ADVERTISEMENT

Police: LSU player kills man trying to rob him, teammate

Glad they were able to defend themselves however they are not heroes.

They got trash off the street.

Any 18 year old who pulls a gun out to rob someone has a rap sheet already or is heading to having one. Now it won’t be a problem.

Hey NCAA. Just let him kill me.
I’m sure NCAA infraction don’t run in your mind when someone pulls a gun on you.
No, obviously. I'm just saying that I find the element of what they had in their possession to be robbed an interesting part of the equation. I'm not suggesting that they should not have acted in self defense or am I suggesting that the legal ramifications are not a bigger part of the story.

This statement is everything that’s wrong with America.

Robber pulls unregistered, unlicensed gun out. Victimmpulls gun out to defend and the victim is the one that broke the law.

Seems like player provided a public service here.
It's not that complex. No heroes. One guy dead, another guy will carry the knowledge that he shot someone to death, to his grave.

All for ownership of an outmoded video game. You think "unlicensed, unregistered" is a crime when one guy does it, but you're not interested in whether your hero violated the same law. Painfully stupid.

No, obviously. I'm just saying that I find the element of what they had in their possession to be robbed an interesting part of the equation. I'm not suggesting that they should not have acted in self defense or am I suggesting that the legal ramifications are not a bigger part of the story.

The Idea or fact that they were football players should have never been brought up. They were two kids that did EVERYTHING within their rights. Only thing that therevguilty of was using bad judgement of where to meet the seller.

Reactions: RussianEagle
It's not that complex. No heroes. One guy dead, another guy will carry the knowledge that he shot someone to death, to his grave.

All for ownership of an outmoded video game. You think "unlicensed, unregistered" is a crime when one guy does it, but you're not interested in whether your hero violated the same law. Painfully stupid

You are right. The robber pulled a gun first. The players shouldn’t have done nothing. Get robbed or worst.

The Idea or fact that they were football players should have never been brought up. They were two kids that did EVERYTHING within their rights. Only thing that therevguilty of was using bad judgement of where to meet the seller.
That's the very thing we dont know....whether they did everything within their rights. If he was following local carry laws, fine, but we dont know that. You assume he was, and call them victims.

He was cleared moron. Can you read??
Wow. They declared it self defense. He could still face a charge for the weapon or for the game itself. And sorry, I would like to see the police investigation, not read what some cheerleader reporter says.

No doubt, and maybe I'm just cynical. I am just curious what they had in their possession, not that they defended themselves. Just one of my initial thought when I read the story.

Wow. They declared it self defense. He could still face a charge for the weapon or for the game itself. And sorry, I would like to see the police investigation, not read what some cheerleader reporter says.

The police said NO CHARGES would be filed. Sorry your buddy the robber got led in his ass. Keep rooting and playing the victim card on those who commit crimes and acting like those who use self dense with in their rights are the real criminal pussy.

NJ gun laws protect the criminal or the aggressor in almost any self defense situation where gun shots are fired. Both LSU kids would be in serious trouble here, hopefully in Louisiana they have a chance of getting off.

Reactions: PennStateNate
NJ gun laws protect the criminal or the aggressor in almost any self defense situation where gun shots are fired. Both LSU kids would be in serious trouble here, hopefully in Louisiana they have a chance of getting off.

They will Louisiana has the “Stand your ground law”.

They did everything within their rights. They even made the 911 call and waited for the police.

Good Guys 1
Street Scum 0

The police said NO CHARGES would be filed. Sorry your buddy the robber got led in his ass. Keep rooting and playing the victim card on those who commit crimes and acting like those who use self dense with in their rights are the real criminal pussy.
"LSU players called police, waited at the scene, were questioned and were released while the investigation continues."

Hopefully you can read and understand this.

So, self defense is now a defense to a lack of registration/license, or will they look at the other charges, including ownership of the game, as this continues?

You can be innocent of the shooting, and get a pass for other illegal conduct because you are a fb player. You ought to know better than to read NEWS reports as truth.

So, self defense is now a defense to a lack of registration/license, or will they look at the other charges, including ownership of the game, as this continues?

You can be innocent of the shooting, and get a pass for other illegal conduct because you are a fb player. You ought to know better t hff an to read NEWS reports as truth.

Omg Demlion give up. They aren’t getting charged. You really can’t be this stupid, right?? The robber pulled a gun on them, that gave them right to stand their ground.
They have been cleared. They did nothing wrong outside of meeting in a unsafe place.

You can be innocent of the shooting, and get a pass for other illegal conduct because you are a fb player. You ought to know better than to read NEWS reports as truth.

What would have been the appropriate way to handle the situation, in your opinion? Just take the robbery like a man?

Reactions: IIVI and bison13
What would have been the appropriate way to handle the situation, in your opinion? Just take the robbery like a man?

There LSU players. Take what he says with a grain of salt. If this was two non athlete small school kids who did this it wouldn’t be discussed on here.

He don’t understand self defense means they acted that their lives were in danger and cleared of ALL wrong doings. Even if you aren’t allowed to carry, you shot in self defense after a gun is pulled on you. I doubt anybody is going to charge you.

NCAA or school could suspended them for selling on the electronic. But by all accounts they also need nothing illegal there either.

I never said it was not self defense. Brandishing a gun in close quarters seems to be the basic self-defense situation. But self defense only excuses the shooting, not any and all criminal conduct you did that day. Was the device theirs, or stolen? Was the gun legal under the local law?

Those considerations have nothing to do with the self defense claim. Perhaps there is nothing there, or perhaps there is something and we are not hearing it. Anyone who takes the media's rendition without question is making a mistake, most likely.

This is going to be interesting.

Two LSU football players were trying to sell an electronic item when one of them fatally shot an 18-year-old man trying to rob them, police said Sunday.

A statement released by Baton Rouge police does not identify the players, but a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that the players are running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and linebacker Jared Small. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because LSU and police have not released the players' names.

The man killed was identified by police as Kobe Johnson. He was not an LSU student and died at the scene Saturday.

LSU players called police, waited at the scene, were questioned and were released while the investigation continues.

After Johnson displayed a weapon, one of the players pulled out a handgun and fired multiple times, police said. Authorities have not said whether the player was licensed to carry the firearm he used.

Edwards-Helaire, a Baton Rouge native, has rushed for 626 yards and seven touchdowns in 12 games this season. Small, a freshman who also is from Baton Rouge, has played sparingly.

It remains to be seen how LSU will handle their playing status when the Tigers finish the season against UCF in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

The only comment so far from LSU has come from athletic director Joe Alleva, who said in a statement that the university was "in constant contact with law enforcement regarding this terrible situation."

"Right now, our concern is for the safety and well-being of our student-athletes," the statement said. "They have been involved in a traumatic incident and we have made our counselors available to assist immediately."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-lsu-player-kills-man-trying-rob-him-192731101--spt.html
No guns, never happens.

You are arguing with the wrong person. I have no issues with what they did.

That said... displayed and pulled are different.

Displayed means pointing to a gun. Like... give it to me i have a gun and showing it.
Pulling means taking from holster.

You cant just randomly change the two as people have in this post.

Displaying a gun does not warrant being shot even in stand your ground.

Now perhaps the first article was wrong. Not sure. But again pls dont change things to suit.

LdN

Reactions: Roar More
I never said it was not self defense. Brandishing a gun in close quarters seems to be the basic self-defense situation. But self defense only excuses the shooting, not any and all criminal conduct you did that day. Was the device theirs, or stolen? Was the gun legal under the local law?

Those considerations have nothing to do with the self defense claim. Perhaps there is nothing there, or perhaps there is something and we are not hearing it. Anyone who takes the media's rendition without question is making a mistake, most likely.

They were selling a used PS3/4 on Craigslist.

They are criminally cleared. You really aren’t smart.

You are arguing with the wrong person. I have no issues with what they did.

That said... displayed and pulled are different.

Displayed means pointing to a gun. Like... give it to me i have a gun and showing it.
Pulling means taking from holster.

You cant just randomly change the two as people have in this post.

Now perhaps the first article was wrong. Not sure. But again pls dont change things to suit.

LdN

Someone pulls a gun out during a robbery. You shoot. Kids did right.

Nate,
Here is the quote from the articles I've read. They are all the same so I assume they come from the same source.

"After Johnson displayed a weapon, one of the players pulled out a handgun and fired multiple times, police said."

Now, please show us where you read that the robber had a gun?

I hope some of you did some warm ups before all of this conclusion jumping, you might pull something otherwise you may pull something

Quite a few questions remain unanswered. But a legal expert said the case for self-defense is clear-cut.

“If you’re not doing anything wrong, and you’re legally carrying a gun and somebody pulls a gun on you, you have every right to pull a gun in response and fire it,” said Ken Levy, a professor of criminal law at LSU Law School.

State law allows a person to use proportional force when they reasonably believe that an unlawful attack is imminent, according to Levy. The key there is “proportional,” or equal, force.

“When somebody pulls a gun, that’s deadly force and, therefore, deadly force is proportional,” he said.

If this is true what is the big deal?? Shouldn’t matter if they are LSU players. If they were being robbed with a gun they had a right to defend themselves.
Oh, come on...what was the "electronic item" the kid was selling, where did he get it, and why was he packing heat??

`
Oh, come on...what was the "electronic item" the kid was selling, where did he get it, and why was he packing heat??
good questions-

1- we don't know
2- we don't know
3- we don't know

but some of us seem to have opinions- and those opinions don't weigh as much as a light breeze

`

good questions-

1- we don't know
2- we don't know
3- we don't know

but some of us seem to have opinions- and those opinions don't weigh as much as a light breeze

It’s been stated multiple times it was a PS3 game system

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT