ADVERTISEMENT

PFF bowl QB ratings (Clifford haters beware)

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Last edited:

JJ had some really up and down games.

Last edited:
Clifford tops the list. Nice way for him to go out!!

Something more on Clifford

From the 2nd article:

Who cares about a meaningless bowl game?”

The Rose Bowl is meaningless? Franklin and his team certainly didn’t think so.

Don't show this to Lando.

Yep, JJ seems pretty cocky for how he really performs at times when the heat's on. But he did play well enough against PSU to get the wins.

JJ is overrated!

From the 2nd article:

Who cares about a meaningless bowl game?”

The Rose Bowl is meaningless? Franklin and his team certainly didn’t think so.

Don't show this to Lando.
While the author seems to mock the sentiment, you do realize that he offered nothing to actually disprove it, right?

Also from the article...
[Allar's] 60 attempts were the third most by top 20 rated quarterbacks from the 2022 recruiting class....Multiple lower ranked quarterbacks from the 2022 class saw more action than Allar, but they were at struggling programs who weren’t playing for much this past season.

What exactly was PSU playing for after the 2 losses?
Division title? Nope.
B1G Championship? Nope.
Playoff spot? Nope
Spot in an exhibition game that has historically been better regarded than others? Maybe
In the end, PSU wound up in the Rose b/c tOSU took advantage of (probably) better teams losing their final game and got elevated into the CFP.
It's great. It feels good. It was an exhibition and had no objective meaning in today's CFB.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
While the author seems to mock the sentiment, you do realize that he offered nothing to actually disprove it, right?

Also from the article...
[Allar's] 60 attempts were the third most by top 20 rated quarterbacks from the 2022 recruiting class....Multiple lower ranked quarterbacks from the 2022 class saw more action than Allar, but they were at struggling programs who weren’t playing for much this past season.

Division title? Nope.
B1G Championship? Nope.
Playoff spot? Nope
Spot in an exhibition game that has historically been better regarded than others? Maybe
In the end, PSU wound up in the Rose b/c tOSU took advantage of (probably) better teams losing their final game and got elevated into the CFP.
It's great. It feels good. It was an exhibition and had no objective meaning in today's CFB.
And neither did your post.

What PSU fan didn't like Clifford's performance vs Utah?

Clifford made quick decisive passes through tight windows vs Utah. One second of hesitation and those passes get tipped or intercepted. I just wish he would have played with the same confidence vs UM and OSU.

• Love
Reactions: Grass and blair10
All-or-nothing thinking leads to a lot of misery. I think the game was meaningful for a lot of reasons. Only one team can win it all so there's 135 or however many other schools who had meaningless seasons by that measure. I suppose one can look at it that way but it's not very rewarding if your time and treasure is tied into only winning championships. We have two. That's a lot of disappointing seasons.

As a Phils fan I enjoyed the WS run. They damn sure had a lot of disappointing seasons but 2022 was not among them. They looked like crap for long stretches of the season but overachieved and made the fall a lot more fun. Houston was better. The Mets and Dodgers are better too. And others. That's ok with me because time spent watching a team I like is never meaningless, especially with other people around.

Also from the article...

Division title? Nope.
B1G Championship? Nope.
Playoff spot? Nope

I've had many people tell me this week, how good Penn State looked in the Rose Bowl. I was playing golf today at my club and had at least 20 people stop me to talk about and congratulate me on the win.

People weren't doing this to stroke my ego. I live in Virginia, and a lot of my friends are Hokie fans, and don't really like Penn State because, as they say, we steal a lot of their local talent. Despite this, they still told me how good Penn State looked on Monday.

If you truly think this game was meaningless, I'm not sure you are living in the real world.

I've had many people tell me this week, how good Penn State looked in the Rose Bowl. I was playing golf today at my club and had at least 20 people stop me to talk about and congratulate me on the win.

People weren't doing this to stroke my ego. I live in Virginia, and a lot of my friends are Hokie fans, and don't really like Penn State because, as they say, we steal a lot of their local talent. Despite this, they still told me how good Penn State looked on Monday.

If you truly think this game was meaningless, I'm not sure you are living in the real world.
10 million people watched a meaningless game..... :oops:

Reactions: johnmpsu

Seriously, is there a reason you felt the need to add the divisive phrase “Clifford Haters” .

It really wasn’t necessary. No sane sports fan who saw the Rose Bowl, would disagree that Sean Clifford had the best game of his career. Fans don’t need to rely on PFF to validate what they saw with their own eye balls.

If other fans disagree with the PFF assessment of Clifford’s Rose Bowl performance, it doesn’t make them ”Clifford Haters”. It just means they disagree.

You can tell those Hokie fans Virginia is just an extension of Pennsylvania. That is why PSU has so many players from Virginia.

Reactions: summitlion1
Seriously, is there a reason you felt the need to add the divisive phrase “Clifford Haters” .

It really wasn’t necessary. No sane sports fan who saw the Rose Bowl, would disagree that Sean Clifford had the best game of his career. Fans don’t need to rely on PFF to validate what they saw with their own eye balls.

If other fans disagree with the PFF assessment of Clifford’s Rose Bowl performance, it doesn’t make them ”Clifford Haters”. It just means they disagree.
"Seriously", there have been some here that have diss'd Clifford relentlessly. Yes, it was necessary.

idiots here think that playing Allar because they lost to Ohio State means that all the kids would’ve played just as hard the rest of the year.

Why wouldn’t they also have stopped playing any of the other upperclassman?

How do you know that by playing Allar they would’ve won all of the rest of their games? instead of a 10-2 regular season they are 8-4 and probably have young guys portal.

If they didn’t end the season, the way they did they would have all sorts of other teams coming after Carter and Singleton and Allen.

idiots here think that playing Allar because they lost to Ohio State means that all the kids would’ve played just as hard the rest of the year.

Why wouldn’t they also have stopped playing any of the other upperclassman?

How do you know that by playing Allar they would’ve won all of the rest of their games? instead of a 10-2 regular season they are 8-4 and probably have young guys portal.

If they didn’t end the season, the way they did they would have all sorts of other teams coming after Carter and Singleton and Allen.
Fanboys don't like to be confused with facts. Any coach who benched the #1 QB, established in practice in front of more than 85 team mates in order to "give experience" to another player.....would have lost the locker room, some games and likely much more.
Likewise, as alleged by some here, if Franklin had played Clifford merely out of a sense of loyalty, there would have been massive internal problems.
Clifford and Franklin "suffered the slings and arrows" for doing precisely the correct thing.

I work with an Ohio State fan and he told me he is really afraid of Penn State next year because of what he saw in the Rose Bowl.

I work with an Ohio State fan and he told me he is really afraid of Penn State next year because of what he saw in the Rose Bowl.
Been so close, seemingly so often. I've spent some time watching a few Utah podcasts. Suffice it to say, they are giving PSU more props than some of our "loyal" fans.
The common themes are......It would have been interesting if Cam didn't get injured, but PSU probably wins anyway. Kudos to PSU's speed, quickness, depth and are you ready? Game Plan.

"Seriously", there have been some here that have diss'd Clifford relentlessly. Yes, it was necessary.

Understood and thank you for the explanation.

As an aside, I enjoy your posts and conversing with you. Even when you disagree with a poster, you don’t resort to name calling and personal attacks.

Thanks for the civility. It is appreciated.

Been so close, seemingly so often. I've spent some time watching a few Utah podcasts. Suffice it to say, they are giving PSU more props than some of our "loyal" fans.
The common themes are......It would have been interesting if Cam didn't get injured, but PSU probably wins anyway. Kudos to PSU's speed, quickness, depth and are you ready? Game Plan.
Well, those Utah fans just don’t know enough about football.😂

Again, feel free to suggest even one objective measure of meaning. No one has.
I agree that Penn state looked good. I gave credit to the staff. It's probably the best prepared a JF team has been IMHO.
Also, general comment... I wouldn't put too much stock in anything a Hokie fan says. Having spent 22 yrs in VA, until last year, the Skins/Hokie fans are the dumbest football fan base I have ever encountered.

I look forward to hearing an objective measure of the rose bowl's meaning to CFB in 2022.

Again, feel free to suggest even one objective measure of meaning. No one has.
I agree that Penn state looked good. I gave credit to the staff. It's probably the best prepared a JF team has been IMHO.
Also, general comment... I wouldn't put too much stock in anything a Hokie fan says. Having spent 22 yrs in VA, until last year, the Skins/Hokie fans are the dumbest football fan base I have ever encountered.

I look forward to hearing an objective measure of the rose bowl's meaning to CFB in 2022.
Every college football fan I know were all very impressed with PSU and feel they’re going to be really good next year (and none of them are Hokie fans….they’re Ohio State, Kentucky, WVU and Michigan fans).

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Every college football fan I know were all very impressed with PSU and feel they’re going to be really good next year (and none of them are Hokie fans….they’re Ohio State, Kentucky, WVU and Michigan fans).
No disagreement on the assessment of the Rose Bowl or 2023 prospects... Just general advice on Hokie/commander fans

Last edited:
It obviously had no objective meaning. it was an exhibition without consequence to CFB. Should be much easier to prove the positive. If you tried, you'd be the first.
So what’s your point?

No disagreement on the assessment of the Rose Bowl or 2023 prospects... Just general advice on Hokie/commander fans
Pretty broad generalization though…every fan base has knowledgeable fans and fans that don’t know much. I don’t think having dumb fans is unique to any one fan base (except for maybe Pitt😁).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT