ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Mercy Rule? .....

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Checked to see who was in the PIAA playoffs in the backwoods of D9 and found this....

If there was any thought of a Punxsutawney comeback attempt after the break, that was put away in a hurry when Karns City scored twice in the opening three minutes of the second half to get the PIAA Mercy Rule rolling up 35, 42-7.

I didn't know such a mercy rule existed. Is this just for the playoffs?

In Ohio once the point differential hits 30, the running clock rule begins. As soon as the ensuing kickoff is put in play, I believe the clock starts, even before it is kicked. Otherwise, the clock will only stop on penalties and change of possession. No such thing as an out-of-bounds play.
Not 100% certain, but I believe it only goes into effect in the second half.
This is regular season and playoffs.

OL

Last edited:
PIAA Mercy rule.

Rule 3-1-2

Running clock: Upon completion of the first half of an interscholastic football game at any level of competition or anytime during the second half when a team gains a 35-point differential over its opponent, the clock shall be stopped only when an official’s time-out is taken, a charged time-out is granted, a period ends or a score occurs. Once implemented, the mercy rule remains in effect, even if the differential becomes less than 35 points.

Checked to see who was in the PIAA playoffs in the backwoods of D9 and found this....

If there was any thought of a Punxsutawney comeback attempt after the break, that was put away in a hurry when Karns City scored twice in the opening three minutes of the second half to get the PIAA Mercy Rule rolling up 35, 42-7.

Happens all the time around here. It's nice because down 35 a team is going to throw every play, the games would take forever.

The PIAA has a mercy rule in many of their team competitions. Most involve letting the clock run when a certain score differential is reached. For PIAA sports in which there is a mercy rule, it is in effect for regular season as well as post-season competitions.

Regular season too.

Michigan barely avoided this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT