ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt- Penn State Game Idea

PittFan97

Feb 4, 2004
I was thinking about how both fan bases could show their support for James Conner and beating cancer in general beyond ribbons and everything else. With the game early in the season I'm sure it will get a lot of national attention bc of it being the renewal of an old rivalry.

The only thing I could come up with was selling a black tshirt with both teams logos with some catchy saying on it. Obviously the proceeds would go to cancer research. What that saying would be (something more creative than "Black Out Cancer") I don't know but am open to ideas. I think it would be a great way to unite the two fan bases against a common more hated opponent.

I was thinking about how both fan bases could show their support for James Conner and beating cancer in general beyond ribbons and everything else. With the game early in the season I'm sure it will get a lot of national attention bc of it being the renewal of an old rivalry.

The only thing I could come up with was selling a black tshirt with both teams logos with some catchy saying on it. Obviously the proceeds would go to cancer research. What that saying would be (something more creative than "Black Out Cancer") I don't know but am open to ideas. I think it would be a great way to unite the two fan bases against a common more hated opponent.
I'd love to see something like that. I'll be at the game and would gladly participate.

Reactions: broey
One idea, have James Conner and Brian Milne (former PSU player who overcame Hodgekins) participate in the pregame coin toss.
If you know anyone at PSU that could get a hold of him, that would be a great idea! Lot of hostility right now between the schools, would set a great example if we could do something like that to display some great sportsmanship. I'm not familiar with Brian Milne, but would loudly cheer for him as well at the coin toss.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
How about the music and symbolism from Michael Jackson's song "Beat It"....teams enter and mill around till James and Brian enter and unite both teams?

How about the music and symbolism from Michael Jackson's song "Beat It"....teams enter and mill around till James and Brian enter and unite both teams?
Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure how Beat It fits in there. But I do really like the idea of James and Brian uniting the teams. And I wasn't trying to make that a joke or say it was dumb, I'm just thinking about it and can't think of the correlation between that and the song Beat It. Would you mind explaining please?

Great idea, no matter the jersey or team, it is a terrible and unkind disease.

Side note.....I find it a little hypocritical that when PSU goes out and can for pediatric cancer research the Pitt board talks about ways to not donate money to the cause simply because of the association with our school. Then when it hits a little close to home to Pitt, they want to join hands and come together. Not knocking the OP because I don't know him/her, but I hope they are not on the side of their delusional fans that are negative towards our canners.

Okay...guess you never read the lyrics...so I'll help you. Song is about turf battles and the insane damage it creates. In the end the two "warring" gangs unite. Kind of similar to the PSU vs Pitt fued. You have two fan bases (gangs) fighting for pride and supremacy. In the end the two schools unite to fight disease. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Pittx9

Side note.....I find it a little hypocritical that when PSU goes out and can for pediatric cancer research the Pitt board talks about ways to not donate money to the cause simply because of the association with our school. Then when it hits a little close to home to Pitt, they want to join hands and come together. Not knocking the OP because I don't know him/her, but I hope they are not on the side of their delusional fans that are negative towards our canners.

I always give whatever change I can grab quickly whenever I see students out collecting for THON. I think it is a great cause. I may be a Pitt fan mostly due to my brother going there at the same time I was in school and watching him march in the Pitt Band (directed by a PSU Alum btw), although my dad and oldest brother went to Penn State so I have ties to both schools. The only time I will admit to not donating was when I was approached by people who said they were collecting for THON but the cans were unmarked and they weren't even wearing Penn State apparel. Any time I've seen students out collecting, they've had apparel on or had marked cans. I emailed someone in charge of THON about it and they said they understand my suspicion and that it was better to err on the side of caution.

I just think it's a great way to show that two fan bases can stand for something so much more than a game. With our new AD pulling something like this off is a lot more possible since the Athletic Department isn't being micromanaged anymore.

Reactions: Bob78 and Pittx9
I always give whatever change I can grab quickly whenever I see students out collecting for THON. I think it is a great cause. I may be a Pitt fan mostly due to my brother going there at the same time I was in school and watching him march in the Pitt Band (directed by a PSU Alum btw), although my dad and oldest brother went to Penn State so I have ties to both schools. The only time I will admit to not donating was when I was approached by people who said they were collecting for THON but the cans were unmarked and they weren't even wearing Penn State apparel. Any time I've seen students out collecting, they've had apparel on or had marked cans. I emailed someone in charge of THON about it and they said they understand my suspicion and that it was better to err on the side of caution.

I just think it's a great way to show that two fan bases can stand for something so much more than a game. With our new AD pulling something like this off is a lot more possible since the Athletic Department isn't being micromanaged anymore.

PittFan97 that was not directed at you, that was to your board that tends to forget at the end of the day it is a game; an actual game. Some people let their feelings get out of control and let it bleed into their every day lives. I love talking football and love giving fans of other teams a hard time (all in fun) but when it crosses the line and becomes more than it should be I check out.

Thanks for your support for THON and I understand and respect your hesitation to not donating to unmarked cans as I would do the same. I support any collaboration between these two teams to raise additional awareness to cancer research.

Reactions: slwlion and therod
PittFan97 that was not directed at you, that was to your board that tends to forget at the end of the day it is a game; an actual game. Some people let their feelings get out of control and let it bleed into their every day lives. I love talking football and love giving fans of other teams a hard time (all in fun) but when it crosses the line and becomes more than it should be I check out.

Thanks for your support for THON and I understand and respect your hesitation to not donating to unmarked cans as I would do the same. I support any collaboration between these two teams to raise additional awareness to cancer research.

I know it wasn't directed at me just a select vocal few on our message board. Believe me, when I see them outside our games here, many if not most, Pitt fans are donating to the cause.

Reactions: uscgPSU
The Pitt fans' criticism of Thon relate to the lack of transparency surrounding the use of the donated proceeds. As I recall the bulk of the donated proceeds go to some fund called 4 diamonds (?)-- and then it gets very murky. To this day there is no explanation as to where these funds ultimately go. Given most of the BWI posters concern regarding the deceptive actions of the PSU BOT in recent years I don't think it is unreasonable to at least question or have some hesitation (are the funds being diverted to the BOT pet projects). Regardless, I think almost all Pitt fans admire the dedication practice by the PSU students.

The Pitt fans' criticism of Thon relate to the lack of transparency surrounding the use of the donated proceeds. As I recall the bulk of the donated proceeds go to some fund called 4 diamonds (?)-- and then it gets very murky. To this day there is no explanation as to where these funds ultimately go. Given most of the BWI posters concern regarding the deceptive actions of the PSU BOT in recent years I don't think it is unreasonable to at least question or have some hesitation (are the funds being diverted to the BOT pet projects). Regardless, I think almost all Pitt fans admire the dedication practice by the PSU students.

Here's a recent thread discussing this. Sounds like it's pretty legitimate.
http://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/question-for-tom-mc-on-thon-giving.67661/#post-933974

I love the video posted about Brian Milne. It takes me back...I was at all of Brian's high school games and attended the Save An Eye game he played in. Great kid, great representative of Penn State and to me it is the story that shows just what Joe Paterno was all about.

Reactions: Hartzie
Here I got one. How about passing THON cans around at Heinz Field? Put your Pitt money where your mouth is. I've read so much on Pitt boards about how phony THON is, etc., etc. Lets join both schools in the cancer fight shall we?

let this dead horse stay dead

It's been explained repeatedly and is not "very murky" despite some jealous Pitt fans and the despicable Mark Madden trying to imply that it is. The funds go mostly to pediatric cancer research with a smaller portion to cancer victims. Not sure why anyone struggles with that. Who is going to make sure that where the proceeds from an ad hoc shirt sale go isn't "murky"?

How about we join together to beat Mark Madden into a pulp? I realize this has nothing to do with cancer (although I believe some see him as one).

Having said that, I believe some gesture, in which some sort of manner in which the entire crowd at the stadium can participate, would be prudent. Does this type of cancer have a color associated with it, like pink for breast cancer or light blue for testicular cancer? Perhaps tie that in with the game.

And then stomp out Mark Madden.

Reactions: waltsrug

I think the problem people have is that the idea is great, but the PSU students are collecting money for a Childrens Hospital that treats no children from Western PA. I think they treated 1 child from Potter County last year. The other issue seems to be that everything is supposedly "For the Kids", but only 5% or so of the money actually directly supports the kids and their families. It is honorable that the PSU students collect the money. They should probably just collect in the central part of the state. Collecting in Pittsburgh and Philly take donations away from world class Childrens Hospitals.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I think the problem people have is that the idea is great, but the PSU students are collecting money for a Childrens Hospital that treats no children from Western PA. I think they treated 1 child from Potter County last year. The other issue seems to be that everything is supposedly "For the Kids", but only 5% or so of the money actually directly supports the kids and their families. It is honorable that the PSU students collect the money. They should probably just collect in the central part of the state. Collecting in Pittsburgh and Philly take donations away from world class Childrens Hospitals.

You do realize that Hershey Med Center covers a large area of the state and the money goes so that famies of kids treated there have no bills for anything not covered by insurance (which, speaking from experience, can really be a lot by the way) and for cancer research. That stuff gets presented at conferences, published, results in joint studies with other medical centers, and shared in the medical community which helps cancer victims anywhere- not just in central PA.

You think Penn State students standing on a few street corners collecting loose change for 3-4 weekends a year puts a dent in the fundraising of Chdrens hospital in Pittsburgh??? C'mon, no one can seriously believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscgPSU
You guys have taken a nice thought and managed to make it into another sniping contest between the two fan bases. Get back on track.

Last edited:
Reactions: broey
I just did a search online and everything I found in terms of color for the awareness of it is purple.

Why don't we just line up and try and beat the snot out of the other team? Why is every game turning into a cause celeb ? Support this or that? Wear this color or a ribbon for whatever? For 12 Saturdays a year let's just compete. That leaves 353 days for supporting whatever cause you want to support.

Why don't we just line up and try and beat the snot out of the other team? Why is every game turning into a cause celeb ? Support this or that? Wear this color or a ribbon for whatever? For 12 Saturdays a year let's just compete. That leaves 353 days for supporting whatever cause you want to support.

Yes that is what the football teams will do.

Let's hope the fan bases act with more compassion and class than your post has shown you to be.

You make a valid point. However, in this case it is to support a 20-something year old who's been diagnosed with a potentially life altering ailment.

Regarding those debating THON, I think people have just become jaded in terms of charitable organizations because in many cases a lot of the money isn't going where it's said to. I have zero issue with the young men and women who volunteer to do it and I for one would welcome them at Heinz because it's not a pissing contest no matter how much some want it to be.

I and most I would think support THON or anything that donates to things like cancer. Personally, I just don't like kids jumping out in the middle of the road and knocking on my window. The actual cause though is great. Anyone, Pitt fan or not, who is against THON, well I don't know what to even say to that person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT