ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Opponent Preview: West Virginia

I still think this is a dangerous game, especially in that environment in the 1st half. As long as we play level-headed, our talent will be too much for wvu and we pull away in the 2nd half for a 10-14 point win. It is a great early away game test for Allar to get ready for Wiscy and USC on the road later in the season.

I still think this is a dangerous game, especially in that environment in the 1st half. As long as we play level-headed, our talent will be too much for wvu and we pull away in the 2nd half for a 10-14 point win. It is a great early away game test for Allar to get ready for Wiscy and USC on the road later in the season.
Agreed but I didn’t realize how much they lost on defense. Hopefully our passing game steps up. Having said that Allar had well over 300 passing yards last year

Agreed but I didn’t realize how much they lost on defense. Hopefully our passing game steps up. Having said that Allar had well over 300 passing yards last year
It's funny. Everyone is always very aware of what our team loses through the draft, graduation, portal, injury, etc. But we often don't realize what opponents have lost. "losing 15 of its top 20 players by snap count from a year ago" really jumps out to me. We put up 38 on them last year and now they've lost 15 of their top 20 players by snap count on D? Our offense better light them up.

Now they return a lot on offense and that should be a good test for the D but we should be able to score on them.

It's funny. Everyone is always very aware of what our team loses through the draft, graduation, portal, injury, etc. But we often don't realize what opponents have lost. "losing 15 of its top 20 players by snap count from a year ago" really jumps out to me. We put up 38 on them last year and now they've lost 15 of their top 20 players by snap count on D? Our offense better light them up.

Now they return a lot on offense and that should be a good test for the D but we should be able to score on them.
Agreed and it doesn't sound like they have any idea who will be playing in the secondary. They are counting on xfer kids who often don't work out.

Absolutely. Last year it was a 1 score game at half and a 2 score game with just over 3 minutes remaining.

Greene is very elusive. He ran for 71 yards against PSU last year. IIRC a lot of those yards came when he was under pressure from our pass rush but was able to step up and out maneuver our LBs. Our LBs might not be as strong this year so that's a big concern.

Allar had a huge game last year. He was 21-29 for 325 yds and 3 TDs. That will be difficult to duplicate. Hopefully we can do better than 146 yds rushing against a mediocre WVa defense.

Reactions: mhlarch and LMTLION

Allar was 21-29 for 325 yds and 3 TDs. Things went downhill a bit after that. Do you think he'll do better this year?

Allar was 21-29 for 325 yds and 3 TDs. Things went downhill a bit after that. Do you think he'll do better this year?
If he duplicates that we win...and this will be a far weaker defense than last year. Especially true in WVa's secondary. I don't think WV puts up 38 on our defense. Green will be improved but they lost a lot of talent on the OL.

If he duplicates that we win...and this will be a far weaker defense than last year. Especially true in WVa's secondary. I don't think WV puts up 38 on our defense. Green will be improved but they lost a lot of talent on the OL.
Yep. It's not a gimme. If they don't show up ready for a fight, it could get dicey. But I think they do and expose a defense that lost a ton and lean on our defense which returns enough. I'd be more concerned if they were a pass happy team with a lot of starters returning on D. It is away and game 1, so we will make mistakes. But I think we have too much to not leave with a 2 score win.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yep. It's not a gimme. If they don't show up ready for a fight, it could get dicey. But I think they do and expose a defense that lost a ton and lean on our defense which returns enough. I'd be more concerned if they were a pass happy team with a lot of starters returning on D. It is away and game 1, so we will make mistakes. But I think we have too much to not leave with a 2 score win.
It will be interesting to see how PSU plays it. Obviously, our challenge on offense is the WR passing game. That will probably be WVs weakness. Do we come out, confident in the passing game, and attack them through the air? That would be higher risk but could yield great confidence as we get into the two games against MAC opponents before starting the B1G season. Or, do we take a more conservative route and run, run, run. By halftime, you do what is working but it will be interesting to see how PSU scripts the first two possessions.

It will be interesting to see how PSU plays it. Obviously, our challenge on offense is the WR passing game. That will probably be WVs weakness. Do we come out, confident in the passing game, and attack them through the air? That would be higher risk but could yield great confidence as we get into the two games against MAC opponents before starting the B1G season. Or, do we take a more conservative route and run, run, run. By halftime, you do what is working but it will be interesting to see how PSU scripts the first two possessions.
I think we come out balanced on pass and run. Run game for us should be ahead of our pass game. But their secondary is likely to be ripe for the taking. So I think we stay balanced and take our shots downfield (unlike last year). They may start with some safe throws, but I think we'll open it up. There should be opportunities, and I doubt that they can piece together an entire new secondary and not have holes and miscommunication.

It's a good situation IMO. I like starting with a team with a pulse on the road that has weaknesses in areas we need to work on offensively. That's an opportunity for early success and building the confidence in our passing game. If it is tight into the 4th, maybe JF clams up more and goes heavy run. But I think we have an opportunity to get the pass game going.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here is a detailed breakdown position by position by the WVU beat writer. Good info on how they are plugging holes.

This is not a gimme and not the least of which because Brown is a good coach. They seem to have back filled the secondary with some portal transfers and a DB portal guy is around 200 in portal rank which is their highest ranked portal guy. That doesn't seem very good. LBs seem to be a strength for their D.

We win this game as long as we don't have turnovers or special team mishaps. Our D will be solid and I think shut them down pretty well. Need to stop the QB runs and not get burned on him scrambling out of the pocket. We need Allar to play well and it would be great to see a WR driven vertical passing game. If he doesn't play well, not good, but we can still easily win by conservatively pounding the run game, passes to the RBs and using the tight ends which should be a heavy mismatch in our favor.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
With two premier running backs in the arsenal and a backup QB who has shown good running abilities, my game plan would be to run the football more times than not to burn clock to limit WVA's offensive possessions. The passing game can be worked on and fine tuned vs Bowling Green in more friendly environs. Still don't know what to expect from this defense.

Reactions: NedFromYork
With two premier running backs in the arsenal and a backup QB who has shown good running abilities, my game plan would be to run the football more times than not to burn clock to limit WVA's offensive possessions. The passing game can be worked on and fine tuned vs Bowling Green in more friendly environs. Still don't know what to expect from this defense.
I’ll bet the backup QB doesn’t see more than four snaps unless we are up by three tds or an injury.

Not necessarily saying he'd be taking the snap but Kotelnicki is pretty innovative and I could see Pribula somewhere in the formation rather just sitting on the pine waiting for something bad to happen to Allar.
it will be interesting..and will be a "tell" into how confident the staff is with the O. Last year, we came out hard and fast. This year, being an away game, I think we'll be more conservative. We'll run the ball and try to get the new WR crew in synch with Allar on shorter, crisper routes. At halftime we shift to take advantage of what is working. The staff won't have a lot of film on WVu's secondary. If we are successful, we won't open the playbook with trickery as we'll want to hold that back.

If we beat WVU, we then have two tune up games with BGSU and Kent.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how CJF manages Andy K and the new DC. Andy K is used to being on a team that had to be aggressive. They were always looking up in key games. They had to take chances. PSU should have as much talent as any team we play outside of tOSU. So that will be new for AK.

it will be interesting..and will be a "tell" into how confident the staff is with the O. Last year, we came out hard and fast. This year, being an away game, I think we'll be more conservative. We'll run the ball and try to get the new WR crew in synch with Allar on shorter, crisper routes. At halftime we shift to take advantage of what is working. The staff won't have a lot of film on WVu's secondary. If we are successful, we won't open the playbook with trickery as we'll want to hold that back.

If we beat WVU, we then have two tune up games with BGSU and Kent.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how CJF manages Andy K and the new DC. Andy K is used to being on a team that had to be aggressive. They were always looking up in key games. They had to take chances. PSU should have as much talent as any team we play outside of tOSU. So that will be new for AK.
The best way for CJF to manage AK is to leave him alone. :)

Good behind-the-scenes look at WVU’s program. Starts by talking mostly about strength and conditioning but goes far beyond it.

And they believe they are making great strides.

WVU is coming in confident. Crowd will be crazy. If they have a good first half it will be a dogfight. Best to jump on them early.

Some good cuts on Pitt on here,

Agreed and it doesn't sound like they have any idea who will be playing in the secondary. They are counting on xfer kids who often don't work out.
Think this will be a great “ mental” test for the team.. on paper we should win however.. how much does the crowd .. who will be going bonkers.. effect the team will be key… agree with another poster.. this is a great test to prepare for Wiscy and USC away games.. WVU will be.. one of if not THE loudest,craziest environment the team plays in ie an away game this year… regular season.,

It all depends on how well we can defend him. I don't care how good the QB is if the running game doesn't work and the WRs are covered. PSU had better LB play last year but we will be almost as good as our defense was last year, overall. I think WVU lost a lot of talent on defense. I am very comfortable with our cover team and feel like we can stop the run. Green will have to go all Mahomes for them to be effective against our D. The big question for WVU, is if their D can stop our O.

It all depends on how well we can defend him. I don't care how good the QB is if the running game doesn't work and the WRs are covered. PSU had better LB play last year but we will be almost as good as our defense was last year, overall. I think WVU lost a lot of talent on defense. I am very comfortable with our cover team and feel like we can stop the run. Green will have to go all Mahomes for them to be effective against our D. The big question for WVU, is if their D can stop our O.

Mountaineer Paul is a touch overly optimistic, but it's good to hear this viewpoint.

He sounds like he sees them going 12-0 or 11-1.

Mountaineer Paul is a touch overly optimistic, but it's good to hear this viewpoint.

He sounds like he sees them going 12-0 or 11-1.
Garret Greene is obviously the biggest concern. He's supposed to be better this year and he presumably has better WRs. He ran for 772 yds last year, 6.4 ypc. To put that in perspective Nick Singleton ran for 752 yds, 4.4 ypc.

Diaz was a big time blitz guy. I don't know about Allen. My worry is that Carter & Sutton rush Green hard instead of contain and we also bring a LB or safety. Greene sidesteps the rush and our LBs are out of position.

PSU has a lot more athletes but struggling to contain Green + a key turnover or two could make this a tough game.

Garret Greene is obviously the biggest concern. He's supposed to be better this year and he presumably has better WRs. He ran for 772 yds last year, 6.4 ypc. To put that in perspective Nick Singleton ran for 752 yds, 4.4 ypc.

Diaz was a big time blitz guy. I don't know about Allen. My worry is that Carter & Sutton rush Green hard instead of contain and we also bring a LB or safety. Greene sidesteps the rush and our LBs are out of position.

PSU has a lot more athletes but struggling to contain Green + a key turnover or two could make this a tough game.
Wow, didn’t realize that Greene out rushed Singleton.

Wow, didn’t realize that Greene out rushed Singleton.
Some of that is Big12 defense vs Big10 defense. Look at the defensive rankings from last year.

Unless I missed something, KState was the top defense in that conference. (had to remove the images for the teams outside of the top 20 to get this to post). So the Big10 had the top 4 defenses, 6 of the top 20 in the country and 7 defenses that were ranked higher than the #1 defense in the Big 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister

Mobile QBs are always dangerous and if he can throw better than 60%, that's even tougher to defend. Did you listen to MPaul compare Greene to Milroe? Based off rushing stats and TD passes. That's like those here who pump up Allar for 25/2 TD/Ints without the context of "but he was sub 50% vs OSU and Michigan and largely ineffective".

I'm largely curious how much the blitzing changes. I don't have the info in front of me, but Allen seemed to blitz his LBs more than his secondary. Based on all of the commentary, we're not going to see a drastic change defensively beyond Allen's own packages and tweaks.

I'm sure WVU will be improved from last year, but they aren't getting any respect save for a few people who like Greene. They are picked 7th in a Big 12 that DOES NOT HAVE OU & TEXAS. Let that sink in. The perennial 2 most favored teams leave and they are only picked to finish 7th.

Mobile QBs are always dangerous and if he can throw better than 60%, that's even tougher to defend. Did you listen to MPaul compare Greene to Milroe? Based off rushing stats and TD passes. That's like those here who pump up Allar for 25/2 TD/Ints without the context of "but he was sub 50% vs OSU and Michigan and largely ineffective".

I'm largely curious how much the blitzing changes. I don't have the info in front of me, but Allen seemed to blitz his LBs more than his secondary. Based on all of the commentary, we're not going to see a drastic change defensively beyond Allen's own packages and tweaks.

I'm sure WVU will be improved from last year, but they aren't getting any respect save for a few people who like Greene. They are picked 7th in a Big 12 that DOES NOT HAVE OU & TEXAS. Let that sink in. The perennial 2 most favored teams leave and they are only picked to finish 7th.
Last year they were picked 12th. So much for experts.

I don't know what other offensive weapons they really have besides Greene. I think decent RBs but any WRs that can challenge our back 4 or 5?

I think our defense is too talented for them to have much success against us. In the scenario you describe that certainly can happen but we will adjust if it starts occurring.

Remember Greene played in the B12 last year not B10.

At the risk of being captain obvious, I think the key to this game is Allar playing well. He doesn't have to be great but solid to very good. No turnovers, good decision making and converting on the vertical passing game. If he struggles and we have a lot of 3 and outs then that will give WVU momentum and confidence to their offense.

Last year our two premier RBs gained a total of 121 yds. This year PSU has to replace 3 OL.

WVa's front 7 is supposed to be strong but their secondary is questionable.

I think we're going to have to throw the ball more than you think.

Last year our two premier RBs gained a total of 121 yds.

On 23 rushes. 5.x+ ypc. They didn't have any big runs, but they weren't shut down. Allar threw for 300+. And we didn't even game plan the TEs (Theo 0 receptions, Warren 1).

If the RBs had rushed for 200+, we would have has 550+ yards. We torched their secondary. What else was we supposed to do?

• Haha
Reactions: CanGeeB
Last year our two premier RBs gained a total of 121 yds. This year PSU has to replace 3 OL.

WVa's front 7 is supposed to be strong but their secondary is questionable.

I think we're going to have to throw the ball more than you think.
I thought I read that WVU has only a handful of guys returning from their entire 2 deep on defense. I think it's going to be a high scoring game. WVU's offense can score but I don't think they'll keep up.

Breneman named WVU as one of five sleepers to watch and calls Green a Heisman candidate.

WVU Fan here, chiming in...

WVU fanbase is as excited for the 2024 edition of Mountaineer football as we've been since 2018 (Will Grier's last season at QB under Dana Holgorsen). There's a ton of talent returning on offense, and most importantly on the OL and our front 7 on defense is very good. The secondary is a big question mark, aside from preseason All Big 12 safety Aubrey Burks.

WVU was a work in progress when we arrived in Happy Valley last season. We knew who our QB, OL and starting RB were...but otherwise, we were very green. By the time the year ended, we had replaced all of our starting WRs, introduced Jahiem White (7.7 ypc, led P5) as our feature back to complement CJ Donaldson, and found a very dangerous TE weapon in 6'7" Kole Taylor (LSU transfer). Most importantly, WVU established an identity - a team focused on running the ball either at or around you, who would pepper your defense with deep shots down the field at least once a series.

Make no mistake about it, Penn State, man for man, is a better overall team with the sum of its parts. But WVU will be no slouch this year, and frankly the mood in Morgantown is a little bit testy because once again, our program, coaches & players, believe that the media is sleeping on WVU's potential to be a Big 12 championship calibre team. So, the program has this opener circled. This is one hell of an opportunity for Garrett Greene & Co. Our fans will be well energized and the house will be packed. For those of you coming, take a stroll through the Blue Lot and Light Blue lot prior to kickoff and you will be offered some fantastic home brew moonshine (with fruit) and pepperoni rolls - a WV staple.

Key guys on O = Garrett Greene, Jahiem White (RB), CJ Donaldson (RB), Traylon Ray (WR), Hudson Clement (WR), Kole Taylor (TE), Wyatt Milum (OT) and Tomas Rimac (OG).

Key guys on D = Aubrey Burks (SS), Trey Lathan (LB), Anthony Wilson (FS), Tywin Bradley (DE/Bandit), Edward Vestineren (DT), Jeremiah Trotter (MLB)

Not for nothing, WVU returns their PK and Aussie punter this year, both of whom were very reliable last season. However, WVU kickoff coverage was terrible at times, giving up two kickoff return touchdowns in one quarter at Baylor - single handedly keeping Baylor in game which should've been a 3 or 4 touchdown blowout.

typical first game concerns, yearly JF concerns, road game at night against hillbillies, what could go wrong, lol....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT