ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should USWNT and USMNT both receive equal pay?

Should the US Womens National Soccer Team & the US Mens National Soccer Team both receive equal pay?

• Yes

Votes: 89 22.8%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 75 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 226 57.9%

• Total voters
It is so God damned sad a US Senator is pandering to the electorate in this fashion. It’s such an inconsequential issue. If this all he has to do than I can’t think of any reason the people of West Virginia need him representing them.
well if your other choice is Pat Morrisey, what else are you going to do? Write in a vote for Don Blankenship?

Reactions: BarryPSU
I believe I read the last men's world cup generated close to $6 billion. Of course the US men weren't in it but I hope that's not the angle the women are using. The Women's world cup was supposed to generate around $100 million. Tickets and people watching are your source of income. This feels like a silly argument, like whether the WNBA players should be paid as much as the NBA players. What am I missing?

The soccer labor market is global. There are figures going around that show that -- in the US --woman's soccer generates more revenue than men's. Okay, but on the world scale (where these teams compete for players) the two revenue streams not close to comparable. Maybe the women should be paid more than they are, but that has nothing to do with what men have to be paid to keep them on the US team, given that men's soccer globally is a far more profitable sport.

Should WNBA players also make what NBA players make? What about pro softball, maybe some of them should make what Bryce Harper makes?

I believe I read the last men's world cup generated close to $6 billion. Of course the US men weren't in it but I hope that's not the angle the women are using. The Women's world cup was supposed to generate around $100 million. Tickets and people watching are your source of income. This feels like a silly argument, like whether the WNBA players should be paid as much as the NBA players. What am I missing?

Let’s keep it even closer to home

I’m as big a PSU wrestling fan as you will find, and they have been arguably the most dominant team in american sports the last decade.... but I’d be crazy to think they should get equal funding to football.

Doesn’t make economical sense

Why should there be separate accounts for men’s and women’s World Cup. Make it one account and pay the athletes the same.

The soccer labor market is global. There are figures going around that show that -- in the US --woman's soccer generates more revenue than men's. Okay, but on the world scale (where these teams compete for players) the two revenue streams not close to comparable. Maybe the women should be paid more than they are, but that has nothing to do with what men have to be paid to keep them on the US team, given that men's soccer globally is a far more profitable sport.

Should WNBA players also make what NBA players make? What about pro softball, maybe some of them should make what Bryce Harper makes?

you are correct. it is a market based discussion and on a global scale. this is not US labor law issue. bringing it back to the US like it has something to do with our legal system is pure BS.

Let’s keep it even closer to home

I’m as big a PSU wrestling fan as you will find, and they have been arguably the most dominant team in american sports the last decade.... but I’d be crazy to think they should get equal funding to football.

Doesn’t make economical sense

At least half our population, the people Manchin is pandering to, has no interest in economics arguments. They care about “fairness” and “justice.” Of course those concepts to them means discriminating in socially acceptable ways.

Why should there be separate accounts for men’s and women’s World Cup. Make it one account and pay the athletes the same.
Should we do that with every sport? Women’s pro hockey players should make the same as NHL players? Lingerie football players get NFL salaries? NBA combine the revenue stream with WNBA and pay them all the same?

Why should we care what the men's world cup generated globally? I mean this seriously. I have no idea who even pays the team's salary. In the USA, the last men's world cup final between France and Croatia drew 11.3 million American viewers. The women's world cup final just drew 14.3 million US viewers.

Why should we care what the men's world cup generated globally? I mean this seriously. I have no idea who even pays the team's salary. In the USA, the last men's world cup final between France and Croatia drew 11.3 million American viewers. The women's world cup final just drew 14.3 million US viewers.

KnightSlayer was obviously not a business major.

Reactions: bmw199 and psu7113
Americans love to watch a winner, and France-Croatia wasn’t a draw here.

8.8 million just watched the US-Mexico at 9pm on a cable network/Spanish channel on Sunday night. In the apples to apples comparison, less than a million watched the US Women beat Canada in the CONCACAF Championship in 2018.

It is appropriate, that the US compensation for its national teams are equal if that is government policy supported by the majority of its citizens. However, it is not appropriate that we insist FIFA, where the majority of the money paid to the team members comes from, or sponsors provide equal compensation. As I voted, it is complicated.

It is so God damned sad a US Senator is pandering to the electorate in this fashion. It’s such an inconsequential issue. If this all he has to do than I can’t think of any reason the people of West Virginia need him representing them.

As opposed to any other politician who does not pander to the electorate? Because - they all successfully get re-elected.

No. In fact, the men should be paid more in order to attract young athletes to the sport. Nowadays boys dream of fame and fortune while playing football, basketball, or baseball. Maybe if they think they can get rich playing soccer they'll play that instead.

Yeah, I know. I'm a horrible person. Don't care.

If the womens team generate as much money as the mens team, sure. If not, not.

I don't make as much as someone who works at google in my same position.
Why? Because they make way more revenue than my company makes. It is pretty simple.

The Men's U19 would beat every Women's World Cup Team. Period. The 34th ranked Thailand Women's Team lost 13-0 to the US...the Men's 34th ranked Serbia Team lost to Brazil 2-0 , tied Romania 2-2 and beat Lithuania 1-0 in the 2018 Men's WC. The competition levels are just very different. This is not to take anything away from the women because they are incredibly talented ..gifted and the best in the World ! But...to try and compare the men vs the women is just...more political grandstanding .

The obvious answer is OF COURSE they should and currently, the men are getting less than the women.
While the women players in the World cup get 13% of revenues, the men only get 9%.
Of course, the men's WC generates $400M in revenues, while the women's generates $33M. I'm so sick of the ridiculous pay disparity nonsense that is continually pushed despite being debunked over and over. These women better be careful b/c there is a serious chance that they get a pay decrease if they get their way.

EDIT: The $400M and $33M are the amounts distributed to the players. The Revenue estimates are something like $6B and $130M respectively.

Last edited:
I'm all for equal pay depending on the facts. If US Soccer is getting taxpayer money in one form or another such as facility rights, then Yes, equal pay.
But, if that organization wants to be private, then No, each should survive on their own revenue.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT