ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State to the Rose Bowl

Hope it’s better than your prediction of OSU in top 4 this week lol
I like to lighten things up, message boards have enough issues as it is...let's get fired up! Either the Rose or the Cotton. Win-win but my personal opinion is the Rose would be better.

Reactions: 1AA
I think OSU is sick of going to the Rose Bowl want to go to the Orange they usual get what they want, PSU could beat UW in the Rose.

I think OSU is sick of going to the Rose Bowl want to go to the Orange they usual get what they want, PSU could beat UW in the Rose.
I've also been reading that the Rose might pass on OSU because of their perceived "fans' lack of interest" if they're not in the Playoffs

Reactions: john4psu
I've also been reading that the Rose might pass on OSU because of their perceived "fans' lack of interest" if they're not in the Playoffs
Lived in Pasadena for the past 12 years and if wasn't for the Utah folks last year, it wouldn't have felt like a Rose Bowl was happening in town. We always feel a B10 presence in the build of the game and parade but last year was similar to 2013 Rose Bowl which was Wisconsin 3rd trip in a row (also being vs Stanford didnt help as well). I believe OSU returned tickets as well.

This would be OSU's 3rd trip in 5 years. They haven't been to the Orange Bowl since 2013. We could guarantee a sellout. All the factors make sense in terms of selecting PSU but these Rose Parade/Bowl committee folks are very averse to changing tradition even in the face of common sense and $ for local businesses.

If all the favorites win Friday/Saturday, I suspect ToR still opts for OSU. Hope I'm wrong, Would love to roll out of bed, begin tailgating in the driveway, and walk down the street to see the parade when it comes by.

Lived in Pasadena for the past 12 years and if wasn't for the Utah folks last year, it wouldn't have felt like a Rose Bowl was happening in town. We always feel a B10 presence in the build of the game and parade but last year was similar to 2013 Rose Bowl which was Wisconsin 3rd trip in a row (also being vs Stanford didnt help as well). I believe OSU returned tickets as well.

This would be OSU's 3rd trip in 5 years. They haven't been to the Orange Bowl since 2013. We could guarantee a sellout. All the factors make sense in terms of selecting PSU but these Rose Parade/Bowl committee folks are very averse to changing tradition even in the face of common sense and $ for local businesses.

If all the favorites win Friday/Saturday, I suspect ToR still opts for OSU. Hope I'm wrong, Would love to roll out of bed, begin tailgating in the driveway, and walk down the street to see the parade when it comes by.
Do you realize you just got several thousand ‘ new best friends’ should PSU get a Rose invite?

Even when it's not part of the playoffs, the Rose Bowl still is a special game and event and would be great exposure for this program; the setting is what sets it apart from any other bowl.

Reactions: john4psu

Since you live in Pasadena, doesn't OSU have an ungodly amount of fans in So. California. I've read in the past that is one of the main reasons that the Rose Bowl leans to OSU. But like mentioned, they (OSU fans) might lack the interest if they don't make the CFP. I think the Rose Bowl goes with PSU this year

From a predicted 8-win season to the Rose Bowl! Led by Coach James Franklin and quarterback Sean Clifford! Take that haters!!!!
It's gonna be interesting to see who the preseason B1G favorite will be going into the 2023 season

Article is suggesting that Rose is thinking this way to avoid a "rematch" of last year (duhO$U v Utah). Utah is currently ranked one place higher than U-Dub in the latest CFP Ranking, so would be replacement for USC if the Final CFP Ranking stayed as it currently is relative to Utah and WA. But I agree with you, it's hard for me to see a 4-loss Utah staying ahead of a 2-loss WA if the lose to USC in Pac12 CCG.... so not sure about the premise that it is like a rematch of last year's Rose Bowl between duhO$U and Utah.

I'm seeing multiple sources saying PSU is an option for the rose because Ohio St didn't really have much interest there last year either. Apparently they returned a bunch of tickets and the rose bowl was not pleased.

I'll wait and see what happens but it is plausible. Ohio St fans aren't as likely to travel to the rose and maybe the orange is a better fit for them. They could play a weaker Clemson team that still has the brand that they want to be matched against. Their fans could even pretend it's playoff match up despite both they and Clemson getting knocked down a peg.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
This might have been answered but have the bowls ever gone in different directions like this?

Do you realize you just got several thousand ‘ new best friends’ should PSU get a Rose invite?
329347-sports-n-c-a-a-bowl-games-rose-bowl.gif

GrossGoodBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

Ya but that's cool. The Pasadena resident sale for tickets is this Friday but debating on delaying purchasing until at least after Pac12 champ. game that night (and before anyone asks--I'm limited to 4).

I will happy host some folks to BBQ, watch some Jan 1 NFL football, even park for the parade though be warned, I live towards the end of the parade route.

Since you live in Pasadena, doesn't OSU have an ungodly amount of fans in So. California. I've read in the past that is one of the main reasons that the Rose Bowl leans to OSU. But like mentioned, they (OSU fans) might lack the interest if they don't make the CFP. I think the Rose Bowl goes with PSU this year
I dont know if I could quantify the alumni numbers here but their LA alumni group does have more game watch locations than PSULA does so take that for what its worth. Wisconsin is the school that seems to always have lots of alumni around here.

Ya but that's cool. The Pasadena resident sale for tickets is this Friday but debating on delaying purchasing until at least after Pac12 champ. game that night (and before anyone asks--I'm limited to 4).

I will happy host some folks to BBQ, watch some Jan 1 NFL football, even park for the parade though be warned, I live towards the end of the parade route.
hand-raised.gif

Wished the ToR met with PSU directly instead of the BigTen. Cant really trust the conference advocating for us.
man you are so paranoid. By the way, what Big Ten stadium are we opening our B1G schedule at next season?

Reactions: MacNit07
From the O-Zone, OSU writer Austin Ward says that OSU has told the Rose Bowl to take another team if OSU doesn't make the CFP. Definitely looks like PSU is on its way to Pasadena.

Reactions: Psugo823
From the O-Zone, OSU writer Austin Ward says that OSU has told the Rose Bowl to take another team if OSU doesn't make the CFP. Definitely looks like PSU is on its way to Pasadena.
??? Preemptive strike? Heard they weren’t getting invited so they are trying to make it look like they aren’t getting snubbed and they don’t want the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: Jerry
??? Preemptive strike? Heard they weren’t getting invited so they are trying to make it look like they aren’t getting snubbed and they don’t want the Rose Bowl.
What am I missing? I thought the Rose Bowl takes the next highest ranked B1G team if the champion is in the Playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT