being good enough to go to the draft after the third season.
He is either in the 20% of 5*s who stay or the 80% who transfer. Wisdom

Pribula is probably the worst passing QB on the roster. If he transfers after the season, I wonder if they’d bring in a veteran QB transfer for a year.
There is a real chance that Allar stays for 2025 and that could be what might push Pribula to transfer. But then again Pribula might be the unique young man that just likes being a part of PSU football even if he only gets to compete to start as a RS Sr. But even if he does transfer, with Grunk #3 for 2024 and Smolik being in his 3rd year at PSU in 2025, along with the fact that PSU looks to be bringing in 2 QB's in the 2025 class, I don't see PSU bringing in a transfer QB for 2025. In fact I believe Franklin would prefer to not ever bring in a transfer QB. QB's need to be team leaders and have significant experience with the offense and the offensive personnel. I like the model that Franklin seems to be following of bringing in enough QB's in the recruiting classes such that it isn't necessary to bring in transfer QB's in all but the most dire circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I think a lot depends on his relationship with Kotelnicki. Even if he doesn't get to day 1 draft pick level this season, if he likes Kotelnicki and feels he is improving he may stick with PSU. The WR room may also be a factor. If either of those don't pan out I could also see him transferring to put one great year on film and boost his draft status. That said, the NFL loves to draft QBs based on measurables too, so Allar might get a high draft grade even if the on field performance is a bit below what we are all hoping for.

Sounds like Grunk has shown up to play. He’s more naturally gifted as a passer than Pribula, while still have really solid running capability. I wouldn’t be surprised if Grunk was our starting QB in Fall 2025.

Reactions: GregInPitt
There is a real chance that Allar stays for 2025 and that could be what might push Pribula to transfer. But then again Pribula might be the unique young man that just likes being a part of PSU football even if he only gets to compete to start as a RS Sr. But even if he does transfer, with Grunk #3 for 2024 and Smolik being in his 3rd year at PSU in 2025, along with the fact that PSU looks to be bringing in 2 QB's in the 2025 class, I don't see PSU bringing in a transfer QB for 2025. In fact I believe Franklin would prefer to not ever bring in a transfer QB. QB's need to be team leaders and have significant experience with the offense and the offensive personnel. I like the model that Franklin seems to be following of bringing in enough QB's in the recruiting classes such that it isn't necessary to bring in transfer QB's in all but the most dire circumstances.
IMO Aller’s draft status will depend on the development of his pocket presence. He has the arm and he has the intelligence, what I have not seen on a consistent basis is patience in the pocket. The great QB’s step up, and go through their progressions and find the open receiver.

What a stupid post.
I second that. Also Pribula was a tremendous quarterback in high school. He looks like the kind of player who not only has the physical tools but the competitive mindset to improve. We have two very good quarterbacks who can both be great.

I can picture a scenario where he's good enough for the draft but comes back because we were close to winning it all and he wants another shot.

IMO Aller’s draft status will depend on the development of his pocket presence. He has the arm and he has the intelligence, what I have not seen on a consistent basis is patience in the pocket. The great QB’s step up, and go through their progressions and find the open receiver.
I'm not sure that's his issue. He does a great job of not making mistakes and can make all kinds of plays against defenses that aren't elite. I think he doesn't trust his receivers and is unwilling to zip the ball into the tight windows that are sometimes all you're going to get against elite defenses.

I'm not sure that's his issue. He does a great job of not making mistakes and can make all kinds of plays against defenses that aren't elite. I think he doesn't trust his receivers and is unwilling to zip the ball into the tight windows that are sometimes all you're going to get against elite defenses.
Well, unless that changes, he won’t get drafted after this upcoming season. In order for him to be drafted after this upcoming season, he must improve his on-field leadership skills and demonstrate that he can complete passes with narrow windows and routes that are longer than ten or twenty yards, especially against the few elite teams that we play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT