ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State opens as near 50-point favorite over Kent State

I can't even imagine 65-0 at half. Most games are 6 possessions per half. 6*7 =42. You probably get an extra possession because of all the 3 and outs but your defense still has to score twice.

UT recorded a safety 3 plays into a Kent St "drive," and then they successfully executed an onside kick up 30-0 in 1Q.

Other than that, it was all forced punts and offensive possessions that resulted in quick TDs. Not a single INT or fumble recovery, let alone one for a score.

Me either. Should be easy money considering how bad Kent is but we'll be playing backups early (hopefully) so who knows
For many reasons, there’s no way that PSU will beat Kent by a similar margin that Tennessee did, and probably won’t even cover the spread. And you just know that, if USC beats Michigan, which I suspect they will, they’ll jump PSU.

PSU probably isn’t the eighth best team in the country right now. However, that’s were they were ranked preseason and going into this weekend, yet they drop without playing, whereas OSU, which also didn’t play, stays the same. And I’m not saying that OSU should’ve dropped.

Reactions: b&w1987
For many reasons, there’s no way that PSU will beat Kent by a similar margin that Tennessee did, and probably won’t even cover the spread. And you just know that, if USC beats Michigan, which I suspect they will, they’ll jump PSU.

PSU probably isn’t the eighth best team in the country right now. However, that’s were they were ranked preseason and going into this weekend, yet they drop without playing, whereas OSU, which also didn’t play, stays the same. And I’m not saying that OSU should’ve dropped.
Tennessee didn't even play their starters a half. St Francis beat Kent State. I expect to win between 42-0 and 70-0. I just don't think Franklin will want to embarrass them while Tennessee was happy to do so.
I think we're comfortably 4-9--pick where in that group you'd like. For example, I think we're currently better than Mizzou and Ole Miss but it's all opinion.
We dropped because Oregon finally looked like Oregon if we're being honest.
Why would Ohio State have dropped? Who close to them did something impressive? Add to that our "big win" lost to Pitt. If you're not saying they should have dropped why are you referring to them? Very confused.

Just beat Illinois who suddenly looks respectable.

Reactions: LMTLION
Tennessee didn't even play their starters a half. St Francis beat Kent State. I expect to win between 42-0 and 70-0. I just don't think Franklin will want to embarrass them while Tennessee was happy to do so.
I think we're comfortably 4-9--pick where in that group you'd like. For example, I think we're currently better than Mizzou and Ole Miss but it's all opinion.
We dropped because Oregon finally looked like Oregon if we're being honest.
Why would Ohio State have dropped? Who close to them did something impressive? Add to that our "big win" lost to Pitt. If you're not saying they should have dropped why are you referring to them? Very confused.
My point was if the voters deemed you to be the eighth place team the week before and you did nothing to detract from that ranking, why would you then demote that team? OSU didn’t play and didn’t drop, which they shouldn’t have, but neither should PSU. I mean, based on level of competition, you could make an argument that Mizzou should be ranked ahead of OSU based on them beating a ranked team this week and OSU not playing and beating up on two MAC schools so far, but of course that never would happen.

Also, I believe that PSU dropped last season after the bye week after the Norrhwestern game and the following week after the UMass game before the OSU game.

Last edited:
My point was if the voters deemed you to be the eighth place team the week before and you did nothing to detract from that ranking, why would you then demote that team? OSU didn’t play and didn’t drop, which they shouldn’t have, but neither should PSU. I mean, based on level of competition, you could make an argument that Mizzou should be ranked ahead of OSU based on them beating a ranked team this week and OSU not playing and beating up on two MAC schools so far, but of course that never would happen.
That doesn't make sense--teams can impress and jump others that simply haven't done as much. It's not about us dropping--it's about other teams moving up based on results. And these rankings mean nothing--just something for people to talk about
Mizzou looked pedestrian against BC IMO
Remember OSU's schedule is as weak as it is because they were supposed to play Washington non-conference but Ohio State won easily.
Ohio State and Georgia are just different than everyone else--everyone knows they'll be in the playoff while everyone else is fighting for 10 spots. Texas jumped, IMO, because we know how even if they lose 1 QB they're not going to miss a beat. No one else can say that.

That doesn't make sense--teams can impress and jump others that simply haven't done as much. It's not about us dropping--it's about other teams moving up based on results. And these rankings mean nothing--just something for people to talk about
Mizzou looked pedestrian against BC IMO
Remember OSU's schedule is as weak as it is because they were supposed to play Washington non-conference but Ohio State won easily.
Ohio State and Georgia are just different than everyone else--everyone knows they'll be in the playoff while everyone else is fighting for 10 spots. Texas jumped, IMO, because we know how even if they lose 1 QB they're not going to miss a beat. No one else can say that.
I think that we all know that there are certain schools that could meander their way through several underwhelming performances and they would not be penalized for it even if there were several other schools that had put together more impressive resumes; there’s clearly a double standard.

Like I said, the voters had deemed PSU to be preseason #8 and that’s where they were as of yesterday. They also did nothing to detract from that ranking. I frankly don’t care what any team behind them did yesterday, as there was no reason for PSU to have been demoted. PSU will have several chances to prove that they should be demoted by playing actual games.

Also, I guantantee you next week that PSU will drop even after winning if USC wins, and that just wouldn’t happen to a lot of other schools. You know damn well that if USC wins, they won’t pass a school like OSU, even though USC will have beaten LSU and Michigan, and OSU would’ve beaten two MAC schools and Marshall.

Let’s face, PSU could win their next three games based on your logic because of the relative ease of schedule and continue to drop. When will that end?

I think that we all know that there are certain schools that could meander their way through several underwhelming performances and they would not be penalized for it even if there were several other schools that had put together more impressive resumes; there’s clearly a double standard.

Like I said, the voters had deemed PSU to be preseason #8 and that’s where they were as of yesterday. They also did nothing to detract from that ranking. I frankly don’t care what any team behind them did yesterday, as there was no reason for PSU to have been demoted. PSU will have several chances to prove that they should be demoted by playing actual games.

Also, I guantantee you next week that PSU will drop even after winning if USC wins, and that just wouldn’t happen to a lot of other schools. You know damn well that if USC wins, they won’t pass a school like OSU, even though USC will have beaten LSU and Michigan, and OSU would’ve beaten two MAC schools and Marshall.
We just beat BGSU by a score and WVU lost to Pitt--how would that not impact how others view us?
Next week we play Kent State who Tennessee just beat by 71 (I think) so that's the bar
If USC has wins over LSU and Michigan why would anyone be angry to see them rise in the rankings? Shouldn't they?
I'm not following this "you can't drop by not playing" logic

Reactions: JR4PSU

Also, I believe that PSU dropped last season after the bye week after the Norrhwestern game and the following week after the UMass game before the OSU game.
Are you really making this argument? If so, you have not watched decades of traditional poll tanking conduct.

Reactions: JR4PSU
I think this could be a way to make more money. Play two games in one day. One against Kent St using the backups, one against a good team playing the starters. Two games in one day. Two wins. Two paychecks. Why didn't anyone think of this before?

We just beat BGSU by a score and WVU lost to Pitt--how would that not impact how others view us?
Next week we play Kent State who Tennessee just beat by 71 (I think) so that's the bar
If USC has wins over LSU and Michigan why would anyone be angry to see them rise in the rankings? Shouldn't they?
I'm not following this "you can't drop by not playing" logic
If psu beats Kent by one pt , isn't that better than losing to northern illinois? #notre dame

Clearly not.

If it was that simple we would not need pollsters or playoff committees.

I doubt you even believe your post when it applies to psu wins since 2014.
What are you even tallking about?
You asked about NIU/ND vs Penn State/Kent State--the answer is just win the game--it won't matter at the end if you do so

Kent also lost to the St. Francis Red Flash. They play in the NEC, which is essentially the MAC of FCS. Duquesne and Robert Morris are also in the NEC.

I actually feel bad for Kent at this point. Lose to a bad FCS team, and then have to play Tennessee and PSU back to back. Brutal.

Reactions: bison13
Kent also lost to the St. Francis Red Flash. They play in the NEC, which is essentially the MAC of FCS. Duquesne and Robert Morris are also in the NEC.

I actually feel bad for Kent at this point. Lose to a bad FCS team, and then have to play Tennessee and PSU back to back. Brutal.
They did score 24 points against Pitt but Pitt, Tennessee and Penn State in the first four weeks of the season is a nightmare for a MAC team...especially a bad MAC team that went winless in the MAC last year

They did score 24 points against Pitt but Pitt, Tennessee and Penn State in the first four weeks of the season is a nightmare for a MAC team...especially a bad MAC team that went winless in the MAC last year
Kent State football alums include the likes of Lou Holtz, Nick Saban, Jack Lambert, James Harrison, Antonio Gates and Julian Edelman. How about a few NIL dollars guys?

Reactions: bison13 and LMTLION

Let’s face, PSU could win their next three games based on your logic because of the relative ease of schedule and continue to drop. When will that end?
There clearly is bias with these polls which has been the case since they started these polls way back when (1968, 1969, 1973, 1994 say Hi). Thankfully they finally figured out you need a playoff and not 4 teams but 12 and it will grow bigger as the years go by.

Georgia did drop but just one spot. You could argue they need to drop behind both OSU and Bama as well. But that is the rub, these top teams have so much equity that they won't drop much at all despite pedestrian performances.

It seems there are unsaid rules the way these polls work. Teams 1-3 spots behind look impressive no matter who they play then you can be jumped if you have a bye or are not impressive. Again, the top teams seem to be insulated from this jockeying a bit more. I think the voters think the top 4 are in a different league versus the others and won't move them below unless they lose or have a run of underwhelming performances and the latter may not even affect them. I think this is correct otherwise you could put Georgia at #7 or whatever and jump a Tennessee all the way to say #2 but that is unreasonable.

None of these polls matter now. It will take care of itself if we just win vs quality teams. And be glad we don't have Nebby nor Indiana this year especially on the road. Both teams are vastly improved and are off to great starts.

Except things did change - WVU lost to Pitt.

Reactions: bdroc

Except things did change - WVU lost to Pitt.
Okay. Don't complain when PSU keeps dropping while beating Kent, Illinois and UCLA, because that's probably going to happen. And the farther you drop, the harder it is going to be to rise many spots, even if you beat a USC or OSU, because the teams in front of you are going to solidify their rankings as the season progresses as long as they keep winning, and won't even drop that much if they lose like the loser in the OSU-Oregon game. Because a team like Memphis is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, PSU almost certainly will need to be ranked at least around 8 to 10 at the end of the season to make the playoffs if they don't win the Big 10.

Last edited:
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Tennessee executed an onside kick up 30-0 in the first half. That was a pretty shitty thing to do.

I'll be we score in the high 30s to low 40s. Kent was thoroughly embarrassed and should come out on fire. (See the Dallas Cowboys) I hope our team learned a lesson against BG (which is a MUCH better team) and puts up 21 in the first quarter. If we do that, we'll see the second team in by the half.

Kent may be the worst MAC team in several years. They may not win a game this season.

Reactions: bdgan
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Tennessee executed an onside kick up 30-0 in the first half. That was a pretty shitty thing to do.

I'll be we score in the high 30s to low 40s. Kent was thoroughly embarrassed and should come out on fire. (See the Dallas Cowboys) I hope our team learned a lesson against BG (which is a MUCH better team) and puts up 21 in the first quarter. If we do that, we'll see the second team in by the half.

Kent may be the worst MAC team in several years. They may not win a game this season.
Pitt scored over 50 points against them, so I'd be very disappointed if PSU only scores in the 30s, regardless of whether the third or fourth string qbs play significant snaps or not. It's time that this team starts playing like a legitimate top 10 team in all facets. With that said, I hope that it's not like the Tennessee game in terms of score because that's not good for the game of college football at any level.

Okay. Don't complain when PSU keeps dropping while beating Kent, Illinois and UCLA, because that's probably going to happen. And the farther you drop, the harder it is going to be to rise many spots, even if you beat a USC or OSU, because the teams in front of you are going to solidify their rankings as the season progresses as long as they keep winning, and won't even drop that much if they lose like the loser in the OSU-Oregon game. Because a team like Memphis is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, PSU almost certainly will need to be ranked at least around 8 to 10 at the end of the season to make the playoffs if they don't win the Big 10.
Why would we complain? We know our schedule is weak

Why do we care about the polls at week 3? They don’t even determine who makes the playoffs?
We don't, really, but what else do we have to go by? It is just conversation and the real important polls don't start until after week 7 IIRC. Given that, we've had several highly ranked teams tank. FSU, FL, and ND come to mind.

The Nebraska Illinois game this week will be a good test to see who is legit. Both are now ranked in the top 20 and PSU plays ILL the week after.

We don't, really, but what else do we have to go by? It is just conversation and the real important polls don't start until after week 7 IIRC. Given that, we've had several highly ranked teams tank. FSU, FL, and ND come to mind.

The Nebraska Illinois game this week will be a good test to see who is legit. Both are now ranked in the top 20 and PSU plays ILL the week after.
And we need Illinois to win that game since we don't play Nebraska

OSU didn't play a close game vs the likes of Bowling Green.

That scenario of dropping and dropping then never getting back to where you started even after big wins is unrealistic. That never happens. If we go undefeated up until USC and they are undefeated then we have to be in the 10 or 11 range. This assumes we look solid, not great but not limping through and squeaking by either. Immediately behind us are Utah, K State, Okie State and Okie at #15, then three teams with a loss. Okie State, K State and Utah all play one another in the next two weeks. Okie has Tennessee this weekend then Texas on 10/12. If we look pedestrian up to USC and USC looks good vs Michigan then they will pass us as they should. After that Okie could pass us and maybe a Utah and Okie State. So there is a possibility we could be like 13 going into USC. But a win vs USC on the road will catapult us back into the top 10.

If all that happens leading up to USC and we indeed have slipped to #13 by looking unimpressive then the issue is not that we are #13 but something has gone off the rails with the season. And it would be doubtful we could then get a W at the Coliseum if we have looked unimpressive in four straight games.

But those two games will pay for their entire sports program for the next two years. I don't feel THAT bad for them. They know what they're doing when they schedule games like this.

Reactions: bison13

Use your own knowledge and brains. Screw the polls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT