ADVERTISEMENT

Political Polls

toobadface

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2007
Just curious, who here responds to political polls?

I responded to one once but it was probably 15 years ago and I gave the pollster complete bullshit answers. I was with friends watching football, and unfortunately answered the call. My friends and I passed around the phone and had fun with the pollster.

While I think that the number of dipshit responses, similar to what I've described above, is probably statistically negligible, I do wonder if there is disparity in terms of one party responding to polls compared to the other party.

I'm at a point where I no longer answer calls from numbers that I do not recognize. It isn't that I'm necessarily trying to avoid polling calls, I just don't want to waste my time talking to folks that I don't need to talk to. If I don't recognize the number, and I need to speak with him/her, he/she can leave a message. I guess I don't consider it a civic duty to respond to polls.

So, I guess my question is, if one party is more likely to respond to polls than the other (in terms of a two party general presidential election), how is that accounted for in the polling results? The polls in the last general presidential election were garbage and I don't think that I have ever heard a coherent explanation as why that was the case. One can argue that the polls were accurate when taken, but voters changed their minds at the last minute, but I just do not see this being the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.