ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State welcomes back Ohio State DE commit Zahir Mathis to campus

Dylan,
What would you project the probability is that he flips to us? I take it as an excellent sign that he has come back I guess for an unofficial visit after his official visit in June. Clearly he has interest in us. Although, it is concerning he still has his official visit to OSU to take so that could swing momentum back to them.

Dylan,
What would you project the probability is that he flips to us? I take it as an excellent sign that he has come back I guess for an unofficial visit after his official visit in June. Clearly he has interest in us. Although, it is concerning he still has his official visit to OSU to take so that could swing momentum back to them.
Hopefully PSU can continue to give him something to make him reconsider. I think as mentioned, the two biggest would be the opportunity to play as a Freshman because of the departures and the draftees.

Hopefully PSU can continue to give him something to make him reconsider. I think as mentioned, the two biggest would be the opportunity to play as a Freshman because of the departures and the draftees.
How much NIL? Can we afford him?

How much will PSU pony up? Who cares? I already root for a pro team!
The majority of fans that follows CF can say the same thing about their favorite CF team.

I read on OSU's Eleven Warriors that they have $20 million invested in their mind-boggling 2024 roster through NIL (cough, cough) and that came directly from their AD Bjorg (or something like that). And they're actually cheapskates compared to TAMU and especially Oregon and Phil Knight money. Most of the SEC is shelling out huge money now

Does Granville reclassification have anything to do with making room for Mathis?

You would think that the elite record of putting DEs into the NFL at PSU and the likelihood of early reps due to those headed there this year would be appealing.
I think players used to select a school based on their chances of getting drafted. I'm sure they still do that but I suspect for many it's how much they can get paid NOW.

I think players used to select a school based on their chances of getting drafted. I'm sure they still do that but I suspect for many it's how much they can get paid NOW.
Imagine making all this money in college, getting a chance to play in college and actually getting a degree for your future. John Urshel proved you can have a longer professional life outside of football, without destroying your body! Was that the Paterno plan all along?

Yes, but it's a brand new world now.
Imagine making all this money in college, getting a chance to play in college and actually getting a degree for your future. John Urshel proved you can have a longer professional life outside of football, without destroying your body! Was that the Paterno plan all along?

You can’t blame them. Regardless of anything happening in college football, the same number of players make it into the NFL today as they did 20 years ago. For the vast majority of them now is the time to make their money in football. We hope they get a degree along the way, but that’s just not a priority for many of these kids.

The majority of fans that follows CF can say the same thing about their favorite CF team.

I read on OSU's Eleven Warriors that they have $20 million invested in their mind-boggling 2024 roster through NIL (cough, cough) and that came directly from their AD Bjorg (or something like that). And they're actually cheapskates compared to TAMU and especially Oregon and Phil Knight money. Most of the SEC is shelling out huge money now
As I understand it there is NIL and a revenue share of up to approximately $20 million/year with athletes among the Power 5 schools that goes into effect in 2025.

What I don't know is if there are any guidelines on what athletes share in the revenue (i.e. football vs basketball, men's sports vs women's sports). Is that all up to the university? Will the revenue share be the same for each Power 5 school into the future or can/will schools spend more or share more with athletes, specifically football athletes? Will this become unregulated, uncapped spending like NIL is now?

On the NIL front, what is the plan, if there is any to bring any kind of structure, limits or guidelines to it? Looks like there is no plan currently. So OSU can invest $20 million? Oregon $30 million?? If that is never reigned in then these big spending programs will separate themselves and soon dominate the sport. It is happening now but will get worse as the "NIL factor" gets fully entrenched into player recruiting, retention and the transfer portal.

As for Penn State, it appears we won't be one of these big spending programs and I have read from the board mods, Richie and Dylan, that their sources say we are not even top 20 for NIL. We are middle of the pack B10 in terms of NIL. So given the talent disparity that creates from a top spending NIL school to where Penn State is then that tells you the projection of our future on-field performance will decline into middle of the pack B10 status.

How can that be avoided? If NIL is left to run unregulated then Penn State somehow has to become a big player in NIL. How do we do that? Get corporate sponsors of Penn State football involved? More wealthy donors? I have read on this board that donations are limited until Patetno is fully honored or recognized? That is never going to happen anytime soon.

What is the future outlook of Penn State and NIL and its implication on the performance of Penn State football on the field?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT