ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State TE Brenton Strange declares for NFL Draft ; will play in Rose Bowl

Would have been hard to get to 85 including 8 TE's.

Still a loaded TE room for 2023, but Strange sure had a great 2022 season. Johnson and Warren make a great 1-2 punch at TE and Dinkins looked pretty good as a receiver when he got a chance this season. Hopefully Cross is ready to go as well.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Room is stocked we are just fine here...REALLY NEED 79 AND 72 TO COME BACK UP FRONT

What exactly is the story with us signing 3 TEs this class anyway?
Three very good prospects, with Barnwell (listed at 6'6", 250) potentially ending up on the DL or OL. His frame seems to say OT if he can add 40-50 lbs in the S&C over the next couple of years. Can't have enough athletic OT's as OT has been the hardest position for PSU (and most other teams) to recruit. The size and athleticism required to play OT at a high level are rare and if Barnwell has them he could be attracted to the $$ he could command long term in the NFL. But with Franklin stating the need, obvious to most PSU fans, to get bigger on the DL Barnwell may end up as a 275-280 lb DE - the kind PSU needs to stop UM and oh-high-ya's running games.

Rappleyea seems like the most ready to line up as a TE as he seems to have a more college ready body by all reports.

And Schlaffer is also a very good looking future PSU TE, but will need some time in the PSU S&C program.

Also keep in mind that Johnson and Warren were in the 2020 class and are now also eligible to move to the NFL. It would not surprise me to hear that Johnson is going to the NFL this year as well. And Warren also already looks the part of NFL TE. If Johnson does in deed announce for the NFL it would be great to have Warren back to lead what would be a younger group of PSU TE's than what PSU has fielded recently.

And Dinkins still looks like a big WR who may not be the multi-talented TE that works best to support the running game. Maybe this is the off season where Dinkins adds that last 10-15 lbs to make him the monster TE that will help him get significant playing time in 2023.

Haven't heard anything regarding how Cross has done at PSU in his redshirt year but at 6'5" 254 lbs on the PSU roster he seems to already have the size to line up as a B10 TE.

Staff just must have felt that they had a chance to bring in 2 good TE's with Barnwell also playing TE but being more of a player that might transition early in his PSU career to another position.

There were potentially 8 TE's for 2023 before Strange's declaring for the NFL, but may only be 5 or 6 by the time PSU plays the first game of 2023...... Should continue to be an interesting off season.

Last edited:
What exactly is the story with us signing 3 TEs this class anyway?

Schlaffer is a legacy (Menet's step brother) who we got in on early. He climbed the rankings pretty good after committing.

Rappleyea luckily fell back into our laps after the early Neo Avery commitment seemingly pushed him to Michigan. He's probably the most college ready player of the 3, but unless Theo declares (I don't foresee it, but I'm nobody to predict) he's not seeing the field unless he is *REALLY* good.

Barnwell is the kicker. I personally think he's a TE until they get him on campus. I don't proclaim to know what his best future position is, but it's probably between OT, DE, and DT. Based on class makeup, I'd prefer to stick him on defense and begin the bulk up. You can't have enough 5t DEs nor 3t DTs. Redshirt him. Let S&C do its thing and go from there.

I'm thinking they don't see him as an OT if they are still after the recent Old Dominion decom from Maryland with speculation being that Williams and Birch are starting out at tackle when they arrive.

No surprise. Fortunately we still have Johnson & Warren.

- Strange
+ Duck

Still at 89/85
Will be a lot more movement from seniors this week and then underclassmen next week. Imo we will be down to 80-82 by the end of next week.

Room is stocked we are just fine here...REALLY NEED 79 AND 72 TO COME BACK UP FRONT

You are always crying about who is giving the players advice on the draft. What advice would you give to Strange or Scruggs? Would you tell them to opt out or risk playing in a meaningless game?

You are always crying about who is giving the players advice on the draft. What advice would you give to Strange or Scruggs? Would you tell them to opt out or risk playing in a meaningless game?

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I would not consider a bowl game a "meaningless game" (any more than any college football game is), I would suggest they play and be a good teammate.

I'm actually proud to see a number of PSU players who have declared but are still playing in the the Rose Bowl.

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I would not consider a bowl game a "meaningless game" (any more than any college football game is), I would suggest they play and be a good teammate.

I'm actually proud to see a number of PSU players who have declared but are still playing in the the Rose Bowl.
It does not mean that much to people who count. The players who opt out don't care. The NFL teams drafting them don't care either. You only care because you are a fan and you are looking out for your rooting interest not what is best for the players.

For 1) Brenton Strange made a decision and 2) haven't seen him listed in any draft evals very high.

For the record, I do think he can be a good pro. The comment was more of a play on words.
Yeah I got the play on words part but he's been heavily speculated to leave. Where they're projected to go isn't really a consideration by most players now. Things have changed drastically in that regard.

Is he the best blocking TE ever at Penn State? I don't remember ever focusing on a TE because of his blocking like I did Brenton. Kyle Brady was awesome, but I think he was much bigger. What do you think?

You know best and others don't?

Give it a rest.
He's not wrong. The comments here are about Penn State not the kid. Strange is ready to move on--nothing else matters. It's not about him, you or me knowing what's best. It's about the kid doing what he believes is best given everything they know about their own lives that we don't know. Questioning any kid's decision to leave is asinine.

Reactions: bison13
Is he the best blocking TE ever at Penn State? I don't remember ever focusing on a TE because of his blocking like I did Brenton. Kyle Brady was awesome, but I think he was much bigger. What do you think?
Strange was a great blocking TE this season, which was a complete change from 2021 when he awful at it (kudos to Strange and the coaches for that transformation.) He has always been a good pass catching TE.

Reactions: bison13 and royboy
Strange was a great blocking TE this season, which was a complete change from 2021 when he awful at it (kudos to Strange and the coaches for that transformation.) He has always been a good pass catching TE.
Yeah, good job by Strange. I think 84 (Theo Johnson) can be a very good receiver in 2023 and block even better than Strange. Warren can contribute in many ways, and there are some good young TE prospects on the roster.

Bottom line for 2023 -- PSU can be even better at the TE position. Just my opinion.

Reactions: LMTLION
I think 84 (Theo Johnson) can be a very good receiver in 2023 and block even better than Strange.

Theo is actually listed as a better draft prospect than Strange and eligible to leave as well. This could be why we took 2-3 TEs and we just don't know it yet.

Reactions: bison13
On a given football play, there are 22 on the field and generally only 2 or maybe 3 players touch the ball.

But speed is an important part of the game, and the 40 yard dash provides a measurement for all players.
Most plays have at least 3 people touch the ball, but yeah

Who can remember the Lion TE, who was so fast that he ran back punts? I saw him pick up his date by her head with one hand at a party. She was a gymnast and loved it.
I don't remember, but sounds like something Bill O'Brien would do, considering he had a LB running back kicks lol, so I say Jesse James.

Correct. Ted lived with one of the assistant coaches after his freshman year. He got lots of help and guidance. In HS, he was a bouncer at his father's bar. They lived above it. He went on to be all pro and establish a very successful business. He was one of the corner stones of the grand experiment. He and Frank Spaziani were close friends, both A-list recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT