ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt ????

This doesn't sound like Pitt turned down the Pinstripe bowl.

#Pitt AD Scott Barnes said he spoke a lot with Pinstripe: “Why they chose Duke, you’re going to have to ask them."

Uhhh oh. Your destroying the rationalization and delusion that Pitt fans have created the last 24 hours that they "chose" to drop 5-6 bowl slots to play Navy and stay close to home rather than play teams from the SEC, PAC 12 and Big 10. :rolleyes:

Ok. So Duke travels well? And Indiana? Pitt avg 48k+, Duke avg 26K this year. There was also a rumor that Duke was going to be selected because they had a great number of alumni in NYC. Also, Pitt traveled well to the Big East hoops tournament there. I understand that Pitt has not traveled well in the past, especially since fans were unhappy with the bowls there were assigned, but it is obvious that Pitt took the lesser bowl because it was better for them after the Pinstripe.

So you are saying the Military bowl was better for Pitt than the Belk bowl, Sun Bowl, and Music City bowl? The reason Pitt is not playing in one of those bowls and teams they have either beaten or had better records than is because Pitt is not respected. Has to be an eyeopener for the "412Crew" Pitt's best year in 6 years and they are playing in Annapolis, Maryland against Navy.

This doesn't sound like Pitt turned down the Pinstripe bowl.

#Pitt AD Scott Barnes said he spoke a lot with Pinstripe: “Why they chose Duke, you’re going to have to ask them."

Because Duke is more of a football school than Pitt.

GT74 said:
Pitt avg 48k+

Haha, I think you accidentally typed a "k" in there.

2nationalchampionships said:
It is nice to have your coach in demand!

You fail to realize that if your coach is in demand, it's because your school is a stepping stone to a major program for up and coming coaches. So it's actually a really bad thing that your coach might be in demand.

Reactions: john4psu
Until Pitt stops blaming Joe Paterno for all their woes and attends their own games, they will continue to get sh1t on. It's all about money. There is enough freedom in the bowl/playoff structure to still allow humans to influence the selections. With that, no business man/woman wanting to make $$ is going to invite Pitt to their game. Even if Pitt were to go undefeated one day down the road, they still may get left out of the 4 team playoff provided there is a 1 loss team (who travels well) sitting on the bubble.

The notion that Pitt attendance was 48k+ is a joke to anyone with a set of eyes. Empty yellow seats don't stay in hotels or eat at restaurants, regardless of whether someone at some point bought a $6 seat before the opera schedule and museum hours were released. And the Bowls know it.

It is nice to have your coach in demand!

Pitt never has issues having a "coach in demand" otherwise they wouldn't be left at the altar so often. I'm sure Pitt put in a nice little buyout for the first year or two of Narduzzi's contract. What Narduzzi proved this year wouldn't have caused any of the teams looking to pay that without knowing for sure if he is a good coach. Now, if he proves this year was not smoke and mirrors and due to a poor ACC coastal, I think next year he will be waving goodbye. But, looking at Pitt's schedule and the influx of decent coaches in the ACC, I think Pitt will be 5-7 or worse next year.

Reactions: Marshall30
Until Pitt stops blaming Joe Paterno for all their woes and attends their own games, they will continue to get sh1t on. It's all about money. There is enough freedom in the bowl/playoff structure to still allow humans to influence the selections. With that, no business man/woman wanting to make $$ is going to invite Pitt to their game. Even if Pitt were to go undefeated one day down the road, they still may get left out of the 4 team playoff provided there is a 1 loss team (who travels well) sitting on the bubble.

Navy can pack their own stadium. They don't need to rely on the 12 Pitt fans to attend.

Uhhh oh. Your destroying the rationalization and delusion that Pitt fans have created the last 24 hours that they "chose" to drop 5-6 bowl slots to play Navy and stay close to home rather than play teams from the SEC, PAC 12 and Big 10. :rolleyes:

Pitt is trying to avoid breaking the record they already hold for most embarrassing bowl loss ever.

People are being too hard on Pitt fans. Why in the world would any fan want to go to a bowl game if it means leaving behind chipped ham, Primanti Bros. sammiches, Klondike bars, kielbasa and pierogies, especially during the holiday season?

People are being too hard on Pitt fans. Why in the world would any fan want to go to a bowl game if it means leaving behind chipped ham, Primanti Bros. sammiches, Klondike bars, kielbasa and pierogies, especially during the holiday season?

They probably don't even have a decent Opera or Symphony in Annapolis. Don't get me started on what they call "museums" down there.

Reactions: psu00

Some of that would make the start of a decent tailgate. The problem is they don't know how to tailgate because they....well....they don't go to the games, they are at the museum.

Reactions: psu00
Ok. So Duke travels well? And Indiana? Pitt avg 48k+, Duke avg 26K this year. There was also a rumor that Duke was going to be selected because they had a great number of alumni in NYC. Also, Pitt traveled well to the Big East hoops tournament there. I understand that Pitt has not traveled well in the past, especially since fans were unhappy with the bowls there were assigned, but it is obvious that Pitt took the lesser bowl because it was better for them after the Pinstripe.

Where to even begin? No way Pitt averaged 48k. Heinz only seats like 66k and bright neon yellow seats (everywhere) don't lie.

Also, it is not "obvious" Pitt took the lesser bowl to play Navy in Annapolis. Who the hell would do that?

"No, we don't want to play Texas A&M in the Music City Bowl or Washington State in the Sun bowl. Play an SEC team in Mississippi State in the Belk bowl in Charlotte? No flippin' way. Play in New York City? Hell no. Let's play in Annapolis, Maryland against a service academy- that's the obvious choice here." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is obvious (to anyone not trying to rationalize Pitt's poor selection spot yesterday) is that bowls passed on Pitt......repeatedly......to take other teams.

Hell, your AD admitted as much with his quote on the Pinstripe taking Duke football over Pitt. Your own AD says you're wrong.........but delusion is strong in Pittsburgh apparently.o_O

Pitt never has issues having a "coach in demand" otherwise they wouldn't be left at the altar so often. I'm sure Pitt put in a nice little buyout for the first year or two of Narduzzi's contract. What Narduzzi proved this year wouldn't have caused any of the teams looking to pay that without knowing for sure if he is a good coach. Now, if he proves this year was not smoke and mirrors and due to a poor ACC coastal, I think next year he will be waving goodbye. But, looking at Pitt's schedule and the influx of decent coaches in the ACC, I think Pitt will be 5-7 or worse next year.

Who cares how long Narduzzi stays around? All I want out of a Pitt coach is that they allow the top Pittsburgh area prospects to come to Penn State. Narduzzi is doing a wonderful job of that so far. To date, JF has lost about 4 recruits he's offered to Pitt. We've landed over 30 with Pitt offers. PSU fans don't need to root for Narduzzi to leave. He's fine right there.

Coaches are in demand if they are good coaches! Wow….get out much?

Because Duke is more of a football school than Pitt.

Haha, I think you accidentally typed a "k" in there.

You fail to realize that if your coach is in demand, it's because your school is a stepping stone to a major program for up and coming coaches. So it's actually a really bad thing that your coach might be in demand.

And yet they easily are able to generate yet another thread on the Pennstate board. They are soooo- inside our head.
Yup. Thank God Penn State fans aren't obsessed with other schools failures like they are with Penn State.

If Pitt averaged 48,000 then 40,000 of them must've been dressed like this:
the-first-four-after.jpg

BTW, this pic is from a Pitt tailgate.

Last edited:
If you read the guidelines of the ACC for bowl selection, it is obvious that Pitt volunteered to take the Military over the other Tier 1s. The guidelines do not allow those other teams to 'jump' Pitt. I think the AD was good with the Military Bowl due to its proximity to Pittsburgh and the quality of the opponent. Navy is 9-2, ranked in the top 25, and has a Heisman candidate QB. This is more attractive than the other bowls, which had lesser opponents. Some Pitt fans are angry, but the explanation on the message board is documented.
So what you are saying is Pitt CHOSE to play in the Military Bowl ($1.00M / team) over the Music City ($2.75M), Sun ($2.15M), Pinstripe ($2.00M) and Belk ($1.70M) Bowls? Riiiiiiiiiight!!!

So what you are saying is Pitt CHOSE to play in the Military Bowl ($1.00M / team) over the Music City ($2.75M), Sun ($2.15M), Pinstripe ($2.00M) and Belk ($1.70M) Bowls? Riiiiiiiiiight!!!

Yes, what's so hard to understand? Lol. sPitt is playing in the annual "Spin Bowl"!!!! Their idiot AD attempts to spin their bowl into something respectable.

#MissionImpossible

You mean you can't tailgate at the museums?!? ****, I've been doing it all wrong!

Well, I don't think they let you tailgate at the museums. That would be so uncouth..........

But apparently the Pittsburgh Opera is a sight to behold on game day. Nothing is more exciting for Pitt football fans than when Brunnhilde finishes her big song at the end of Act 2.

opera-singer.jpg

The lights dim, the curtain drops and the buzz starts to sweep the Opera Hall. Then, suddenly, the entire Hall starts the wave and sings 'Sweet Caroline' before the curtain raises on act 3 and Brunnhilde returns to belt out another catchy tune.

A night at the opera with Pitt football fans is like no other........Who in their right mind would leave that to sit in a half empty football stadium and watch Pitt football? ;)

2nationalchampionships said:
Coaches are in demand if they are good coaches! Wow….get out much?

Part of being "in demand (as a college coach)" is being at a program that you can easily leave, and there is a class of better schools that will try to lure that coach away. Nick Saban is not "in demand," there aren't a swarm of other schools trying to lure him away. He makes too much money at an elite school. I can't believe I have to explain this... I guess you don't get out much?

Now that I've dispositional your attempt at distraction, care to actually address any of the substance of my post?

So here is your post:

It is never a bad idea to have your coach in demand. That makes no sense at all. You seem to think because HCPN is in demand and at a school that is a stepping stone as you infer, like it was for BOB, that we may lose him to another team (college/pro). As I have said many times, we will see. There have been many jobs open and he is still our coach so……

It is going to sting losing to PITT in 40 or so weeks!

Part of being "in demand (as a college coach)" is being at a program that you can easily leave, and there is a class of better schools that will try to lure that coach away. Nick Saban is not "in demand," there aren't a swarm of other schools trying to lure him away. He makes too much money at an elite school. I can't believe I have to explain this... I guess you don't get out much?

Now that I've dispositional your attempt at distraction, care to actually address any of the substance of my post?

So here is your post:

It is never a bad idea to have your coach in demand. That makes no sense at all. You seem to think because HCPN is in demand and at a school that is a stepping stone as you infer, like it was for BOB, that we may lose him to another team (college/pro). As I have said many times, we will see. There have been many jobs open and he is still our coach so……

It is going to sting losing to PITT in 40 or so weeks!
Big difference between being a stepping stone to the pros (BOB) and a stepping stone to a real D1 school (Harris, Graham, Chyrst, etc, etc, etc).

Look, face it, Pitt could be in the National Championship game and they wouldn't travel well. They don't travel in Pittsburgh.

Barnes said he spent a lot of time speaking with Pinstripe officials, going back as far as late summer.

“We put a really strong travel and marketing plan together that they were enthusiastic about, as was the Military Bowl,” he said. “Why they chose Duke, you are going to need to ask them. They were in our sights and we were in their sights.”

An email to Pinstripe officials was not returned Sunday night.

Bowl officials are concerned about selling tickets, and Pitt, which has played four of its past five bowl games in Alabama and Texas, hasn't always been accompanied by swarms of fans.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Look, face it, Pitt could be in the National Championship game and they wouldn't travel well. They don't travel in Pittsburgh.

Barnes said he spent a lot of time speaking with Pinstripe officials, going back as far as late summer.

“We put a really strong travel and marketing plan together that they were enthusiastic about, as was the Military Bowl,” he said. “Why they chose Duke, you are going to need to ask them. They were in our sights and we were in their sights.”

An email to Pinstripe officials was not returned Sunday night.

Bowl officials are concerned about selling tickets, and Pitt, which has played four of its past five bowl games in Alabama and Texas, hasn't always been accompanied by swarms of fans.
Not a Steelers fan, but I was under the impression that fan base was extremely loyal and traveled very well. No?

worse than Temple playing AT Navy for a Bowl game :) Apparently a tier 2 bowl. and they were passed over by 3 other ACC schools with worse records. Not much respect.

The game starts at 2:30 in the afternoon on a workday. How embarrassing is that! The game should just be cancelled. I wonder which minor TV channel will carry it, if any.

Totally irrelevant game for an irrelevant team representing an irrelevant school from an irrelevant city.

Reactions: Alphabets
Pitt wanted the Pinstripe, but the Pinstripe didn't want them. It comes down to how well they travel and they don't travel well even in the Burgh.

I'm surprised, you would thing all of those operas, Broadway shows, concerts would love to bring in the hundreds of thousands of Pitt fans that would attend those.

I'm most amused by their fans' impression that Barnes and Narduzzi actually had a say in where they ended up, and really preferred Navy in Annapolis on a Monday afternoon to IU in NYC on a Saturday. That conversation probably went something like....

image.png

Nardog was afraid to play IU...cant lose badly to a team we beat. LOL.

Okay that is pretty illogical and simpleminded.
"And if we do, we'll still out-recruit you, and we'll still go to a better bowl game. Whatever Pitt does, nobody notices."

Agreed this is illogical. I'm sure there are at least 9 people who would notice ... one for each National Championship!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT