ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State lands eight commits in final Rivals250 rankings for 2023 class

These rankings from the different services are all over the place. That’s why they’re so subjective. Besides game films there are those other critical factors that predict success and placement. Did he attend our camps? Did he accept our call when we wanted to interview him? Does he have offers from select programs? Did he play high school football in the Southeast, Texas or California?

How many players from FL are in the top250 if the #63 player in the state is #149 overall? For comparison's sake, the #1 player in PA is #90 overall.
I know FL, TX, and CA are recruiting hotbeds but there is no way that there are 63 players from Florida in the top 150 in the nation but only 1 from PA. I'm sorry, but this is why Rivals ratings are an absolute joke and not worth anything.

In 2020 the high school populations of FL was 860,707 and of PA was 548,002. Based on these population numbers and the rankings in the top 150 players, there are 40 kids in Florida at this talent level for every 1 from PA if normalized by high school population. That just isn't remotely true. See below for reality. It shows that there is 3.23 players from FL for every 1 from PA in the NFL, not 40! So Rivals evaluations are simply a joke. They aren't based in reality.

I know FL, TX, and CA are recruiting hotbeds but there is no way that there are 63 players from Florida in the top 150 in the nation but only 1 from PA. I'm sorry, but this is why Rivals ratings are an absolute joke and not worth anything.

In 2020 the high school populations of FL was 860,707 and of PA was 548,002. Based on these population numbers and the rankings in the top 150 players, there are 40 kids in Florida at this talent level for every 1 from PA if normalized by high school population. That just isn't remotely true. See below for reality. It shows that there is 3.23 players from FL for every 1 from PA in the NFL, not 40! So Rivals evaluations are simply a joke. They aren't based in reality.
Just think how much more talented Barkley would have been had he been born in Florida. It boggles the mind.

How many players from FL are in the top250 if the #63 player in the state is #149 overall? For comparison's sake, the #1 player in PA is #90 overall.

Florida does have a ton of talent but they also recruit players from out of state like drew Shelton who then get listed as from Florida. Katron Allen was from Virginia. Will Norman was from NJ. Cain was from Texas. All from IMG but not from Florida.

Last edited:
Florida does have a ton of talent but they also recruit players from out of state like drew Shelton who then get listed as from Florida. Katron Allen was from Virginia. Will Norman was from NJ. Cain was from Texas. All from IMG but not from Florida.
Shelton went back home for senior year and would be counted as from PA but point taken. I suspect that is a contributing reason that there are 3 nfl players from Florida for every 1 from PA when high school population implies it should be closer to 1.5.

Not disputing your numbers, but somehow there is still a direct correlation between average star rating and on-field success.

Not disputing your numbers, but somehow there is still a direct correlation between average star rating and on-field success.
I don't disagree. I just find Rivals ratings to be absolute crap. There are other services that do a much, much better job. I do like everything else about this board though. I just can acknowledge how poor their national rating service is.

Reactions: bison13 and royboy

That's a cool list. I've always felt that NJ gets slept on nationwide with the athletic talent that it produces compared to it's size. I know that in XC/T&F, NJ is pound for pound a producer of top D1 talent on par with many of the states that people would think produces the best running talent.

That's a cool list. I've always felt that NJ gets slept on nationwide with the athletic talent that it produces compared to it's size. I know that in XC/T&F, NJ is pound for pound a producer of top D1 talent on par with many of the states that people would think produces the best running talent.
Some great, great female runners from NJ:

Sydney McLaughlin
Ajee Wilson
Athing Mu

Reactions: PSURAHJ
I don't disagree. I just find Rivals ratings to be absolute crap. There are other services that do a much, much better job. I do like everything else about this board though. I just can acknowledge how poor their national rating service is.
I think the major rating services vary on the evaluation of players. It goes both ways. Some players are higher rated on Rivals; some higher on 247.

The major difference I see is that Rivals issues less 5 stars than 247. I also think 247 grades a higher amount of players as 4stars. But overall, both services differ in who are 4stars and who are rated 3stars. It goes both ways.

I think the major rating services vary on the evaluation of players. It goes both ways. Some players are higher rated on Rivals; some higher on 247.

The major difference I see is that Rivals issues less 5 stars than 247. I also think 247 grades a higher amount of players as 4stars. But overall, both services differ in who are 4stars and who are rated 3stars. It goes both ways.
Rivals is much less accurate and has considerably more bias in their rankings. I posted some numbers above that prove that bias beyond a shadow of a doubt. The rest of what Rivals does is great but their evaluations are an absolute joke.

This is why I like the On3 rankings. They do a composite ranking that includes Rivals, 247, ESPN and On3. Much more accurate.

This is why I like the On3 rankings. They do a composite ranking that includes Rivals, 247, ESPN and On3. Much more accurate.
Agreed, but they would be even more accurate if they ditched the ESPN ratings. I honestly believe at ESPN some lazy intern just reads the other services, and passes the junk on to whomever.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT