ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State moves into top-10 of CFP Rankings

They deservedly destroyed LSU
Still only 3 Big Ten teams but 3 in the top 8 is great
Clemson gets way too much respect

We still play in the cotton bowl unless USC loses. We need to jump Tennessee, correct?

Just also beat UMich &/or tOSU in '23 (@ least 11-1) then I won't have to see all those anti HCJF posts/responses here.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

We still play in the cotton bowl unless USC loses. We need to jump Tennessee, correct?
Or perhaps if TCU loses, might put tOSU in the playoff and us in the Rose.

Plus the rumor that the Rose might prefer PSU and could take us and have tOSU go to the Orange. I’m skeptical though.

Reactions: Obliviax
I think a TCU or USC loss puts Penn State in the Rose Bowl,.don't see any way 11-1 Ohio State not greater than 11-1 TCU. If Cotton, will be okay with if it's 10-3 UCF. Orange would be great, my son and I have tickets because we will be in Miami all that week.

Plus the rumor that the Rose might prefer PSU and could take us and have tOSU go to the Orange. I’m skeptical though.
Rose not so much would prefer PSU, but might not want an OSU/Utah rematch from last year.

There will not be any CC upsets. No way the B1G will allow O$U to play in the Cotton Bowl. That’s the equivalent of the holidays meal kids table and reserved for PSU.

There will not be any CC upsets. No way the B1G will allow O$U to play in the Cotton Bowl. That’s the equivalent of the holidays meal kids table and reserved for PSU.
OSU either is going to the Rose Bowl or the playoffs.

How about a 35-14 ass whipping to a four loss team who lost to Marshall?
Come on. They lost to two ranked 8-4 teams and beat #13 9-3 FSU.

Who are you going to replace Clemson with at 9?

Washington should be ranked ahead of Clemson. Right now, even FSU is a better team than Clemson.
You want to rank 9-3 FSU, who lost at home to 10-2 Clemson, ahead of Clemson?

And didn’t Washington lose to 3-9 ASU?

How about a three loss team that doesn’t play in the worst conference in the country?

Reactions: bison13

K-State, Utah and Washington should be ahead of Clemson.
It's not surprising Clemson is ahead of them because of their "brand"

You want to rank 9-3 FSU, who lost at home to 10-2 Clemson, ahead of Clemson?

And didn’t Washington lose to 3-9 ASU?
I didn’t say that. What I said was that I believe that FSU is a better team now than Clemson. I would rank Washington over Clemson.

I had no idea folks hated Clemson so much.
It’s not hate; it’s a result of people actually watching how teams perform on the field and not on paper. If you’ve watched this Clemson team, you’d know that they never should’ve been rated as highly as they were. This is a team that struggled to beat Syracuse at home and beat Wake in OT in addition to losing their two games.

They’re just fortunate that they played FSU early rather than late because that would’ve been another loss on the resume. They still have a good chance of losing a third game this weekend.

Incorrect. As Herbstreit himself said just hours ago, "The Rose Bowl can, and quite possibly will, take Penn State even if Ohio State finishes 5th"
I wish that were the case, but I sincerely doubt that that will happen. OSU just has too much cache for the Rose Bowl to select PSU over it. I also think that OSU would take the Rose over the Orange because it’s in their DNA.

Reactions: psu00
I wish that were the case, but I sincerely doubt that that will happen. OSU just has too much cache for the Rose Bowl to select PSU over it. I also think that OSU would take the Rose over the Orange because it’s in their DNA.
The feeling is that Ohio State is not interested in a rematch with Utah and would prefer the Orange Bowl...this from Herbstreit himself.

No hate--Trotter might be one of the best 10 players in all of college football...maybe top 5
They just aren't very good this year. With Uiagalelei at QB I wouldn't take them to beat any team currently in the top 15 if they played tomorrow.
Their best win is #25 NCSU. While I talk about our lack of quality wins we at least have lost to 2 elite teams not #19 and #21--including #21 at home.

The feeling is that Ohio State is not interested in a rematch with Utah and would prefer the Orange Bowl...this from Herbstreit himself.
I forgot about the rematch factor, so that could affect things. Would the Rose Bowl have to select Utah, or could they select Washington?

I forgot about the rematch factor, so that could affect things. Would the Rose Bowl have to select Utah, or could they select Washington?
Utah wins and they go, Utah loses and UW goes but Utah loses and Ohio State is in the CFP...see how it works?

Rose not so much would prefer PSU, but might not want an OSU/Utah rematch from last year.

Might not be Utah if USC goes to the playoff. Washington is well positioned to jump Utah if they lose the CCG.

Utah wins and they go, Utah loses and UW goes but Utah loses and Ohio State is in the CFP...see how it works?
I know that if Utah wins, they’ll go to the Rose Bowl. I just was presuming that USC will beat Utah; I just find it hard to believe that Utah will beat USC twice in the same season, and they barely beat them at home. That’s why I wasn’t even considering that Utah will go to the Rose Bowl.

Really not digging the ESPN numbers matrix powered by dooshafishul intelligence telling me USC is 20% to go to the CFP and Ohio State is 71%. How the b l o o d y 'e l l do you bake into those #s Ohio State passing SC from 5 to 4 not playing a game and SC beating Utah.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Really not digging the ESPN numbers matrix powered by dooshafishul intelligence telling me USC is 20% to go to the CFP and Ohio State is 71%. How the b l o o d y 'e l l do you bake into those #s Ohio State passing SC from 5 to 4 not playing a game and SC beating Utah.
They're simply expecting TCU or, more likely, USC to lose

Reactions: NedFromYork
I don’t think a Utah/tOSU game could happen. Utah only goes to the Rose if they win vs USC, but if that happens then the Buckeyes are going to the CFP not the Rose. If USC wins, it’s probably Washington in the Rose.
Agreed--I don't understand how we're creating a scenario of Utah vs. Ohio State in the Rose. It's Ohio State-Washington OR Penn State-Utah

Hopefully Utah beats USC and then we'll now Friday night where we're going

What odds did it give TCU? OSU only needs TCU or USC to lose and TCU is probably in with a loss if USC loses to the team that already beat them.

Sadly, if PSU and Franklin don't wet the bed over the last 7 mins of the OSU game, PSU would be only team outside of 4 with 1 loss, which means they would be sitting where OSU is.

....Unless the media put Bama there which would have been a complete farce.

The more Dabo spun the 'little ole Clemson' yarn, in my opinion, the more the hate grew. Multimillion dollar facilities, multimillion dollar assistant coaches - the exact opposite of the crap he was selling. Clemson has moved right onto my list of teams that I can never see lose enough.
Alright, since I know some are wondering, others on the list are:
Notre Dame
Meatchicken
FSU
Nebraska
Iowa
Miami

Sadly, if PSU and Franklin don't wet the bed over the last 7 mins of the OSU game, PSU would be only team outside of 4 with 1 loss, which means they would be sitting where OSU is.

....Unless the media put Bama there which would have been a complete farce.
Another way to think about it though, is if the NCAA would have just gotten off their ass and did the work to expand the playoff, we are in. With a first round game at Beaver Stadium also.

My observation from the recent past is that rankings change quite a bit in the last week to 'justify' the match-ups that the bowls want (within the constraints of conference tie-ins and group-of-five obligations). Does anyone else remember things that way or is it my imagination. If I'm right, and if one of the big bowls wants PSU in particular, the Lions' ranking will magically change to reflect that.

ADVERTISEMENT