ADVERTISEMENT

PGA championship golf thread

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Will any of the LIV players make the cut, or did they all get fat and soft taking big $ for doing not too much?

My wife, son and I were at the PGA yesterday. I’ll bet it is a slippery mess today for fans as the course is more hilly than it looks on TV and many walking areas are on trampled down grass with slope…..

LIV did just fine…. About as you’d expect. They’ve got a couple of guys in contention. Of course, they are paying them billions as opposed to the PGA guys who get paid by result. They are the Mets of pro golf.

They ALL didn't get fat. Just most of them....... DJ is a shell of his former self. Rham went from #1 to not making the cut at the PGA.

Reactions: NJPSU
Is anyone else bothered by the TV coverage of Tiger? He was 20 strokes off the lead late Friday and yet the network covered every one of his shots. I respect his legacy, I've been at majors and seen the huge throng of fans that followed him from hole to hole, but that was then, this is now. Given every entity in professional sports doing all kinds of stupid stuff to woo younger viewers, how does this fit in? Are there any 20 yr old Tiger fans out there?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Is anyone else bothered by the TV coverage of Tiger? He was 20 strokes off the lead late Friday and yet the network covered every one of his shots. I respect his legacy, I've been at majors and seen the huge throng of fans that followed him from hole to hole, but that was then, this is now. Given every entity in professional sports doing all kinds of stupid stuff to woo younger viewers, how does this fit in? Are there any 20 yr old Tiger fans out there?
Yep, Tiger's current capabilities are an all out effort just to make a cut, which he can't even do regularly. But on Tuesday when we were in the stands at #9 green in the afternoon there were a good many fans that left after Tiger finished that hole. People still do want to just see him play, probably people that didn't see him play in the past.

I agree that I really don't want to see Tiger's shots on TV coverage, other than the early coverage when the leaders haven't been determined or if he makes the cut when the leaders haven't tee'd off yet. But focusing on him at this point is a disservice to the coverage.

In the same vain, the network didn't have any trouble not showing Scheffler's play once he lost his focus yesterday. They rightly focused their coverage on the players that were on top and those making a run to get near the top. And that with Scheffler the clear #1 player in golf.

For me, I've seen enough of Tiger to last me a lifetime, unless he some how regains his full health and game which is extremely unlikely. He really did himself in with his personal struggles as well as his poor decision driving the SUV he crashed. He's lucky to be alive and for me it's obvious he's not ready to really compete and likely never will be. At this point just an over the hill athlete trying to hang on who will likely fade away slower than he should.....

Reactions: OKLionFan
Give the people what they want.

Tiger played two competitive rounds at Augusta before his body gave out. He hasn’t played more than a handful of tournaments in the last three years. He can still hit it. Can his body build up enough for 72 holes? We’ll see. But that is what makes it interesting as a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT