ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State Junior Day Recruit Visitor List -- Jan. 21st edition

That's two weekends of recruit visitors without a DT prospect. Maybe they'll all be there for Bue White weekend. We probably need 2-3 in the 2024 class.

The 247 2024 "prospects" list for DL is linked below, and although there are a decent number of interior Dlinemen listed there are very few within the neighboring states recruiting area. Seems the staff does better at getting RB's, WR's, DB's to come up from the south and in from the west for visits than they do DT's. Coincidence? Who knows.....

The 247 2024 "prospects" list for DL is linked below, and although there are a decent number of interior Dlinemen listed there are very few within the neighboring states recruiting area. Seems the staff does better at getting RB's, WR's, DB's to come up from the south and in from the west for visits than they do DT's. Coincidence? Who knows.....

Man that list is depressing. Very few high rated DL prospects even showing interest in us. Seems weird because we have a top DL coach, a great DC, our defense has looked great and that attacking style should be appealing to DL recruits, we are on the upswing and finished #7 in the country, we put a lot of DL into the NFL and have a couple of high sack total guys there. It seems like we should have the attention of top rated DL but for some reason just don't.

Man that list is depressing. Very few high rated DL prospects even showing interest in us. Seems weird because we have a top DL coach, a great DC, our defense has looked great and that attacking style should be appealing to DL recruits, we are on the upswing and finished #7 in the country, we put a lot of DL into the NFL and have a couple of high sack total guys there. It seems like we should have the attention of top rated DL but for some reason just don't.
Yep this seems to be a critical year for DT recruiting. I'm more optimistic than some here on the 2023 DT group even if Franklin and Scott can't find any help in the portal, as long as there isn't a rash of injuries next Fall. Pretty solid group returning and those players will get better as a group from year to year, S&C, experience, maturity.....

Durant and Artis from the 2022 class, and only 1 DT in the 2023 class hurts. But Durant is a keeper and if Artis is ready to play in 2023 the staff will have them to build around going forward. Van den Berg as well. Pretty interesting that in the last 2 classes the big DT's signed were both from NY (Artis and Blanding), a state that doesn't usually produce too much top talent. Have to hope the staff found some DT gems from there.

But as you noted there doesn't seem to be numbers at DT in the normal PSU recruiting hot bed states. Franklin has to hope that some extra NIL focus or something can be added to his normal recruiting methods at DT for the 2024 class. And it seems he'll continue to look to the portal this Spring to find a player that isn't satisfied where he's at after Spring practice at another top program. It would seem that the players hoping to jump up in class would have already figured that out during the recently closed portal activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
Who are the high rated DTs in the region? Give us the list of 300lb+ DTs.

You said the defense looked great??? The same fans have been complaining about DT recruiting for 10 years and the defense "looked great."

Last edited:
Do we need to make a coaching change at DT? Isn't this the reason Stubblefield is gone? Why are recruits not looking at us?

You're kidding, right? There are a total of 8 DT's in the Country at or above 300lbs who are rated at all, and a total of 36 regardless of rating. Think about this for a moment....8 DT's who are both rated AND at 300lbs or more. Of those 8 DT's, 7 are 3-stars and 1 is a 5-star. This is according to Rivals.

So, there is exactly 1 DT in country who meets your requirements.

Ok
You're kidding, right? There are a total of 8 DT's in the Country at or above 300lbs who are rated at all, and a total of 36 regardless of rating. Think about this for a moment....8 DT's who are both rated AND at 300lbs or more. Of those 8 DT's, 7 are 3-stars and 1 is a 5-star. This is according to Rivals.

So, there is exactly 1 DT in country who meets your requirements.
8 in the whole country???? Well that is the problem and it is not a psu problem.

How many of those 8 are in psu territory? I will set the over/under at .5. Take the under.

When there are only 8 in the whole country and 0 in the Northeast, how many do you think will end up at psu?

It is not my requirement. You are the ones complaining. These are your requirements.

Last edited:
Do you really think psu signed 3 TEs in the 2023 class with the plan of them all sticking at TE? They also signed 3-4 DEs. Will it make you happy if they list someone as DT?

You said the defense looked great??? The same fans have been complaining about DT recruiting for 10 years and the defense "looked great."
Think your barking up the wrong tree. I just laid out all the great things going for PSU in recruiting and specifically success on DL including recent NFL picks.

Ok

8 in the whole country???? Well that is the problem and it is not a psu problem.

How many of those 8 are in psu territory? I will set the over/under at .5. Take the under.

When there are only 8 in the whole country and 0 in the Northeast, how many do you think will end up at psu?

It is not my requirement. You are the ones complaining. These are your requirements.
One 3-star is in NJ.

One 3-star is in NJ.
0 listed at 300lbs+ which seems to be what you all want. Only 8 ranked in the whole country according to you. There are not many of those guys and that is the problem for everyone.

Last edited:
0 listed at 300lbs+ which seems to be what you all want. Only 8 in the whole country according to you. There are not many of those guys and that is the problem for everyone.
No, not according to me. As I clearly stated above, only 8, 300+lb DT's that are ranked exist on Rivals. Do not change my words.

Here's a list of every DT with a rating on rivals. Make sure it is sorted by weight "WT". You may have to click the search button. Count the 8 guys that are 300lbs+

No, not according to me. As I clearly stated above, only 8, 300+lb DT's that are ranked exist on Rivals. Do not change my words.

Here's a list of every DT with a rating on rivals. Make sure it is sorted by weight "WT". You may have to click the search button. Count the 8 guys that are 300lbs+

Does the high school kid have to be over 300? An athletic 285 then have him gain 20 pounds of muscle once he gets to campus. There you have your 300.

Does the high school kid have to be over 300? An athletic 285 then have him gain 20 pounds of muscle once he gets to campus. There you have your 300.
Well, I think a stout 260 lber can be transitioned into a DT so you need to ask those here that stated the 300lb requirement.

Recruiting sites should date the measurables. Kevin Givens 247 profile has three different weights. 275 DT at psu. 245lb OLB recruiting profile. 247 Scouting report 205 lb.

I have been on the Barnwell to DT train since he recommitted last year. He has the frame and athleticism to add thirty lbs and still be able to run.
I'm hoping for Barnwell to end up at OT. He's tall, long and athletic and I hope Trautwein sells him on the fact that athletic OT's name their price in the NFL.....

I'm not sleeping on Townley. Someone a couple days ago thought that Townley gaining 20 lbs this off season as he transitions to DT was a stretch. But he's listed at 6'6" 267 and could easily be 290 by this Fall when he would likely be the 6th or 7th DT. And then be 305 by the start of 2024 when if he progresses at DT could be in the main 4 DT rotation. Townley has been a DE so it could take a little while until mixing it up inside comes naturally.

Here's how BSD sees the DL for 2023:

Last edited:
PSU defense compiled some good stats for the year (and seemed esp. good in 2nd half of season -- see below)

Sacks -- 43 by PSU, 21 by opponents
Tackles for loss -- 104 by PSU, 59 opponents
Interceptions -- 14 by PSU, 7 by opponents
Fumbles recovered -- 12 by PSU, 8 by opponents

Last 5 games (vs Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan State, Utah)
26 sacks
46 (!) tackles for loss

Plenty of talent and experience returning

PSU defense compiled some good stats for the year (and seemed esp. good in 2nd half of season)

Sacks -- 43 by PSU, 21 by opponents
Tackles for loss -- 104 by PSU, 59 opponents
Interceptions -- 14 by PSU, 7 by opponents
Fumbles recovered -- 12 by PSU, 8 by opponents

Plenty of talent and experience returning
Nice.

Easy to imagine the 2023 DE's surpassing the 43 sacks, with some help from Carter, CB blitz's, ...

Same with TFL's

Looking for Wheatley to take over for Brown as secondary turnover leader. But King and Duck should come up with some picks as well. And Ellis finally looked like he could be an impact Safety during the last few 2022 games.

The defense should hit the ground running in 2023. And the running game will be very good. The question for me is how long will it take for the passing game to make plays against a good defense when they need to.

Nice.

Easy to imagine the 2023 DE's surpassing the 43 sacks, with some help from Carter, CB blitz's, ...

Same with TFL's

Looking for Wheatley to take over for Brown as secondary turnover leader. But King and Duck should come up with some picks as well. And Ellis finally looked like he could be an impact Safety during the last few 2022 games.

The defense should hit the ground running in 2023. And the running game will be very good. The question for me is how long will it take for the passing game to make plays against a good defense when they need to.
Saw that PFF had Chop listed as the highest performing edge rusher in the nation. He now gets starter (not co-starter) reps. Dennis-Sutton also produced decent numbers in limited reps. He had some challenges as well but my guess is that he progresses this offseason and becomes another strong edge rusher with the size to set the edge against the run. I also think Isaac didn't really work out the coming back from injury kinks until later in the season.

And I like what we bring back to DT. It was deep and talented. PJ is a loss because of his body type but he didn't fully recover to his pre-injury dominance. I think Izzard and Ellies at the 1 with another year in the strength program could be very effective. I would also think Beamon and Durant both show up at 280+ at the 3 without much loss of speed.

LB looks like it can take another step forward as well particularly with depth. I'd think King takes hold of the middle and we see continued growth from the 2 on the outside. But we should start to see effective depth in Wylie, Mills, Rojas, Robinson, and Keys. At least a couple of those guys will probably see a decent number of reps. I thought Sutherland was still a bit of a liability although experienced. But now that depth will get a youth movement and talent upgrade.

The secondary should still be just as strong despite losing Porter as King actually outgraded him and Dixon and Hardy are back to lock it down. I'm just not as confident in the depth. Duck should be there but maybe Miller is ready or inbounds Tracy and Payne? Someone is going to get those 2nd string reps. Agree with you on Ellis looking good near the end of the season and Brown while very good can be replaced with a ball hawking Wheatley. Again proven depth will be short. Is Reed ready to go? What about inbounds like Washington, Mack, or Nelson?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yes, there seems to be a myth of wardaddy DTs coming straight out of HS. That seems pretty rare. I think the more probable path is good size and great movement then a whole lot of training table and strength and conditioning. My guess is those wardaddies are made as much as they are recruited.

Saw that PFF had Chop listed as the highest performing edge rusher in the nation. He now gets starter (not co-starter) reps. Dennis-Sutton also produced decent numbers in limited reps. He had some challenges as well but my guess is that he progresses this offseason and becomes another strong edge rusher with the size to set the edge against the run. I also think Isaac didn't really work out the coming back from injury kinks until later in the season.

And I like what we bring back to DT. It was deep and talented. PJ is a loss because of his body type but he didn't fully recover to his pre-injury dominance. I think Izzard and Ellies at the 1 with another year in the strength program could be very effective. I would also think Beamon and Durant both show up at 280+ at the 3 without much loss of speed.

LB looks like it can take another step forward as well particularly with depth. I'd think King takes hold of the middle and we see continued growth from the 2 on the outside. But we should start to see effective depth in Wylie, Mills, Rojas, Robinson, and Keys. At least a couple of those guys will probably see a decent number of reps. I thought Sutherland was still a bit of a liability although experienced. But now that depth will get a youth movement and talent upgrade.

The secondary should still be just as strong despite losing Porter as King actually outgraded him and Dixon and Hardy are back to lock it down. I'm just not as confident in the depth. Duck should be there but maybe Miller is ready or inbounds Tracy and Payne? Someone is going to get those 2nd string reps. Agree with you on Ellis looking good near the end of the season and Brown while very good can be replaced with a ball hawking Wheatley. Again proven depth will be short. Is Reed ready to go? What about inbounds like Washington, Mack, or Nelson?
At DE Tarburton did a nice job the last 2 seasons, but I agree that the 3 main DE's for 2023 (Isaac, Chop & DDS) are all significantly more athletic and will put up even better pressure on opposing QB's. We have to remember that DDS only showed up at PSU mid-summer and still looked great for a true freshman. At that he was listed as the tallest the biggest of the 3 and an off season in the PSU S&C should make him significantly stronger against the run. Robinson was the lightest at under 240 and only made the transition to DE from LB when he showed up at PSU last May, so he'll also be bigger and faster after a winter in the S&C. I also like the rest of the DE group. Vanover consistently showed up around the ball in limited reps in 2022 and he's a big strong young man, we know Vilbert is a big athletic player that can get to the QBand Fisher looked the part after finally getting healthy at season's end. Can't remember a deeper group at PSU if they all stay and stay healthy. Biggest problem will be spreading around the playing time as the better they play the less snaps there will be to go around.

Carter and Jacobs are now proven high level players and I also hope King can continue to improve and take over in the middle. And Carter will have his first winter S&C which should make him even more of a missile. Should be fun to watch the depth develop in the Spring, Fall camp and early in the 2023 season. Mills should back up Jacobs. Wylie reportedly is much bigger than when he arrived at PSU and the 2023 class LB's all have the athleticism to play in 2023 although I'd guess that Keys redshirts unless he can show up in the Summer 20 lbs bigger than his reported 195 H.S. playing wt. Robinson is physically ready and he might push Elsdon to the bench as the 2023 season goes along, but even if he doesn't what a luxury it will be to have the 2023 freshmen LB's practicing and developing in case they are called upon. Obviously Buddin saw the same scenario playing out.

Should also be interesting to see how motivated the staff is to get young CB's playing time in 2023. King, Dixon, Duck and Hardy could all be gone after 2023 so it will be a high priority to develop the young CB's, Miller, Washington, Tracy and Payne if he sticks at CB (reportedly may not be fast enough and could be at Safety). I'm looking for Smith to start Mack at CB as well as he reportedly is super fast. Most of the young guys will have to progress quickly to have a good CB group for 2024, but I'm guessing Franklin will bring in a transfer CB next winter as well.

Reed was hurt but I didn't see anything about it being anything major. Ellis, Reed, Wheatley and Winston should be as good a group of Safety's as we've seen at PSU. Looking forward to seeing a bigger, more ready to play in the B10 Flowers this Spring, or he will get passed up by the incoming Nelson.

Lots to look forward to on defense for PSU this off season and going into 2023.

Last edited:
Yes, there seems to be a myth of wardaddy DTs coming straight out of HS. That seems pretty rare. I think the more probable path is good size and great movement then a whole lot of training table and strength and conditioning. My guess is those wardaddies are made as much as they are recruited.
Yep, gotta have faith that Scott and the S&C can develop high level DT's from incoming players like Artis and Blanding. Just seem to need more than 1, maybe 3, in the 2024 class.

Tarburton did a nice job the last 2 seasons, but I agee that the 3 main DE's for 2023 (Isaac, Chop & DDS) are all significantly more athletic and will put up even better pressure on opposing QB's. We have to remember that DDS only showed up at PSU mid-summer and still looked great for a true freshman. At that he was listed as the tallest the biggest of the 3 and an off season in the PSU S&C should make him significantly stronger against the run. Robinson was the lightest at under 240 and only made the transition to DE from LB when he showed up at PSU last May, so he'll also be bigger and faster after a winter in the S&C. I also like the rest of the DE group. Vanover consistently showed up around the ball in limited reps in 2022 and he's a big strong young man, we know Vilbert is a big athletic player that can get to the QBand Fisher looked the part after finally getting healthy at season's end. Can't remember a deeper group at PSU if they all stay and stay healthy. Biggest problem will be spreading around the playing time as the better they play the less snaps there will be to go around.

Carter and Jacobs are now proven high level players and I also hope King can continue to improve and take over in the middle. And Carter will have his first winter S&C which should make him even more of a missile. Should be fun to watch the depth develop in the Spring, Fall camp and early in the 2023 season. Mills should back up Jacobs. Wylie reportedly is much bigger than when he arrived at PSU and the 2023 class LB's all have the athleticism to play in 2023 although I'd guess that Keys redshirts unless he can show up in the Summer 20 lbs bigger than his reported 195 H.S. playing wt. Robinson is physically ready and he might push Elsdon to the bench as the 2023 season goes along, but even if he doesn't what a luxury it will be to have the 2023 freshmen LB's practicing and developing in case they are called upon. Obviously Buddin saw the same scenrio playing out.

Should also be interesting to see how motivated the staff is to get young CB's playing time in 2023. King, Dixon, Duck and Hardy could all be gone after 2023 so it will be a high priority to develop the young CB's, Miller, Washington, Tracy and Payne if he sticks at CB (reportedly may not be fast enough and could be at Safety). I'm looking for Smith to start Mack at CB as well as he reportedly is super fast. Most of the young guys will have to progress quickly to have a good CB group for 2024, but I'm guessing Franklin will bring in a transfer CB next winter as well.

Reed was hurt but I didn't see anything about it being anything major. Ellis, Reed, Wheatley and Winston should be as good a group of Safety's as we've seen at PSU. Looking forward to seeing a bigger, more ready to play in the B10 Flowers this Spring, or he will get passed up by the incoming Nelson.

Lots to look forward to on defense for PSU this off season and going into 2023.
Ok, now do the offense.

Clifford departs on a high note but he has had ups and downs. In limited action, you can see Allar's talent but how consistent will he be? Is Pribula ready to go if needed? Smolik looks talented but hoping he has a couple of years to learn before being thrown to the wolves.

This might be the best returning OL in a very long time. With Olu coming back, Shelton coming on as a true freshman and Wallace returning, OT could be very strong. OG with Tengwell, Wormely, Loane, and Nelson seems very strong as well. I think Nourzad backed up by Chocolate Thunder 2 can be as good or better than what Juice produced last year. All in all, as strong of a starting unit as I can recall for some time and some very viable backups. Can we stay healthy this year though?

There will not be a stronger 1-2 punch at RB in the nation with Singleton and Kaytron. Depth is a concern. Is Cam Wallace ready? Will Montgomery be fully recovered and ready?

TE without Strange is still in great hands with Theo and Warren and Dinkins, Cross, and the inbounds as depth.

WR is a wait and see for me. KLS starting showing something late in the season more than he had the previous 2 years. Wallace looks like he can do some nice things. Cephas may be Tinsley 2.0 or better. McClain could contribute or even blossom in happy valley. Evans, Clifford, and Saunders all look to potentially take a step forward. Not sure about Meiga having not put it together yet with incredible measureables. Then there is always the possibility of Ivey, Driver, or inbound Taylor being a surprise though I'm not counting on that.

That's two weekends of recruit visitors without a DT prospect. Maybe they'll all be there for Bue White weekend. We probably need 2-3 in the 2024 class.
I checked a number of articles on portal 'winners/losers', many of them had one or more DTs-where is Penn State with some of these players-have they had contact in the initial recruiting process?...I think the strategy should be to spread the high recruiting net wider, 'prime the pump' for commits and portal transfers. Without more beef in the middle, better MLB play may not be enough to reach the next level...As an aside, it seems the OL and OL coaching may have turned the corner-I'm still holding my breath.

Ok, now do the offense.

Clifford departs on a high note but he has had ups and downs. In limited action, you can see Allar's talent but how consistent will he be? Is Pribula ready to go if needed? Smolik looks talented but hoping he has a couple of years to learn before being thrown to the wolves.

This might be the best returning OL in a very long time. With Olu coming back, Shelton coming on as a true freshman and Wallace returning, OT could be very strong. OG with Tengwell, Wormely, Loane, and Nelson seems very strong as well. I think Nourzad backed up by Chocolate Thunder 2 can be as good or better than what Juice produced last year. All in all, as strong of a starting unit as I can recall for some time and some very viable backups. Can we stay healthy this year though?

There will not be a stronger 1-2 punch at RB in the nation with Singleton and Kaytron. Depth is a concern. Is Cam Wallace ready? Will Montgomery be fully recovered and ready?

TE without Strange is still in great hands with Theo and Warren and Dinkins, Cross, and the inbounds as depth.

WR is a wait and see for me. KLS starting showing something late in the season more than he had the previous 2 years. Wallace looks like he can do some nice things. Cephas may be Tinsley 2.0 or better. McClain could contribute or even blossom in happy valley. Evans, Clifford, and Saunders all look to potentially take a step forward. Not sure about Meiga having not put it together yet with incredible measureables. Then there is always the possibility of Ivey, Driver, or inbound Taylor being a surprise though I'm not counting on that.
OK

At QB even though Allar has all the tools I believe we have to expect some growing pains. By that I mean that he will make some poor decisions as he learns to read coverages and sometimes gets fooled by some pre-snap movements. Also in the leadership aspect as Clifford has had command of the huddle for years and when they did closeups of Allar in the huddle he didn't have a very confident look in his eyes, looking for the play from the sidelines. So he'll learn command of audibles as he goes along. The biggest improvement from Clifford moving forward for me is hopefully both Allar and Pribula giving the WR's more chances to make plays on the deep passes. Clifford over threw, it seemed, 75% of the deep balls making them uncatchable by anyone and failing to give his WR's a chance to either make a play or get a PI call. Pribula needs to get a ton of reps this Spring as he really does need to be ready to play, for an Allar injury or even if Allar just goes cold (although Franklin has a tendency do just go with the starter until he can't walk....).

I'm also pretty optimistic about the OL, although I was hoping Wallace would move inside but it seems that even with Shelton possibly ready to start the thin numbers at OT (and who knows what Wallace and Trautwein think) seem to be keeping that from happening. Lots of experience returning inside so not much need to move Wallace from that perspective either. Maybe Wallace and Shelton alternate like Wallace and Effner did.

Some here weren't too happy with Nourzad's performance at Guard and have written on their reservations of him taking over at Center. Dawkins has been in the program and at Center long enough that he should really be ready to start. But either way I don't believe either will be as good as Scruggs. Just hope the new Center won't be a glaring weak link for the OL, and maybe Trautwein puts a player like Birchmeier there for development and in case he's needed sooner rather than later (yep, I know much has been written about both super OL freshmen starting at OT). Lots of options for putting high performing players at Guard with Tengwall, Wormley, Nelson, Loane and Achumba. A wild card could be Traore (at G or OT) who I seem to remember got positive review at times but hasn't seemed to be healthy enough to get on the field much so far. But like Achumba and Christ, they must have shown something and have gotten confirmation from the coaches that they have the talent to play for PSU or they likely would have gone to the portal by now.

Not much to say about the RB's. If they stay healthy they are show stoppers. I'm hoping Seider and Franklin get them out of the games that PSU gets ahead and plays the true freshmen, Tank, or a late portal pickup to keep Singleton and Allen healthy.

As you said if Johnson and Warren stay healthy they rival the RB's in level of play. Hope Johnson keeps getting stronger as a blocker, and Warren has already shown he can do just about everything well. Dinkins has shown to be an excellent receiver but it would be great to see noticeable additional muscle/girth added this off season to make him more of an impact/physical blocker. Cross is listed as a big kid but I've yet to actually get a good look at him. And reportedly Rappleyea won't take long to get ready to play as well.

You pretty well covered it at WR. Cephus being a likely reliable target, who would have assimilated nicely this Spring but should have time in the Summer and Fall camp to get on the same page with the QB's and offense given his level of experience. Lots of possible players that could surprise on the positive side, but I really like McClain to be the biggest positive surprise. Big WR that already showed soft hands and already showed high end YAC ability. On top of that he already has been in a big time S&C program and is now at PSU for winter S&C and Spring practices. Wallace had his moments but had too many drops so he needs to take another big step forward this off season. KLS, Cephus, McClain and Wallace for the top group. And there is every reason to expect one or two of Saunders, Evans and Clifford to show they are ready to be counted on. Clifford looked sure handed in limited 2022 opportunities. Any contribution from Driver, Ivey, Johnson or Meiga would be a big bonus but not out of the question. Taylor looks like a multi year project as he's reportedly a buck 60 soaking wet.

I love Singleton returning KO's but I'm hoping one of the freshman RB's or young WR's can take over to keep Singleton's work load down. Like Barkley against oh-high-ya, let Singleton return KO's in the playoff game. And although sure hands is the top priority for a punt returner in the current game when about every team has a punter that punts with hang time and returns are rare, would be great if whoever wins the job can show some flash and make a few plays without fumbles or bad decisions. We'll see who get the PR tryouts this Spring.

Turnover at long snapper, FG's and Punter is always a risk, but the staff has seemed to have brought in the kickers to end up with little or no drop-off. But we won't really know until they have to perform in September with a game on the line. And the staff has shown they know how to develop long snappers but always a possible issue when you lose the nation's #1 player at that position.

3 months to the B/W game...........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT