ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State WR Kaden Saunders dealing with 'bumps and bruises'

Hopefully Saunders is ready for WVU. Let's hope Fisher and Wylie would be back for USC.

Reactions: PSU4U
If no Saunders, who else has returned punts?

I can't remember anyone on the current roster doing so previously.

If no Saunders, who else has returned punts?

I can't remember anyone on the current roster doing so previously.
This being road game in a hostile environment, can't put a true Freshman like Q Martin out there. Perhaps Clifford or Singleton pulls double duty (KO & punt returner)?

Reactions: lazydave841
This being road game in a hostile environment, can't put a true Freshman like Q Martin out there. Perhaps Clifford or Singleton pulls double duty (KO & punt returner)?

If Martin or Denmark can do it in practice, truth be told, I'd probably like having one of them back there. I know the risk, but Saunders mishandled at least one and made below average decisions on multiple:

-FC ones he could have gotten yards on
-stepped away and let ones go he should have FC
-and trying to run ones with zero room and getting nowhere hence the 6.9 ypr average).

Give me a weapon back there. A guy who can make the first guy miss once a game. A guy who has the speed and vision to bust one and score us 6. Make them game plan the punt formation a little harder. Pressure.

The elite teams have confidence that their guy can make them pay with an average kick and one block. And if he fumbles? It's OK. Our top 10 defense will hold.

And if we give up points? That's OK. Allar is coming out and taking us down the field.

Nobody has won the title with a plodding offense and aggressive defense since '11 Bama (I think that's the team, lost to LSU 9-6 in the regular season, but win 21-0 in the natty game). And they took risks on STs. Blocked kicks by their secondary starters, big returns by their top athlete.

Reactions: bison13
If Martin or Denmark can do it in practice, truth be told, I'd probably like having one of them back there. I know the risk, but Saunders mishandled at least one and made below average decisions on multiple:

-FC ones he could have gotten yards on
-stepped away and let ones go he should have FC
-and trying to run ones with zero room and getting nowhere hence the 6.9 ypr average).

Give me a weapon back there. A guy who can make the first guy miss once a game. A guy who has the speed and vision to bust one and score us 6. Make them game plan the punt formation a little harder. Pressure.

The elite teams have confidence that their guy can make them pay with an average kick and one block. And if he fumbles? It's OK. Our top 10 defense will hold.

And if we give up points? That's OK. Allar is coming out and taking us down the field.

Nobody has won the title with a plodding offense and aggressive defense since '11 Bama (I think that's the team, lost to LSU 9-6 in the regular season, but win 21-0 in the natty game). And they took risks on STs. Blocked kicks by their secondary starters, big returns by their top athlete.
Remember, CJF is rather conservative when it comes to punt returnees. I think he should be more adventurous a you suggest, however his past history tells us he seems satisfied with someone who can secure the catch.

Remember, CJF is rather conservative when it comes to punt returnees. I think he should be more adventurous a you suggest, however his past history tells us he seems satisfied with someone who can secure the catch.

100% spot on.

BWI didn't have an answer, but mentioned...

Ivey
Martin
Denmark

Then said it's likely they go with one of the safeties (Winston, Reed).

BWI didn't have an answer, but mentioned...

Ivey
Martin
Denmark

Then said it's likely they go with one of the safeties (Winston, Reed).
Denmark has been impressive according to camp reports so maybe he gets the nod. A great way to get a young guy game experience.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yep, I'd put my money on Clifford.

But I'd like to see someone with some high end quickness and speed back there for the easier games where a turnover wouldn't be a game killer to see how they would handle the pressure of making catches like Denmark or whoever the coaches believe could be the next Hardy. I hope that Franklin learned something from keeping Hardy on the bench for 4+ years when he could have set a PSU career record for punts returned for touchdowns...

But I don't believe the WVU game in Morgantown in front of a stadium full of half inebriated hoopies is not the time to audition freshmen punt returners.....

Last edited:
Denmark has been impressive according to camp reports so maybe he gets the nod. A great way to get a young guy game experience.
Also a great way to lose a game in a hostile environment, which is likely Franklin's take on the situation. Franklin has not been much of a risk taker regarding punt returners. He said so many times that actually catching the punts is his #1 priority regarding punt returners.

Given the philosophy of having a guy back there whose priority was to catch the ball I’ve never understood why we don’t try for blocking punts more often. If you have a guy back there who’s going to fair catch half the time just because he’s the best we have at catching the ball, then why aren’t we putting more pressure on the punter.

Given the philosophy of having a guy back there whose priority was to catch the ball I’ve never understood why we don’t try for blocking punts more often. If you have a guy back there who’s going to fair catch half the time just because he’s the best we have at catching the ball, then why aren’t we putting more pressure on the punter.

Agree 100%. I know somebody will say "trying to block punts leads to roughing the kicker penalties", but teams generally snap, deep breath, lot of air kick it, and gunners yell at our guy while he catches it.

But I'd like to see someone with some high end quickness and speed back there for the easier games where a turnover wouldn't be a game killer to see how they would handle the pressure of making catches like Denmark or whoever the coaches believe could be the next Hardy. I hope that Franklin learned something from keeping Hardy on the bench for 4+ years when he could have set a PSU career record for punts returned for touchdowns...

But I don't believe the WVU game in Morgantown in front of a stadium full of half inebriated hoopies is not the time to audition freshmen punt returners.....
You have to learn at some point and if they can do it in practice then why not at WVU. The crowd should not affect a punt return.

You have to learn at some point and if they can do it in practice then why not at WVU. The crowd should not affect a punt return.
It shouldn't, but it does. And there is no use risking a fumble more than you have to when it's likely going to be a close game that a turnover can lead to a loss.

It shouldn't, but it does. And there is no use risking a fumble more than you have to when it's likely going to be a close game that a turnover can lead to a loss.
I get we don't want a fumble so you have to weigh the risk reward. When I hear Clifford's name being mentioned as a returner it just seems we are punting a little on getting an explosive big play and just need or want a guy to catch it. Pun intended there.

I get we don't want a fumble so you have to weigh the risk reward. When I hear Clifford's name being mentioned as a returner it just seems we are punting a little on getting an explosive big play and just need or want a guy to catch it. Pun intended there.
Yep, that's the trade off. Franklin's history seems to be pretty much towards the conservative side of that tradeoff. And I'm of the opinion that against WVU that may be the best approach. I don't believe PSU can afford to lose the turnover battle this Saturday and come out with a win. Should be a great game for both fan bases.

Reactions: RickinDayton
What evidence is there to suggest that it will be a close game?

What evidence is there to suggest that it will be a close game?
The line of 8.5 points for one. The fact that 70+K hoopies make WVU a tough place to play combined with PSU fielding a good many new starters that will experience pressure to play well in a hostile environment that they may not previously have faced as starters.

But I don't need "evidence" to post my opinion either!

Last edited:
The line of 8.5 points for one. The fact that 70+K hoopies make WVU a tough place to play combined with PSU fielding a good many new starters that will experience pressure to play well in a hostile environment that they may not previously have faced as starters.

But I don't need "evidence" to post my opinion either!
OK, well you are using your dogshit opinion to make declarations about roster decisions as though they are the gospel truth. WVU lost huge chunks in the trenches (both sides of the ball), has a very suspect defensive backfield, and has a bunch of nobodies at Wideout. All of that matches up very well with our strengths and weaknesses. And they were not a good team last year (average at best), so there is zero reason to believe that they made a huge leap in Week 1, with so many new pieces, especially under a coach who is likely to be fired in a year or two.

Anyone who is trying to make this game sound dangerous is just desperately trying to make banter on the internet. I 100% guarantee a PSU victory, and since it's my opinion I don't need to provide any "evidence".

Last edited:

I'm putting my money on Saunders playing. Maybe not at WR but just on punt returns. He might also be told to fair catch or get down quickly rather than risk aggravating his injury. I also have to assume somebody else was returning punts in practice aside from Saunders. Whoever that was would likely get the nod over Clifford IMO.

I don't see Clifford as a punt returner. I see him as a sure handed kid with good but not great speed. I don't see him as a skat back elusive type of player that is great at making people miss.

It is more likely to be half full of fully inebriated hoopies but not the way you put it. However many are there they will be fully blitzed.

Reactions: GregInPitt
OK, well you are using your dogshit opinion to make declarations about roster decisions as though they are the gospel truth. WVU lost huge chunks in the trenches (both sides of the ball), has a very suspect defensive backfield, and has a bunch of nobodies at Wideout. All of that matches up very well with our strengths and weaknesses. And they were not a good team last year (average at best), so there is zero reason to believe that they made a huge leap in Week 1, with so many new pieces, especially under a coach who is likely to be fired in a year or two.

Anyone who is trying to make this game sound dangerous is just desperately trying to make banter on the internet. I 100% guarantee a PSU victory, and since it's my opinion I don't need to provide any "evidence".
Yep, mys "dogshit" opinion seems to have put your panties in a bunch.

I said they are my opinions.

Regarding the actual "opinions" (i.e. your "dogshit") you are expressing, WVU also got a very good CB transfer, from what I read. You know, PSU lost a few CB's as well.... WVU lost 2 starters on the OL and believe they have very good replacements. PSU lost 3 OL starters (a "huger chunk)and believe they have very good replacements. WVU's best LB was out with an injury last season, and is back. WVU seems to have about the same amount of "new pieces" (more on defense than on offense) as PSU does from what I read.

Yep, WVU was not a "great team". They won 9 games, including their bowl game. PSU won 10 games, against probably a better schedule (not really a "great team" either).

And Yes, the home field does mean a good bit, especially in a season opening game against senior laden team.

Anyone that is trying to make this game rated by the expert as an 8.5 point game a layup is just trying to make banter on the internet, and obviously has no "evidence" to back it up.

Your guarantee means about $hit to anyone reading it.

To sum it up, you seem like a name calling juvenile clown show and I won't respond further to you B.S.

Cheers!!!!

Last edited:
I'm putting my money on Saunders playing. Maybe not at WR but just on punt returns. He might also be told to fair catch or get down quickly rather than risk aggravating his injury. I also have to assume somebody else was returning punts in practice aside from Saunders. Whoever that was would likely get the nod over Clifford IMO.

I don't see Clifford as a punt returner. I see him as a sure handed kid with good but not great speed. I don't see him as a skat back elusive type of player that is great at making people miss.
Will be interesting to see who does catch and return punts. But given that the extent or type of injury Saunders has had and now apparently still has I don't believe that if the injury is mobility related Franklin would let him return punts.

Didn't Clifford return a couple of punts last season?

Rumor is that Saunders was in pads on Wed so maybe it's a false alarm......

Last edited:
Also a great way to lose a game in a hostile environment, which is likely Franklin's take on the situation. Franklin has not been much of a risk taker regarding punt returners. He said so many times that actually catching the punts is his #1 priority regarding punt returners.
I agree. You need an experienced guy back there for this game.

If the game is out of hand in the second half, then start auditioning younger guys.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT