ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State game observations - Beaver Stadium

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I noticed this year, having attended three home games, that the scores of other games were not shown on a scoreboard nor announced by the P.A. announcer. It seems that has been the case the last few years. Is there a reason for that?

Just another observation: I noticed long-time sponsors Sheetz and Hershey's absent from stadium advertising. Seemed odd.

Is it really necessary now that everyone has a smartphone in their pocket?
Does yours actually work during a big game? I sent messenger to a friend 45 minutes before the start of the Minny white out and it wasn’t received until they were on their way home after the game.

That said, the scores are on the ribbon if one looks hard enough.

Reactions: psu00 and john4psu
I noticed this year, having attended three home games, that the scores of other games were not shown on a scoreboard nor announced by the P.A. announcer. It seems that has been the case the last few years. Is there a reason for that?

Just another observation: I noticed long-time sponsors Sheetz and Hershey's absent from stadium advertising. Seemed odd.

Interesting. My buddy works for Hershey and got free tickets to the whiteout game this year. Since he's not a huge Penn State fan I went with him. They were great seats and came with admission to the corporate sponsor tailgating prior to the game. The event had pretty good food and indoor bathrooms so it was a win-win. I didn't really notice any Hershey advertisements though now that you say it.

Reactions: john4psu
Does yours actually work during a big game? I sent messenger to a friend 45 minutes before the start of the Minny white out and it wasn’t received until they were on their way home after the game.

That said, the scores are on the ribbon if one looks hard enough.

All I remember seeing is advertising on the ribbon.

Scores from other games are show on the ribbon scoreboards on the south and north decks except at timeouts when they show the countdown clock for return to action.
This is accurate. Scores of other games are shown there throughout the game.

I've heard rumors of people having internet access in the stadium during big games, but very rarely does my service work. The usher in front of me appeared to be using her phone, so I asked who her service was, and her reply was verizon, but that hers wasn't working either and she was just seeing if it was indeed working and it wasn't.

Only when people start leaving do i seem to get some service. My son has stopped trying to get a scores page during games. FWIW, this only affect me at PSU. Have had no issues with internet or texting photos at Auburn, WIsky, the Shoe, The Outhouse, Heinz, the Linc, Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT