ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps my "darkest hour" that was self-inflicted (at the Rose Bowl)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So the Rose Bowl was an incredibly busy time. The first hour of getting to the stadium was one of the most frustrating (embarrassing) of my life.

• My brother, who is 74, had his flight canceled by Spirit the day before the game. He and his wife spent several hours trying to find an alternative but couldn't land LAX until 10 am on game day.
  • I pick him up at 10 am, take the shuttle to the hotel, and we get an Uber at about 10:45 am for about $40, which was an amazing price since most of the few days it looked like it was going to be over $100 because it was about 45 minutes in the car
  • So I rushed my brother into the car since the car was waiting, after his 5-hour flight
  • We get near the rose bowl, in a residential area, and are at a dead stop about a 15-minute walk from the parking area. I tell the Uber to just let us off and we'll walk the rest of the way so he can go and get another fare.
  • I was worried about my brother, the logistics, where the stadium was, how far of a walk it was, if the car can turn around, and more. So I get out of the car and run around the car to help my brother get out without getting hit by a car coming the other direction.
  • We then have to crawl over police barriers to get to this sidewalk. We walk about 100 yards and I realize I had forgotten my new iPhone 14 in the Uber. Worse, my eTickets are on the phone. My son says, no problem, just sign onto the site and download it. We walk around the parking and stadium area without getting a signal. At this point, I am swearing like a sailor....thinking I got my ass, my son, and my brother to Pasadena and won't be able to get into the game!!!
  • We walk to the will-call window to see if there is anything we can do...maybe they have wifi? Just before we get there, my son says "Dad, I got a signal!" After three failed passcode attempts, I finally get into the site and we manage to download the three tickets on my son's phone. And it works at the ticket gate. we are in!!!
  • I convince myself to settle down and enjoy the game. Maybe I can call Uber, maybe the driver will realize it is mine and drop it off. Maybe I can call my phone, he'll pick up and make arrangements. Worst case, I'll just get a new phone and bite the cost. We do the usual; get a bacon-wrapped hotdog, walk around, take some photos (with my son's phone) and walk into the game.
  • At one point, it starts to get a bit cold and I cross my arms over my chest. I feel a hard bump over my heart. I reach into my vest jacket and there it is MY PHONE!
  • I then remembered that I was cramped in the front seat of the smallish car, couldn't get my phone in and out of my front pants pocket, and put it in my vest pocket. But it stuck out because the pocket wasn't very deep and I didn't want to zip up the pocket as I was getting it to check the route and how far we were from the stadium. So I slipped it into my inside vest pocket for easy access. I completely forgot I did that and thought my phone fell out of my pocket in the Uber car.

This was one of the most frustrating and embarrassing moments of my life. I just couldn't believe that I'd let down my son and brother and we weren't going to make it into the game after spending a LOT of money to go.

My mother in law keeps her phone in a case with a purse strap. Maybe you need one? ;)

Shop Bandolier Unisex Plain Leather Logo iPhone 13 Pro Smart Phone Cases by  vibliss-us | BUYMA

So the Rose Bowl was an incredibly busy time. The first hour of getting to the stadium was one of the most frustrating (embarrassing) of my life.

• My brother, who is 74, had his flight canceled by Spirit the day before the game. He and his wife spent several hours trying to find an alternative but couldn't land LAX until 10 am on game day.
  • I pick him up at 10 am, take the shuttle to the hotel, and we get an Uber at about 10:45 am for about $40, which was an amazing price since most of the few days it looked like it was going to be over $100 because it was about 45 minutes in the car
  • So I rushed my brother into the car since the car was waiting, after his 5-hour flight
  • We get near the rose bowl, in a residential area, and are at a dead stop about a 15-minute walk from the parking area. I tell the Uber to just let us off and we'll walk the rest of the way so he can go and get another fare.
  • I was worried about my brother, the logistics, where the stadium was, how far of a walk it was, if the car can turn around, and more. So I get out of the car and run around the car to help my brother get out without getting hit by a car coming the other direction.
  • We then have to crawl over police barriers to get to this sidewalk. We walk about 100 yards and I realize I had forgotten my new iPhone 14 in the Uber. Worse, my eTickets are on the phone. My son says, no problem, just sign onto the site and download it. We walk around the parking and stadium area without getting a signal. At this point, I am swearing like a sailor....thinking I got my ass, my son, and my brother to Pasadena and won't be able to get into the game!!!
  • We walk to the will-call window to see if there is anything we can do...maybe they have wifi? Just before we get there, my son says "Dad, I got a signal!" After three failed passcode attempts, I finally get into the site and we manage to download the three tickets on my son's phone. And it works at the ticket gate. we are in!!!
  • I convince myself to settle down and enjoy the game. Maybe I can call Uber, maybe the driver will realize it is mine and drop it off. Maybe I can call my phone, he'll pick up and make arrangements. Worst case, I'll just get a new phone and bite the cost. We do the usual; get a bacon-wrapped hotdog, walk around, take some photos (with my son's phone) and walk into the game.
  • At one point, it starts to get a bit cold and I cross my arms over my chest. I feel a hard bump over my heart. I reach into my vest jacket and there it is MY PHONE!
  • I then remembered that I was cramped in the front seat of the smallish car, couldn't get my phone in and out of my front pants pocket, and put it in my vest pocket. But it stuck out because the pocket wasn't very deep and I didn't want to zip up the pocket as I was getting it to check the route and how far we were from the stadium. So I slipped it into my inside vest pocket for easy access. I completely forgot I did that and thought my phone fell out of my pocket in the Uber car.

This was one of the most frustrating and embarrassing moments of my life. I just couldn't believe that I'd let down my son and brother and we weren't going to make it into the game after spending a LOT of money to go.
All can be explained. It’s called old age.

I did this at a concert once in Atlanta. I went back to the hotel alone and back to the venue. Traffic wasn't the nightmare you went through. But I felt like an idiot for leaving the tickets in the room.

I was in my 30s. Lol

It’s one of those situations where you feel like an idiot, but I bet you were relieved as hell and happy you were not idiot enough to leave your phone in the car. Everything in life is a blessing and a curse.

I have a funny second hand Rose Bowl story. Good buddy of mine is friends with Will Ferrell - their wives were college roommates or something. Anyway, UT is going to play SC in 2005 and the Ferrells invite my friends to stay with them. Friends are coming in late, Ferrells are at their ski house and hit major traffic - won’t be there to greet my friends.

Ferrells tell my friends the code to get in, to make themselves comfortable, not to wait up, etc. Anyway, as a gag, they festoon the Ferrell house with as much UT stuff as they have and end up going to sleep.

Early the next day, they and Ferrell’s wife are eating breakfast. No Will. Then, he finally stirs. He comes down to the kitchen in full USC sweatsuit with helmet on - says not a word. Proceeds to eat his breakfast for 15 minutes - with helmet on - while giving them the silent treatment. Finally breaks character.

My buddy is also a cancer survivor. He’s in some charity race down in Austin one year and Will’s in it too. My buddy has a shirt on with his name and remission date on the back. He’s pedaling away when all of a sudden coming up fast behind him is a guy who shouts encouragement to him - “xxxx, you’re an inspiration!!! Keep going!!! You can do it”. Yes, it’s Will Ferrell being accompanied by a local race team he arranged to pace him. The dudes all have their race gear on and are hammering - Will’s in the back barely pedaling and waving to the crowd and goofing around

I had a similar experience with the U.S. open many years ago. Spent a lot for tickets, flew across the country, only to realize I had lost my phone and forgot the tickets. Went through all sorts of panic, but finally got inside and got to my seat. And then it occurred to me that I hate tennis and know nothing about it, so why was I even there? Such a waste.

I have a funny second hand Rose Bowl story. Good buddy of mine is friends with Will Ferrell - their wives were college roommates or something. Anyway, UT is going to play SC in 2005 and the Ferrells invite my friends to stay with them. Friends are coming in late, Ferrells are at their ski house and hit major traffic - won’t be there to greet my friends.

Ferrells tell my friends the code to get in, to make themselves comfortable, not to wait up, etc. Anyway, as a gag, they festoon the Ferrell house with as much UT stuff as they have and end up going to sleep.

Early the next day, they and Ferrell’s wife are eating breakfast. No Will. Then, he finally stirs. He comes down to the kitchen in full USC sweatsuit with helmet on - says not a word. Proceeds to eat his breakfast for 15 minutes - with helmet on - while giving them the silent treatment. Finally breaks character.

My buddy is also a cancer survivor. He’s in some charity race down in Austin one year and Will’s in it too. My buddy has a shirt on with his name and remission date on the back. He’s pedaling away when all of a sudden coming up fast behind him is a guy who shouts encouragement to him - “xxxx, you’re an inspiration!!! Keep going!!! You can do it”. Yes, it’s Will Ferrell being accompanied by a local race team he arranged to pace him. The dudes all have their race gear on and are hammering - Will’s in the back barely pedaling and waving to the crowd and goofing around
Did you ever hear the story of when Tom Brady went to Tampa for camp? Brady rents a penthouse suite for a couple of months. He gets a private jet to fly him into Tampa, gets a car to drive him to the suite. The owner tells him he left the door unlocked so go in and get settled. Tom Brady walks in, throws down his luggage and sprawls out on the sofa for a moment. Just then, some dude comes in from the bedroom and says 'who the F are you?" Turns out Tom Brady had the wrong address. Can you imagine walking into your living room to find an intruder and that intruder is Tom Brady?

It sucks getting old.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My uncle told me a story about a couple of guys from Williamsport that went to the Lake Placid Winter Olympics and had tickets for a USA hockey game. While standing in line to get in the venue the guy that got the tickets says " I wish I had my piano here". The other guy asks "why's that" he replies " my tickets are on top of the piano."

Are you my Dad? I swear to god, this sounds like something he’d do. He was once the sharpest tool in the shed. But now in his mid70s and retired, you’d think he was a ditsy blonde now.

How often do you have to call your cellphone at home to find it? Too often for me.

Reactions: MrDibbs
How often do you have to call your cellphone at home to find it? Too often for me.
Thats my wife almost every day - we still haven't found her glasses after 3 weeks, I find her car keys everywhere - garage, pantry, under couch cushions - she isn't even 55 yet - gonna be a rocky road later.

I feel your pain man. Some days are diamonds and some day definitely are not.

It’s too bad your son didn’t call your phone earlier.

One of my old age moments involved the search for my eyeglasses for two days, only to finally find them at the bottom of my swimming pool. I used to just walk out of my house and dive right in. Apparently, I was wearing my glasses and never realized they got ripped off of my head upon water impact.

Sad thing is, I did it the following week too, but I was lucid enough to search the pool first when the glasses went missing.

ADVERTISEMENT