ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Opponent Preview: USC Trojans

Reactions: shifix
USC has a lot of talent. Probably more than PSU but they're young or at least new to USC. PSU has all of their stars back from the 6th ranked 2022 recruiting class (Allar, Carter, Singleton, Allen, Sutton, Shelton). This is the year to beat USC.
More talent on defense?
Please!

Riley reporting the team put on 1,400 lbs in the off season. I'd be interested to know how this stat plays out across college football. I'm sure every team is putting on weight in the off-season but I'm not sure how much.

This number probably peaks at the start of fall camp and drops off from there.

• Wow
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Riley reporting the team put on 1,400 lbs in the off season. I'd be interested to know how this stat plays out across college football. I'm sure every team is putting on weight in the off-season but I'm not sure how much.

Over 10 lbs per player average. And when you have some guys cutting weight, it is a really big number for the rest.
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

That's roughly 17 lbs per kid using the 85 scholarships as the dividing number. Honestly, it seems excessive; their defense was undersized, but that is a 2-3 year fix without using the portal exclusively. Nonetheless, at least it's been identified and they are working on it.

I'm curious to see how much of that was coaching and how much was talent. They now have a good DC. So it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

I think Riley's offense is a major contributing factor. He's never had a strong defense as a HC. And Oklahoma always had talent.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
That's roughly 17 lbs per kid using the 85 scholarships as the dividing number. Honestly, it seems excessive; their defense was undersized, but that is a 2-3 year fix without using the portal exclusively. Nonetheless, at least it's been identified and they are working on it.

I think Riley's offense is a major contributing factor. He's never had a strong defense as a HC. And Oklahoma always had talent.
I assumed he was counting non-scholarship kids as well. Either way it is a big number and may provide benefits for some and detract in other areas. We'll see soon enough. They will be tested before we head out there.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT