ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates fans (or those left)

nits74

May 14, 2010
Tyler Glasnow proving once again he's nothing but a AAAA pitcher. Walks, HR's, thrown over 50 pitches, and not yet out of the 3rd inning. What a bust this farm system is turning out to be.

Reactions: Mixolydian
Once upon a time the Mets had a guy. Threw a million miles an hour. Walked a ton of guys. Backed off on the heater to get it over, and then would get hit around.

The Mets gave up on him because he was just a AAAA pitcher. So they traded him to the Cal Angels for a bag of scuffed practice baseballs.

I forget what happened to Nolan Ryan after that. Maybe you know.

He's got an ML-exclusive Steve Blass syndrome. For whatever reason, he can't handle the stress or whatever it is at the ML level. He absolutely dominates at AAA every time he's sent down, and then is atrocious at ML every time he's called up. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Once upon a time the Mets had a guy. Threw a million miles an hour. Walked a ton of guys. Backed off on the heater to get it over, and then would get hit around.

The Mets gave up on him because he was just a AAAA pitcher. So they traded him to the Cal Angels for a bag of scuffed practice baseballs.

I forget what happened to Nolan Ryan after that. Maybe you know.

Nolan never had an ERA over 4 in four seasons with the Mets (not counting his cup of coffee year). Pirates would kill for his "bad" years to be what Glasnow is going through.

Reactions: nits74
Nolan never had an ERA over 4 in four seasons with the Mets (not counting his cup of coffee year). Pirates would kill for his "bad" years to be what Glasnow is going through.
That was an era when virtually NOBODY had a ERA over 4. That was when Yaz won a batting title at .301 and guys were winning 30 games.

Look who knows if TG is any good. Maybe he sucks. But my leash on guys who throw 97 is a lot longer than for guys who mush and can't strike anybody out.

The Pirates are awful. Glasnow has to stay in the rotation till he develops or they send him on his way. What's the worst that happens? They lose?

Reactions: wbcincy
He's got an ML-exclusive Steve Blass syndrome. For whatever reason, he can't handle the stress or whatever it is at the ML level. He absolutely dominates at AAA every time he's sent down, and then is atrocious at ML every time he's called up. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Agree. I said earlier in the year to a very knowledgeable baseball guy that I had never seen anything like it. He brought up Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson so I stepped back.

Glasnow has some sort of a mental issue in my view and that can be way worse than some mechanical issue. I hope he can overcome it because his stuff is legit and they can't afford for him to be a bust. They are in deep enough shit with this organization's current 40 man roster as it is.

That was an era when virtually NOBODY had a ERA over 4. That was when Yaz won a batting title at .301 and guys were winning 30 games.

Look who knows if TG is any good. Maybe he sucks. But my leash on guys who throw 97 is a lot longer than for guys who mush and can't strike anybody out.

The Pirates are awful. Glasnow has to stay in the rotation till he develops or they send him on his way. What's the worst that happens? They lose?

It's not like they are going to cut him so he will obviously get more chances, but there is no analogy for Glasnow that I am aware of in my 50 years of following MLB.

The Moronager is fully committed and all-in with veterans who suck, like Watson, Hudson, and Benoit.

But a high-ceiling young guy? If he struggles, Hurdle can't wait to yank him and replace him with John Niese or Ryan Vogelsong.

Reactions: Jakey_John
At this point Glasnow should start every 5th day no matter what. Have to see if he can do it at the big league level. All young guys should be playing. Jaso and Stewart should not see another inning all year. (Shouldnt have all year anyhow.)

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
The Moronager is fully committed and all-in with veterans who suck, like Watson, Hudson, and Benoit.

But a high-ceiling young guy? If he struggles, Hurdle can't wait to yank him and replace him with John Niese or Ryan Vogelsong.

I hated the Niese and Vogelsong bullshit they pulled and was vocal about it here, but I have to disagree in Glasnow's case. If anything they've given him way too many chances too soon and just about each and every time is a complete disaster. His confidence is shot. His issues are mental at this point.

Reactions: nits74
At this point Glasnow should start every 5th day no matter what. Have to see if he can do it at the big league level. All young guys should be playing. Jaso and Stewart should not see another inning all year. (Shouldnt have all year anyhow.)
Stewart swings a bat with about six holes in it. Jaso goes a MONTH without a base hit. They're still in the lineup, night after night after night.

Meanwhile, Diaz sits or rots away in Indy while under-.200 Stewart and Fragile Frankie play. When Polanco gets hurt (again), the Pirates call up that outfielder who was ripping in Indy. He goes 0-6 and gets sent out, Jaso back in the lineup.

The Pirates are a joke team, and Nutmeg is laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Jakey_John
He reminds me of the cartoon character "Michigan J. Frog", who would do these amazing showtunes and vaudeville songs for only the guy who found him, but when the guy put him on the big stage, all he would do is croak and go "rivett, rivett".

He kills it in triple A ball and is unhittable, and then when you put him out there in the Big show, it's "rivet, rivet, ball 4, ball 8, home run, double, etc".

I hated the Niese and Vogelsong bullshit they pulled and was vocal about it here, but I have to disagree in Glasnow's case. If anything they've given him way too many chances too soon and just about each and every time is a complete disaster. His confidence is shot. His issues are mental at this point.
Even in AAA (until this latest stint) he had control problems. That's why they kept him down there for so long despite the howling to bring him up. I think they knew he wasn't ready, or may never be. I was surprised when he went north with them this year. He certainly didn't earn it in spring training or in his performance last year. Send him along with Cole and Marte to another team in the off-season. May be able to get something decent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT