ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State vs Auburn: Keys to victory

I think this one is pretty simple. We stop the run or we don't.

The usual suspects fall in line after that: turnovers, penalties, mental errors, etc. But those are really unpredictable.

In the end, we have to stop their running game. We haven't been tested this year by a good running team and new our biggest challenge was going to be linebacker and DL depth.

get-after-it-get-it.gif

The usual suspects fall in line after that: turnovers, penalties, mental errors, etc. But those are really unpredictable.

In the end, we have to stop their running game. We haven't been tested this year by a good running team and new our biggest challenge was going to be linebacker and DL depth.

get-after-it-get-it.gif

Not sure we have to absolutely stone their running game - we definitely need to slow their running game down and force their QB to throw the ball to extend drives. Auburn is averaging 250 yog rushing - I think we have a good shot at winning if we hold them under 150 yards rushing. Also not sure I completely agree with 2nd key in article - that we need to run to set up the passing game. I think we need to pay close attention to what Auburn's D is giving us - for instance, if Auburn is going to line-up in 7-man fronts and dare us to throw the ball, we should take what they give us. Pounding the ball against an overloaded "box" is just going to play into their defenses' hands.

Not sure we have to absolutely stone their running game - we definitely need to slow their running game down and force their QB to throw the ball to extend drives. Auburn is averaging 250 yog rushing - I think we have a good shot at winning if we hold them under 150 yards rushing. Also not sure I completely agree with 2nd key in article - that we need to run to set up the passing game. I think we need to pay close attention to what Auburn's D is giving us - for instance, if Auburn is going to line-up in 7-man fronts and dare us to throw the ball, we should take what they give us. Pounding the ball against an overloaded "box" is just going to play into their defenses' hands.
I believe PSU has a very good chance of winning even if Auburn runs for close to 200 yards, as long as PSU is even in the turnover margin or better and PSU can run for 150 yards. Even if it takes Clifford to run for 40-50 yards in scrambles and designed QB runs. And it's because I believe PSU will pass for 100-150 yards more than Auburn will pass for.

roger.

first, not sure where I said we had to 'stone" their RG. Second, you always take what the D gives you. My guess is that AU will first, defend the pass. We haven't shown we can run the ball for several years now. At least, not against good competition. They are going to attack our RT to get pressure and bring a blitzer often. We counter with a RG and short passes into vacated zones to our TEs and RBs. That's the first quarter, adjustments are made from there.

We don't have to stop the run, just contain it. No real big ones, no 5 yards every play. Hold and force 3rd and long on each drive and we will win. Auburn will not convert multiple 3rd and longs in one drive too often. 3rd and long will also give us opportunity for turnovers. Auburn cannot really afford to throw much on first down as any incompletion puts them in a bad spot. I think that they are going to try to run and run and run. Manny should not go too crazy with blitzes, but i hear that he cannot control his desire to do so. Purdue did not seem that way, but we'll see.

It'll be fun. They'll probably come out throwing the ball.

get-after-it-get-it.gif
It's possible to win while not really stopping the run.

I believe PSU has a very good chance of winning even if Auburn runs for close to 200 yards, as long as PSU is even in the turnover margin or better and PSU can run for 150 yards. Even if it takes Clifford to run for 40-50 yards in scrambles and designed QB runs. And it's because I believe PSU will pass for 100-150 yards more than Auburn will pass for.
Exactly what I have been saying

I think jumping out in front is a key. A) AU doesn't seem to be built as a come from behind team; B) We can take the crowd out of it somewhat.

ADVERTISEMENT