ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State QB Christian Veilleux enters transfer portal

This is really going to be a big issue moving forward. How do you keep a working QB room if the guy that isn't the starter leaves to try to be a starter somewhere else?

You have to recruit your team harder than the HS kids now.
Just not a PSU thing, this is a huge question with every CF roster. One key QB injury could throw everything out of whack in the future.

I think everyone expected this and wishes Christian well. He gave a glimpse of what he's capable of in the Rutgers game last year.

Very classy farewell on his part. I'm pretty sure he'll play somewhere next year and wouldn't be surprised at all if it's as a starter.

In related news that surprises nobody, Cade McNamara (Michigan) also announced for the portal today. There's a guy who led the Wolves to a playoff spot last year and then found himself relegated to the bench this whole season. Talk about a bitter pill to swallow. But hard to argue it wasn't the right call on Harbaugh's part after last Saturday.

Surprised he didn’t go last year. When Clifford played while handicapped last year…..that would have been it for me. Especially second half of Illinois game.

Wish him well as he looks like a good talent and seems a very decent person. Kentucky, anyone?

Just don’t stay in the B2G.
maybe he can go to Kentucky and be a first round pick?

Need a portal qb now and I don't give a crap about "nobody portals for depth".

Find someone.

Need a portal qb now and I don't give a crap about "nobody portals for depth".

Find someone.
Teams should portal for depth but didn't the kid leave for a chance to play so why would they want to go somewhere knowing they'll sit?

Too bad Franklin didn't play him more last year so that a better evaluation of Veilleux could have been made. I seem to recall a far less heralded QB beating out a couple of very highly ranked quarterbacks for the starting spot.

I think everyone expected this and wishes Christian well. He gave a glimpse of what he's capable of in the Rutgers game last year.

Very classy farewell on his part. I'm pretty sure he'll play somewhere next year and wouldn't be surprised at all if it's as a starter.

In related news that surprises nobody, Cade McNamara (Michigan) also announced for the portal today. There's a guy who led the Wolves to a playoff spot last year and then found himself relegated to the bench this whole season. Talk about a bitter pill to swallow. But hard to argue it wasn't the right call on Harbaugh's part after last Saturday.
Add an injury for Cade as well. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Too bad Franklin didn't play him more last year so that a better evaluation of Veilleux could have been made. I seem to recall a far less heralded QB beating out a couple of very highly ranked quarterbacks for the starting spot.
My guess is that Franklin and Yurcich evaluate all QBs on the roster every day at practice. Veillieux had a good game against Rutgers but that doesn’t really prove much. Best of luck to the kid.

My guess is that Franklin and Yurcich evaluate all QBs on the roster every day at practice. Veillieux had a good game against Rutgers but that doesn’t really prove much. Best of luck to the kid.
But some players are much better in actual game action than practice. Pretty common. It’s why you sometimes see some unknown kid explode in the middle of the season.

He played well when in. Clifford was pretty banged up in the second half of last year’s Illinois game. Unless Velliux was also hurt or ill, he should have went in.

Last edited:
Teams should portal for depth but didn't the kid leave for a chance to play so why would they want to go somewhere knowing they'll sit?
And even then there are no guarantees. Didn't Tommy Steven's have to beat out that big dude QB Shrader who then transferred to Cuse and had a good year?

Both Joe Milton from UM and Hooker from VT went to Knoxville w Milton playing only the last game due to injury...

And then Levis himself had to beat out Joey Gatewood from Auburn who had been highly recruited with some playing time w The Tigers.

Who knows where it ends? I wish Christian luck. He gave us his best- we should reciprocate.

And even then there are no guarantees. Didn't Tommy Steven's have to beat out that big dude QB Shrader who then transferred to Cuse and had a good year?

Both Joe Milton from UM and Hooker from VT went to Knoxville w Milton playing only the last game due to injury...

And then Levis himself had to beat out Joey Gatewood from Auburn who had been highly recruited with some playing time w The Tigers.

Who knows where it ends? I wish Christian luck. He gave us his best- we should reciprocate.
Kiffin brought in Dart and out went Rys Plumlee...both of whom had good years. Soon it'll be like Mike Henn on our hoops team...5 teams. At that point it is like rooting for laundry...

Right. Franklin should have done it your way and lost aAllar.

Well said--you never know how it will play out

I blame the portal more than the kids. If a year sit out was involved, things might have played out differently. You can't recruit 5*s and haze them freshman year anymore. If they can play, you gotta roll with them.

Well said--you never know how it will play out
It almost seems like unless you are Jalen Hurts or JT Daniels that portal qb coaches have to hedge their bets. Didn't LSU get guys from both ASU and Texas A&M?

The grass isn't always greener. I believe Doege from WVU transfered to one school, not get the start, then transfer to Troy like a week before the season. At that point the pendulum has swung too far towards "players" , which are not the same as "student athletes." Silly.

Milton actually won the job last year until he got hurt game one. Hooker never relinquished the job when Milton got healthy again.

I was very disappointed he didn't get more meaningful time this year, and as another poster pointed out, that he didn't get much time in last year's let-down bowl.

Based on limited observation, he seemed to have a lot of ability. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT