ADVERTISEMENT

Playing guitar is so simple

Amazing. I was listening to an interview with two beat Rock artists. One was Keith Richard’s but can’t recall the other. But they were saying they measure the talent of the player based on his right hand, not his left (for a right handed player). They days that is where the true talent lies.

Also, the guy I took lesson with (played for Alice Cooper) told me that van Helen was the first guy he saw that could play with his left hand only. He said he’d never heard anyone play like that so started to accumulate and look at live video to see what he was doing. Van Halen would turn away from the audience so nobody could see and duplicate it. Later, once the technique got out, VH quit hiding it.

I have no idea how true that is, just relating what my instructor told me. And he was a very successful and published player himself.

Amazing. I was listening to an interview with two beat Rock artists. One was Keith Richard’s but can’t recall the other. But they were saying they measure the talent of the player based on his right hand, not his left (for a right handed player). They days that is where the true talent lies.

Also, the guy I took lesson with (played for Alice Cooper) told me that van Helen was the first guy he saw that could play with his left hand only. He said he’d never heard anyone play like that so started to accumulate and look at live video to see what he was doing. Van Halen would turn away from the audience so nobody could see and duplicate it. Later, once the technique got out, VH quit hiding it.

I have no idea how true that is, just relating what my instructor told me. And he was a very successful and published player himself.
Speaking of guitars, every time I heard the song The Weight by The Band when he says “I pulled into Nazareth, feeling about half past dead” I thought to myself he has to be talking about Nazareth PA and I bet it’s because of the Martin guitar factory there. So I mentioned it to my wife when the song came on in the car recently. She did a little research and apparently the liner notes explain exactly that. The other interesting thing about the song is that the group Nazareth also took their name from the lyrics.

Speaking of guitars, every time I heard the song The Weight by The Band when he says “I pulled into Nazareth, feeling about half past dead” I thought to myself he has to be talking about Nazareth PA and I bet it’s because of the Martin guitar factory there. So I mentioned it to my wife when the song came on in the car recently. She did a little research and apparently the liner notes explain exactly that. The other interesting thing about the song is that the group Nazareth also took their name from the lyrics.
Wow, great connection! Sleays thought it biblical connection.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT