ADVERTISEMENT

Poor TV ratings for the Rose Bowl

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
This has to be associated with several things. One is that it was two lower-ranked teams. Some have to be associated with Utah, not a traditional national power, but they had much better ratings last year. The second is that it was played on Jan 2nd, and not the first. It was also after football overload in NFL, college playoffs and all of the other bowls.

Regardless, it only had 10.2 million viewers. Contrast that to last year's 16.6m.

TV ratings are going to be part of the cfp selections next year so this is going to be terrible for us 🤪

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
This has to be associated with several things. One is that it was two lower-ranked teams. Some have to be associated with Utah, not a traditional national power, but they had much better ratings last year. The second is that it was played on Jan 2nd, and not the first. It was also after football overload in NFL, college playoffs and all of the other bowls.

Regardless, it only had 10.2 million viewers. Contrast that to last year's 16.6m.

It was the highest rated non playoff game.

It was the highest rated non playoff game.
...and it not being on one of the major networks is an issue as well. It was only on ESPN and not NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX. Lots of people don't get cable TV anymore and couldn't watch it. My son, for example, went back to using an antenna to get the four major networks and gets streaming services from Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Honestly, the CFP pretty much cemented that lack of interest in exhibition games played over the holidays.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
Honestly, the CFP pretty much cemented that lack of interest in exhibition games played over the holidays.
Queue the jackals who will now call you names and say this year's Rose Bowl was an important and meaningful game for CFB

...and it not being on one of the major networks is an issue as well. It was only on ESPN and not NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX. Lots of people don't get cable TV anymore and couldn't watch it. My son, for example, went back to using an antenna to get the four major networks and gets streaming services from Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Pretty much every college football bowl is on ESPN and not on network TV, including the playoff games. And the Rose Bowl has been on ESPN for over a decade now.

In general, the subject title is wrong though. The rating were the lowest ever for the Rose Bowl, but highest for any non-playoff bowl game this year, so they were still quite strong. It's just the Rose in particular tends to bring in massive ratings.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Queue the jackals who will now call you names and say this year's Rose Bowl was an important and meaningful game for CFB
Waiting for those that state I'm the only one that claims this when most understand it. They just don't want attacked but the people stuck in the 80s

I agree. I was going to make that point but last years game was also on espn.

When Monday Night football went to cable the ratings dropped and the Sunday night game then became the prime time game. One third of people did not have cable at that time.

as pointed out, it was the highest rated non CPF bowl. the fact it had lower ratings then previous years is not about the Rose Bowl but all bowls in general. I think another HUGE reason was the game was on Jan 2. I know some schools and many businesses were open on Monday and did not call it a holiday which certainly had an effect on things.

as pointed out, it was the highest rated non CPF bowl. the fact it had lower ratings then previous years is not about the Rose Bowl but all bowls in general. I think another HUGE reason was the game was on Jan 2. I know some schools and many businesses were open on Monday and did not call it a holiday which certainly had an effect on things.

I had read that Jan 2 Rose Bowl games (i.e. Mondays that are not New Years) have generally had lower ratings than the typical Jan 1 date. Some people not being off work likely did play a role.

Still, describing this as "poor ratings" when it had the highest rating of all the non-CFB bowls is... odd.

It was also the third most watched bowl game.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Saying the ratings were low isn't a shot at Penn State or Utah...it just is likely where the bowls are headed. And Jan 2nd isn't a big deal. It was still the observed holiday

I had read that Jan 2 Rose Bowl games (i.e. Mondays that are not New Years) have generally had lower ratings than the typical Jan 1 date. Some people not being off work likely did play a role.

Still, describing this as "poor ratings" when it had the highest rating of all the non-CFB bowls is... odd.
next headline we will see is the following:

Utah plays great Rose Bowl and finishes in second place, PSU a disappointing next to last.

I think there are 2 major reasons:
  1. Utah is not as big of a national draw as teams like UCLA or USC.
  2. The game was on a work night (for many) after a day full of major bowls on Saturday and NFL games on Sunday.

2. The game was on a work night (for many) after a day full of major bowls on Saturday and NFL games on Sunday.
Yeah, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Montana…… all with tiny populations. No fan base around the area.

2PM is a weak time slot. And a few million were at the parade by 6 AM and when home to sleep.

And everyone knew ‘da Utes didn’t have a chance!

By major bowls games you mean two great playoff games...

I might add that, unlike some of the other major bowl games, there was very little suspense in this Rose Bowl. Especially after Rising got hurt. And I'm OK with that. :cool: :cool:

Reactions: WaylonJ
All I know….and it may be a reflection on me….is that most of my friends here in South Carolina are Georgia, USC, and Clemson fans….everyone was happy and congratulated me on the win… most said they stopped at 28-14….blowouts don’t keep interest

Waiting for those that state I'm the only one that claims this when most understand it. They just don't want attacked but the people stuck in the 80s

OK, let's go back to the 80's. The 1988 Rose Bowl featured #8 Michigan State 8-2-1 against #16 USC 9-3. Was this game meaningless? No starters sat out to get ready for the NFL, but neither team had a chance to end up #1.

Who is working on the observed holiday? Same people that would have worked on the first
Outside of the government workers most of the people here in Maryland did have to go back to work on Monday. About half of our school systems also had a class then. Many friends in Pennsylvania had school on Monday and had to go work. I would assume nationally it’s at least the same percentage.

OK, let's go back to the 80's. The 1988 Rose Bowl featured #8 Michigan State 8-2-1 against #16 USC 9-3. Was this game meaningless? No starters sat out to get ready for the NFL, but neither team had a chance to end up #1.
There wasn't a playoff so we accepted the bowls as meaningful then. There wasn't another goal.

Outside of the government workers most of the people here in Maryland did have to go back to work on Monday. About half of our school systems also had a class then. Many friends in Pennsylvania had school on Monday and had to go work. I would assume nationally it’s at least the same percentage.
I don't know a single person who worked on Monday and most schools went back on Wednesday. What day do you believe was the observed holiday for these people?

And if you're talking low level jobs I already said the same people who would work on the first.

I don't know a single person who worked on Monday and most schools went back on Wednesday. What day do you believe was the observed holiday for these people?

And if you're talking low level jobs I already said the same people who would work on the first.

Teachers in Southwest Virginia had a work day Monday (students returned on Tuesday).

It's still not identifying the issues.

1. Ratings are down in general for a lot of television.

2. It wasn't a playoff, therefore national interest isn't as high.

3. A 6 million drop from last year to this year indicates either OSU bring about double the eyes as PSU or the way Ratings are calculated is flawed. I don't know that Neilson accounts for all the streaming, particularly the people who watched but don't pay for the account.

4. What were the playoff game ratings? Did OSU/UGA beat TCU/Michigan by 6 million or more? (I don't have the info)

5. If the Rose Bowl was the highest rated game of the bowl season (not including playoff games), where are the articles talking about the others being down? Or is this an anomaly with the Rose?

If you’re going to lie, don’t lie and say they went back Wednesday. Say they went back Tuesday, which is when the schools that did not go back on Monday started. I’ll stick with my statement from above. Probably half the country was working on Monday.

If you’re going to lie, don’t lie and say they went back Wednesday. Say they went back Tuesday, which is when the schools that did not go back on Monday started. I’ll stick with my statement from above. Probably half the country was working on Monday.
My kids went back Wednesday.
There's no way half the country was working on Monday. It was literally the observed holiday. And "white collar job" had off.

Put the ass on ignore.

I might add that, unlike some of the other major bowl games, there was very little suspense in this Rose Bowl. Especially after Rising got hurt. And I'm OK with that. :cool: :cool:
even UTAH you tube sites were surprised at the physical nature of penn state. Prior to the game the consensus was that UTAH would "out physical" PSU.
After the game, the "experts" were surprised at PSUs big plays - apparently UTAH had given up few this year- and came to the conclusion that even if Rising would have continued in the game, penn state would have won

Saying the ratings were low isn't a shot at Penn State or Utah...it just is likely where the bowls are headed. And Jan 2nd isn't a big deal. It was still the observed holiday
Not everywhere was it a Holiday. My youngest daughter has school. Luckily she was in Section 13L with me!

even UTAH you tube sites were surprised at the physical nature of penn state. Prior to the game the consensus was that UTAH would "out physical" PSU.
After the game, the "experts" were surprised at PSUs big plays - apparently UTAH had given up few this year- and came to the conclusion that even if Rising would have continued in the game, penn state would have won
I was surprised that Utah's run game was not better. They had this reputation for having a big, strong OL. Their TE (a former Aussie rugby player, if memory serves me correctly) was impressive, but the rest of the OL did not look like all that. I'm wondering if one or more of their offensive linemen sat out the game. I did not keep track of the opt outs, so I suppose it's possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT