ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA State duals

When’s the last time a team got beat like that in the state dual finals? FLB got 12 points because of 2 forfeits, that’s it. They lost every other match

Faith is young. Impressive showing all weekend. Then add the fact they have the #1 ranked MS team. Poof, a new dynasty is started.

Who wins FCA or Becca

Faith is young. Impressive showing all weekend. Then add the fact they have the #1 ranked MS team. Poof, a new dynasty is started.

Who wins FCA or Becca
As of right now Beca wins IMO. Faith not having a true HW really hurts them.
107: Beca
114: Beca+Bonus
121:Faith+Bonus
127:Toss Up
133:Beca
139:Beca
145:Toss Up
152: Toss Up
160: Beca
172:Faith
189:Faith
215:Faith
285:Beca+Bonus

The year BEA won Clarion was packed for the BEA v McGuffy semi-final, the Giant Center not so much and those BEA fans traveled.

Bald Eagle won the first AAA PA dual team championship,
And,
Lost to AA Champion Brookville during that season

When’s the last time a team got beat like that in the state dual finals? FLB got 12 points because of 2 forfeits, that’s it. They lost every other match
Easton and Trinity was 47-15 in 2002 and Easton and Kiski was 43-12 in 2003. Upper Perkiomen beat Easton 46-19 in 2006.

Reynolds beat Northern Lebanon 54-18 in 2017. Reynolds beat Shady Side 42-18 in 2009. Becahi beat Boiling Springs 52-15 in 2012.

Reactions: danoftw

BEA beat Upper Perkiomen 53-0 in Finals
I was at that beatdown. The AA bout between Wyalusing and Brookville that night was truly outstanding, with Brookville winning 23-21. Every kid on both teams was a star.

But Upper Perk was all underclassmen while BEA had a bunch of Senior studs. And Upper Perk's best kids were invariably going against BEA's older studs.
Now FCA shows us that underclassmen studs can win it all, but not so much back then. UP's top wrestlers were Derek Zink (remember him from Lehigh?) and Mark Smith (I posted a video of Mark Smith decking Q Wright). Zink(Soph) and Smith(Fresh) went against Maney(Sr) and Guenot(Sr), who were 1st and 2nd in the state. That's how that night went.

I was at that beatdown. The AA bout between Wyalusing and Brookville that night was truly outstanding, with Brookville winning 23-21. Every kid on both teams was a star.

But Upper Perk was all underclassmen while BEA had a bunch of Senior studs. And Upper Perk's best kids were invariably going against BEA's older studs.
Now FCA shows us that underclassmen studs can win it all, but not so much back then. UP's top wrestlers were Derek Zink (remember him from Lehigh?) and Mark Smith (I posted a video of Mark Smith decking Q Wright). Zink(Soph) and Smith(Fresh) went against Maney(Sr) and Guenot(Sr), who were 1st and 2nd in the state. That's how that night went.
One of the wrinkles there too was Northampton sent their JV team to the tournament. In 1999, the state dual quarters and semis were on a Wednesday, two days before the individual district tournaments started, then the finals happened the Wednesday between Districts and Regionals. Don Rohn, in protest, sent his backups to wrestle in quarterfinals and they lost to Gettysburg (but took five bouts from the D3 champs), who lost a tight semi to Upper Perkiomen.

Bald Eagle Area definitely would have beaten Northampton - probably soundly. But, they wouldn't have taken all 13 matches - if nothing else, Aaron Suranofsky and Phil Hard would have bookended the match with wins at 103 and 275 (on paper I have Northampton taking 5, with Tommy Rohn (135), Eric Swankoski (160) and Marty Limpar (189) getting wins too). But the whole situation was weird, and lots of people were unhappy both with the position the PIAA put teams in and how Don Rohn and co. handled it - thought it did lead to the change in format we see today, with the entire tournament taking place in a single weekend before the individual postseason starts (which Rohn said in numerous interviews is what should have been done).

Northampton ended up having the individual postseason from hell that year - only medaling Suranofsky, with their four other state qualifiers losing in the blood round, and having three other guys miss states by a match. After winning the D11 tournament comfortably, Easton caught them at regionals and Parkland, Liberty, and Easton all finished in the top 6 in Hershey while Northampton fell to 15th. Lots of corners around the state felt that was karmically opened up by the JV team going to state duals.

My older brother wrestled Suranofsky from Northampton in the finals of the Haverford College Tournament. In 1959.

As of right now Beca wins IMO. Faith not having a true HW really hurts them.
107: Beca
114: Beca+Bonus
121:Faith+Bonus
127:Toss Up
133:Beca
139:Beca
145:Toss Up
152: Toss Up
160: Beca
172:Faith
189:Faith
215:Faith
285:Beca+Bonus
I put my money on BECA. I their there win against Malvern proved they can handle a tough team.

Upper Perkiomen beat Easton 46-19 in 2006.
In 2006, the semi's were the true finals. Upper Perk v Nazareth was one of my personal top 3 duals of all time. The other two were PSU-tOSU (of course) and a high school dual from 1961 where our team stopped a 53 meet winning streak.
Almost every bout in Upper Perk-Nazareth was decided in the last few seconds. The final bout, UP's Chris Sheetz needs 2 points to win a major and to win the dual. Anything less, the dual tied and Naz had criteria. With 3 seconds left, standing start: Sheetz attacks throws his patented headlock and the kids goes down. The buzzer sounds and the ref awards 2 points. I'm sitting with the Naz crowd (and laughing hysterically). They boo. The ref waves off 2 points. Naz crowd goes nuts! Screaming, celebrating. The ref says, 'I'm waving off back points. The takedown is good!'
That was sweet. The Naz fans went from outrage, to elation, to shock and disappointment. It was wonderful.

In 2006, the semi's were the true finals. Upper Perk v Nazareth was one of my personal top 3 duals of all time. The other two were PSU-tOSU (of course) and a high school dual from 1961 where our team stopped a 53 meet winning streak.
Almost every bout in Upper Perk-Nazareth was decided in the last few seconds. The final bout, UP's Chris Sheetz needs 2 points to win a major and to win the dual. Anything less, the dual tied and Naz had criteria. With 3 seconds left, standing start: Sheetz attacks throws his patented headlock and the kids goes down. The buzzer sounds and the ref awards 2 points. I'm sitting with the Naz crowd (and laughing hysterically). They boo. The ref waves off 2 points. Naz crowd goes nuts! Screaming, celebrating. The ref says, 'I'm waving off back points. The takedown is good!'
That was sweet. The Naz fans went from outrage, to elation, to shock and disappointment. It was wonderful.
I can't remember what I post where, but yes, the Nazareth-Upper Perk match was the obvious final that year - I made a list (in honor of the FC-ND quarterfinal) of years in 3A where the obvious final occurred before the actual final, but I think posted it on a different message board.

2000: Northampton 31 Easton 18 (D11 finals)
2003: Easton 34 Northampton 21 (D11 finals)
2004: Easton 31 Northamtpon 29 (D11 Finals)
2006: Upper Perkiomen 27 Nazareth 26 (Semis)
2009: Central Dauphin 31 Northampton 29 (Semis)
2010: Central Dauphin 35 Central Mountain 34 (Semis)
2012: Canon Mac 28 Central Dauphin 25 (semis)
2015: Franklin Regional 30 Becahi 25 (Semis)
2016: Bethlehem Catholic 33 Belle Vernon 30 (semis)
2018: Bethlehem Catholic 33 Erie Cathedral Prep 26 (semis)

Is there video anywhere of Sheetzy's TD? I am from UP and would love to see it.

Is there video anywhere of Sheetzy's TD? I am from UP and would love to see it.
I’ve never seen it - you’d need video from somebody who filmed it from the stands on a camcorder. PCN only put the finals on TV, so as a semi it was not professionally filmed.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I’ve never seen it - you’d need video from somebody who filmed it from the stands on a camcorder. PCN only put the finals on TV, so as a semi it was not professionally filmed.
I'd pay to have that match recorded. So many matches that the team points weren't decided till the last few seconds of most bouts. Zack Kemmerer scored a TF at 6:00. His freshman little brother won a barn burner (the same two guys faced each other in the state 3rd place bout, but this time Naz won.). Fiorito faced a Frick in what was a preview of the state final bout. Fiorito won both bouts, the states on a RO.
This was a match loaded with studs on both sides. As I recall, the Naz 103 pounder didn't make weight and his backup got decked. Wouldn't have wanted to be that kid going back to school the next Monday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT