ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Your Top Three All-time Best/Most Iconic Rock Lead Singer/Frontmen?

Best All Time Rock Lead Singer/Frontman!

• Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin

Votes: 80 40.2%
  • Freddy Mercury, Queen

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Bono, U2

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Axl Rose, Guns N Roses

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jim Morrison, The Doors

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones

Votes: 91 45.7%
  • Roger Daltrey, The Who

Votes: 49 24.6%
  • Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Grohl doesn't and never has achieved the fame of most of the others. Sure among fans on Reddit he's huge but the Foo Fighters aren't mainstream nor are they huge.

In your "recent" list you forgot Coldplay who is infinitely bigger than the Foo Fighters. Again, Grohl compared with Chris Martin... not close. And Chris Martin I don't put in the same category as those above.

Would you consider Coldplay a 'rock' band? They're sort of Radiohead-lite, and Radiohead *could* be considered rock, but in my book they're probably the most pure form of alternative music bands (save their debut album, which was very, very rock I think).

Would you consider Coldplay a 'rock' band? They're sort of Radiohead-lite, and Radiohead *could* be considered rock, but in my book they're probably the most pure form of alternative music bands (save their debut album, which was very, very rock I think).

Agreed. Although it wasn't explicitly stated, I got the vibe that this poll is about classic rock (which includes the Foo Fighters at this stage of their careers). If we are going to include metal, punk, alternative, etc. then there are numerous front men who, in my opinion, would blow away some of the guys on this list. In that case, you might even have to consider G.G. Allin! (Don't Google him unless you are alone and at home.)

My comment on Coldplay was in response to a post where they mentioned Radiohead. So yes they are Radiohead like.
I didn't mean Coldplay should be in this poll.

LdN

She probably doesn't fit the OP's original criteria because her band isn't famous enough, but Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs has as great a stage presence of any rock singer I've ever seen.
Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine is also quite impressive. I'm peeved they are playing ACL Festival in Austin but only on the 2nd weekend, when I have tickets to weekend 1. From what I've seen online their live shows are a must see.

Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine is also quite impressive. I'm peeved they are playing ACL Festival in Austin but only on the 2nd weekend, when I have tickets to weekend 1. From what I've seen online their live shows are a must see.

She's amazing - love her. Awesome set of pipes and great legs ;). Her new album is fantastic!

3583171_florence.jpg

In your "recent" list you forgot Coldplay who is infinitely bigger than the Foo Fighters. Again, Grohl compared with Chris Martin... not close. And Chris Martin I don't put in the same category as those above.

Just because you make crappy music and sell a lot of records doesn't make you a great lead singer. Case in point, nickleback has sold a ton of albums.

Just because you make crappy music and sell a lot of records doesn't make you a great lead singer. Case in point, nickleback has sold a ton of albums.

Bigger mystery than millions of Nickelback fans is why Avril Lavigne would marry their lead singer, Chad Kroeger...

1380_avril-joygasm-avril-lavigne-bikini-bikini-852822512.jpg

Cobain was the last great rock star, in a way that was unique, and there will never be anything like it again. His three person band showed up out of nowhere, literally, and they were awesome. The media tends to pump it up into something that it wasn't - like some kind of generational movement. But his music was not a statement of anything besides the fact that he made the coolest music of anybody, and it still sounds unique to this day. In Utero was the denouement of rock albums. And he was like the "burnout" who made it, and it was hard not to sort of pull for them. I watched the documentary of his life on HBO, and while I didn't totally buy all of it (i.e. the director seemed to assume stories in his journal were completely true), it does seem like he probably had some sort of mental illness. The fascinating thing about Nirvana was you had Cobain and Grohl as two out of three people in the same band. And the third person was Novoselic, who is one of the all-time memorable bass players. It really was amazing and short-lived.

Axl Rose, who was big around the same time, was the other last great rock star. Although he is generally portrayed as a total ass, I think he was also some sort of musical genius and probably crazy. The worst thing about that band was that they did not make more albums. After Use Your Illusion, he bizarrely took 17 years to make a follow-up album using ever-changing lineups.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Layne Staley: Alice in chains.

Do yourself a favor and listen to any of their songs, then listen to a band he was with towards the end of his life: Mad Season.

Love Layne Staley, but like most alternative acts in the 90's, he was another front man who didn't want to stand out and was content to 'blend' in with the rest of his band.

Reactions: massimoManca II
Extremely hard to whittle this list down to 9 (left one space for write in's), and I focused a lot on the 'legendary' acts (with a few controversial contemporary ones thrown in for color). Hard to compare eras, but whatever - write in whomever you want. Also, this isn't limited to best singer/voice; think charisma, celebrity, etc. Hope this is fun for everyone and look forward to a LOT of write-in's....Also, everyone can vote for three, so should hopefully make for a bit of variety in the answers.

CAVEAT: I did not put Paul McCartney or John Lennon on this poll because both fronted The Beatles for the most part and they started out as a pop band. Still, write in if you like.

1. Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin

55-16740-led-zeppelin-at-the-forum-1401381021.jpg

2. Freddy Mercury, Queen

img976.jpg

3. Bono, U2

bono.jpg

4. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses

youngaxl.jpg

5. Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters

Dave-Grohl.jpg

6. Jim Morrison, The Doors

rVBxy.jpg

7. Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones

article-0-005B261F00000258-826_306x538.jpg

8. Roger Daltrey, The Who

9. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

kurtcobain_qingdao2011.jpg
Plant, Mercury, Jagger

I don't think anyone mentioned Paul Rodgers....Front man for Bad Company. Rolling Stone listed him as one of the best rock vocalist of all time.

On another note, this poll was really interesting because it exposes everyone's age.

On another note, this poll was really interesting because it exposes everyone's age.

Yes, it does. My top three were all from what I consider in my mind to be my era, even though I only picked one. Really points out that these polls should be entitled, "name the ... you think is the best ... because you like that ... the best. Usually someone whose style really resonates with you at a certain time in your life. For most of us the time that we had the luxury of listening to music for hours at a time. I chose Robert Plant and I can hear my mother saying, "James, do you really have to play that music that loud?" while Led Zeppelin was hammering through the tune "Rock and Roll" in my custom listening area.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
He's pretty self-effacing about the whole thing too.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...ncorrectly-named-greatest-singer-of-all-time/

Good stuff from Axl:

"From what I could tell, the original article was for the most part only talking about the professionally recorded vocal range of the singers they compared calling the entire group “The World’s Greatest Singers.” It’s very flattering and humbling to be included in such an illustrious ensemble.

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70’s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!"

Looks like this list was updated not long after the initial 'vocal range poll' - and there's a new rock music vocal range champ! None other than Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas)! And it's by a decent margin. I guess the previous 'range poll' was pretty specific in terms of criteria (if somewhat arbitrary - had to be on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Vocalists List, and/or be nominated for a Grammy the year of the poll....). Patton is awesome and totally underrated IMO as a frontman.

omlQen2h.jpg

Link to full article here:
https://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/05/digging-deeper-axl-rose-is-not-singer.html

We found that Axl Rose is still a formidable force, but he is not the artist with the biggest vocal range. He drops to number 2 on our list behind Mike Patton of Faith No More who was the only singer we found with a range greater than six octaves.

Here is brand new list of the vocalists with the largest range, limited to those with 4 octaves or more.

• 6 octaves, 1/2 note
    • Mike Patton (Eb1 to E7)
  • 5 octaves, 5-1/2 notes
    • Corey Taylor (Eb1 to C7)
  • 5 octaves, 4-1/2 notes
    • Diamanda Galás (F2 to C#8)
  • 5 octaves, 3 notes
    • David Lee Roth (E1 to A6)
  • 5 octaves, 2-1/2 notes
    • Axl Rose (F1 to Bb6)
  • 5 octaves, 2 notes
    • Rody Walker (G1 to B6)
  • 5 octaves, 1 note
    • Nina Hagen (G#1 to Bb6)
  • 5 octaves, 1/2 notes
    • Ville Valo (C1 to C#6)
  • 4 octaves, 6-1/2 notes
    • Roger Waters (B1 to Bb6)
    • Mariah Carey (G#2 to G7)
  • 4 octaves, 5-1/2 notes
    • Kyo (F#1 to E6)
    • Devin Townsend (C2 to Bb6)
  • 4 octaves, 5 notes
    • Paul McCartney (A1 to F6)
  • 4 octaves, 4 notes
    • Dan Swano (D1 to A5)
    • Jonathan Davis (A1 to E6)
    • Prince (E2 to B6)

In the last 30 years it was Axl Rose and Kurt Cobain. There has not been anybody since who would be a contender.

Mercury, Morrison and Jagger. Just stop pretending with anyone else.

Jagger is the greatest front man ever but isn't a great muscian. U2 is all about bono. The reason that band can still play football stadiums. I then went with Roger over Plant and Mercury.

Axl is tough but I don't think he did enough to be in this conversation . Same thing with Cobain.

Vedder deserves to be on this list easily over Axl, Cobain and Grohl.

If muscianship counts alot than you need Jimi and Phil Collins. (Unless you count Jimi as solo)

Also IMO Steven Tyler, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello and Neil Young , i understand if for this discussion the latter three are individuals, are better front men then Axl, Cobain and maybe Grohl (btw I love the Foo fighters and can't wait to see them in Sept).....I would take all of them over Morrison who I think is the most overrated front guy ever other than Morrissey of course
I disagree on your take of Jagger. He may not be a great physical player of musical instruments, but the man revolutionized the blues-rock singing technique and is an all-time great songwriter.

Co-shared greatest frontmen based on this clip alone. Zappa and Terry Bozzio. On serious note, Zappa did possess an amazing blend of stage presence, showmanship and musicianship so he does belong in discussion.

In the last 30 years it was Axl Rose and Kurt Cobain. There has not been anybody since who would be a contender.

Both were definitely big time frontmen. I’m not sure exactly where Vedder measures up in this, but he has certainly sustained for a much longer time than they have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT