Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
WR coach from UVA -- Marques Hagans

HAGANS HIRED AS NEW WRs COACH

REACTION FROM RIVALS....

Social media reactions to the news....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: psuted
If we would have gotten a big name like an Engram, realistically how long would they would have stayed..... I like that Hagans has a solid resume, yet still young and hungry with plenty to prove. He also shows loyalty with his his 10+ years at UVA and not one to jump ship every few years. I'm a big fan of the hire.

If we would have gotten a big name like an Engram, realistically how long would they would have stayed..... I like that Hagans has a solid resume, yet still young and hungry with plenty to prove. He also shows loyalty with his his 10+ years at UVA and not one to jump ship every few years. I'm a big fan of the hire.
Interesting that he stayed there through three coaching changes. Were the new coaches promoted from within and kept much of the same staff? Or did an outside hire see him as an asset to keep?

And Poindexter was on the V staff with him so I am sure he (Poindexter) recommended him.

He should help in recruiting that area but we are already strong there. Hopefully, he can use his skills to expand the recruiting base.

Last edited:
REACTION FROM RIVALS....
Sounds good.

RIVALS MID-ATLANTIC RECRUITING ANALYST ADAM FRIEDMAN: "If you thought Penn State was already recruiting the state of Virginia add an elite level, just wait until Hagans gets on the case. The longtime receivers coach at the University of Virginia has deep ties to the movers and shakers throughout key areas like Virginia Beach and Richmond. Expect Penn State to not only land big time linemen and defenders like they have been but look for an uptick in offensive talent coming from the Virginia and landing in State College."

Interesting that he stayed there through three coaching changes. Were the new coaches promoted from within and kept much of the same staff? Or did an outside hire see him as an asset to keep?

And Poindexter was on the V staff with him so I am sure he (Poindexter) recommended him.

He should help in recruiting that area but we are already strong there. Hopefully, he can use his skills to expand the recruiting base.
I read the story first on CBS sports and there was a quote from the current UVA coach that said he was told that Hagans was the top coach he should retain.
Kinda like Duce Staley lasting through 3 HCs with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Last edited:
Seems like a great hire, both as the wr coach and a recruiter. It’s now obvious Franklin wants his coaches to be great recruiters as well and further expanding our footprint in the DMV is vital. I think this is the reason for the firing of TS.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Seems like a great hire, both as the wr coach and a recruiter. It’s now obvious Franklin wants his coaches to be great recruiters as well and further expanding our footprint in the DMV is vital. I think this is the reason for the firing of TS.

Franklin has always seemed to emphasize recruiting prowess for his coaches (remember the "how hot their wife is" joke?) so I think it is just par for the course. He probably expected the same from Stubblefield but felt he wasn't at the necessary level once he got to see him close up in action. Also with the portal, there are new elements in terms of recruiting.

Doesn't seem like a significant upgrade but maybe he is an unbelievable recruiter. We will see.

Hagans solidifies Virginia (before Pry and Elliott can get a foothold), helps with DMV and North Carolina (Mack Brown has done well there at UNC).

Going to agree with @Obliviax here though: something happened. You don't pull a 10 year UVA coach on a whim. Stubbs did (or didn't) do something.

This seems to be a little upgrade but here is the thing that has me scratching my head.......
With NIL I do believe that to land blue chip elite prospect Top 200 types, its gonna take NIL dollars before savvy tied-in recruiters. I feel like that quality is somewhat diminished with NIL dollars. Unless everyone is ponying up the exact same amount of money, how is it that a good recruiter is going to matter for say the #3 WR in the country. I just don't see it. What's gonna matter for that #3 WR is is that you are offering him 250k not 180k.

This seems to be a little upgrade but here is the thing that has me scratching my head.......
With NIL I do believe that to land blue chip elite prospect Top 200 types, its gonna take NIL dollars before savvy tied-in recruiters. I feel like that quality is somewhat diminished with NIL dollars. Unless everyone is ponying up the exact same amount of money, how is it that a good recruiter is going to matter for say the #3 WR in the country. I just don't see it. What's gonna matter for that #3 WR is is that you are offering him 250k not 180k.
Because a kid may accept a little lower payola for three years if he thinks the right school good get him a better NFL draft position through better coaching, a system that fits their skills, training/S&C, and more.

I honestly don't see PSU getting the top 5*. You might land one because of geography, family values, PSU solid reputation etc. But by and large the type of guys who signed with A&M last year aren't considering PSU. Personally, I'm more than okay with getting 4* guys with character and willingness to develop and earn their NIL.
My guess is that if you want the #1 recruiting class (until this gets fixed) you need to find another team to cheer for.

Hagans solidifies Virginia (before Pry and Elliott can get a foothold), helps with DMV and North Carolina (Mack Brown has done well there at UNC).

Going to agree with @Obliviax here though: something happened. You don't pull a 10 year UVA coach on a whim. Stubbs did (or didn't) do something.
Hagans has designs on being HC at UV. He got passed over......retained thru three HC. Evidence of his value. The final straw might have been the murders down there. It may have been something that demanded a change of scenery. I can see where it might wear you down. Don't forget 2 of the victims were WR. It's gotta break your heart.

Because a kid may accept a little lower payola for three years if he thinks the right school good get him a better NFL draft position through better coaching, a system that fits their skills, training/S&C, and more.
It begs the question, do you think it is more important to have a good recruiter or Oregon's NIL department stocked with Nike money and executives who are used to working with marketing money and athletes?

I think your scenario will happen, like Innis admitted that he chose OSU for Hartline over more money, but I have a feeling it will be an exception more than the norm, especially with how many top 200 types flame out and don't actually make it. The prudent move for a family that is in need of money is to take the money, although contrary to my very own philosophy. As with professional athletes contracts, its always about the guaranteed part.

It begs the question, do you think it is more important to have a good recruiter or Oregon's NIL department stocked with Nike money and executives who are used to working with marketing money and athletes?

I think your scenario will happen, like Innis admitted that he chose OSU for Hartline over more money, but I have a feeling it will be an exception more than the norm, especially with how many top 200 types flame out and don't actually make it. The prudent more for a family that is in need of money is to take the money, although contrary to my very own philosophy. As with professional athletes contracts, its always about the guaranteed part.
Every kid is different. And they have dozens of factors in picking a school.

I thought we were guaranteed it was certain coaches????
Good hire but not want many thought they knew without knowing.

I thought we were guaranteed it was certain coaches????
Good hire but not want many thought they knew without knowing.

The people who make the lists are usually just generating material. The true insiders hold their information until its ready most of the time. This move had legs prior to Stubbs let go. That is for sure.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Hagans has designs on being HC at UV. He got passed over......retained thru three HC. Evidence of his value. The final straw might have been the murders down there. It may have been something that demanded a change of scenery. I can see where it might wear you down. Don't forget 2 of the victims were WR. It's gotta break your heart.
Just saw a podcast that included a Virginia 247 observer Jacquie Franciulli. She tells a very sad story relating to Coach Hagan, his family and the loss of the murdered WRs at Virginia. One of the victims had become an "older brother" figure to the Hagan sons and often attended many of their games and was a regular in their home. Boy, that's tough on adults....imagine what it is for those little boys? Also, coach's wife is a Pa. gal. Franciulli is effusive in her praise of the new WR coach.

Just saw a podcast that included a Virginia 247 observer Jacquie Franciulli. She tells a very sad story relating to Coach Hagan, his family and the loss of the murdered WRs at Virginia. One of the victims had become an "older brother" figure to the Hagan sons and often attended many of their games and was a regular in their home. Boy, that's tough on adults....imagine what it is for those little boys? Also, coach's wife is a Pa. gal. Franciulli is effusive in her praise of the new WR coach.

I really enjoyed that episode and how Jacquie Franciulli gave really good insight on why he would leave a place he loved for 10+ years. The 2 things that really stood out for me on that episode was how much the Hagan Family was involved with not only the UVA community, but also the Charlottesville community. The second was that a big selling point for him was his close relationship with Coach Dex and how he even named his son after Coach Dex. She really hit home that Hagans strength is his "relationships" and how that will help with the players wanting to play hard for him him and on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
I like the hire.

It seems as if a lot people felt Hagans would eventually end up in either the Big 10 or SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT