ADVERTISEMENT

Possible wrestling season schedule changes?

At the end of the linked article is a copy of the 5 year strategic plan. An interesting read with their specific proposals to date and the factoids they present to back up the ideas.

One thing that continues to frustrate me (and Chief too) is the University of Arizona without a program: The rivalry with ASU is so great in all sports, and the Cats would put a good team on the mat, with the right people at the helm.

Downside for me would be the weather for traveling to the duals at Rec with the season then pushed back. ALL of those would then be in the dead middle of winter prior to postseason tournament season .that's just what I thought about, other thoughts? I like the idea though of not battling March Madness to gain additional viewers.

One thing that continues to frustrate me (and Chief too) is the University of Arizona without a program: The rivalry with ASU is so great in all sports, and the Cats would put a good team on the mat, with the right people at the helm.

What does this have to do with Wildcats wrestling or lack of it? #confused

FWIW, there's also been some discussion (from fans and columnists) about moving the college basketball season and making it a 2nd semester sport. Factors there are the overall length of the season and that early season basketball games are being buried by football interest.

Obviously, we would hope that there be some coordination between sports if both wrestling and basketball are considering changes.

FWIW, there's also been some discussion (from fans and columnists) about moving the college basketball season and making it a 2nd semester sport. Factors there are the overall length of the season and that early season basketball games are being buried by football interest.

Obviously, we would hope that there be some coordination between sports if both wrestling and basketball are considering changes.

Basketball has become a "hotshot" sport. They need to enforce the rules i.e. fouls, traveling and for petesake raise the net 2 feet.

Nothing worse than setting down in my easychair in anticipation of a good dual and having the BB "game" running long then watch 15 minutes of chest thumping and fouls before the match starts. If I have to watch it later I have to tape the match with an extra hour to make sure I don't miss the last matches.

Reactions: JimNazium
Admitting our beloved sports short comings is a long time coming.

The Olympics snafu really has people engaged it seems. The lemonade really is tasting good these days.

Admitting our beloved sports short comings is a long time coming.

The Olympics snafu really has people engaged it seems. The lemonade really is tasting good these days.
Apparently not just the lemonade ...

From the article:
"We were at the national championships in Oklahoma City two years ago and USA Today's sports section – the day before the tournament started – had a little blurb that talked about how much beer they expected to be consumed in Oklahoma City for the NCAA wrestling championship,” Fallis said.

...years ago there was talk of moving the season backward to have the finals in February, again away from March Madness...
...this makes much more sense - having the NCAAs in April - warmer weather is far better when you're waiting outside for the doors to open...

This potentially hurts the ability to compete in certain FS/GR tournaments/Trials for the college guys. Hard to peak or semi-peak twice in that slot of time.

I have been hoping for years that they would move the schedule back by a month. It helps in so many ways. More potential arenas, away from the end of the high school season, etc.

At the end of the linked article is a copy of the 5 year strategic plan. An interesting read with their specific proposals to date and the factoids they present to back up the ideas.

Wow, I just read thru that quickly. The way I read the below strategy is the NCAA is proposing a Dual Team Championship at the end of the dual season. Look also at the tentative calendar at the end and the yellow for March 17-19 looks like that would be when it would occur. Interesting because it has been assumed by me (and pretty much everyone else) that the NCAA would never sponsor 2 separate championships. Of course, I may just be reading things that aren't there

Strategies: Establish a defined Dual Team Championship Season.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Wow, I just read thru that quickly. The way I read the below strategy is the NCAA is proposing a Dual Team Championship at the end of the dual season. Look also at the tentative calendar at the end and the yellow for March 17-19 looks like that would be when it would occur. Interesting because it has been assumed by me (and pretty much everyone else) that the NCAA would never sponsor 2 separate championships. Of course, I may just be reading things that aren't there

Strategies: Establish a defined Dual Team Championship Season.
I did not notice that an extra set of yellow squares was added two weeks prior to conference championships, although without a doubt anything the NWCA presents is going to have the stench of a dual championship about it. The only thing that raised by eyebrows was the section where they comment that they want dual meets to be more meaningful and that fans want events that last two hours or less. So looks to me as if they are trying the demographics angle to push for shorter competitions, i.e. meets versus tourneys, and the 'alignment' with other sports angle.

I did not notice that an extra set of yellow squares was added two weeks prior to conference championships, although without a doubt anything the NWCA presents is going to have the stench of a dual championship about it. The only thing that raised by eyebrows was the section where they comment that they want dual meets to be more meaningful and that fans want events that last two hours or less. So looks to me as if they are trying the demographics angle to push for shorter competitions, i.e. meets versus tourneys, and the 'alignment' with other sports angle.

The problem with the bolded part which is always part of the argument for a Duals Championship instead of individual is that a Dual Tournament would be a LOT longer than 2 hours. The old National Duals format was a 2 day tournament without about 8 hours of wrestling each day.

The problem with the bolded part which is always part of the argument for a Duals Championship instead of individual is that a Dual Tournament would be a LOT longer than 2 hours. The old National Duals format was a 2 day tournament without about 8 hours of wrestling each day.

Not if they keep it in present form of a BCS style. People make a lot of money off beauty pageants.

Curious how this affects the city-bids that are now being received for 2019 through 2022 Championships. I know the cities base proposals on specific weeks, as they book events years in advance. Yet in the article it stated in a perfect world this could be done in 2019. I just don't see it happening that fast. Maybe by 2023...if they start now. I'm not making any judgment for or against, just the practicality of jerking these cities around, given the effort that goes into these bids.

Count me as anti Dual Championship. Two team champions is stupid and and there's a decent chance Team A > Team B, B > C but C > A based on matchups

That needs to be played over a megaphone. Nearly every proposal I've seen suggests that the best way to promote wrestling is in the dual meet because of its shorter time span (which is obvious to nearly every college coach in the country), but undercuts that argument by suggesting events be "Mardi Gras" of duals.

That needs to be played over a megaphone. Nearly every proposal I've seen suggests that the best way to promote wrestling is in the dual meet because of its shorter time span (which is obvious to nearly every college coach in the country), but undercuts that argument by suggesting events be "Mardi Gras" of duals.
That's what happens when you try to do too much with too little. Two main problems as I see it. One is trying to use duals as the defining event. However, there is way too much disparity among dual meet teams. It is extremely rare for any team outside the top 5 to beat the #1 or #2 teams. Happens in football and basketball all the time but not wrestling. Two, how many fans are there out there that are so rabid for the sport that they'll watch Nebraska-ISU on TV or travel to the event? Outside the schools' fans, very, very few.

Last edited:
Are there even 10,000 people out there right now that would watch a dual championship that didn't have their team participating? In any given week in the heart of the season and excluding Iowa and PSU, how many people attend college duals? 10-12,000 tops?? Probably not much more than that, and they went to a match specifically to see their team most likely. Chances are they won't get overly excited about a dual championship because if you aren't in the top 3 to 4 schools, no need to show up. I guess the point I'm making is this a mountain or a molehill that we're getting passionate about? Seems to me that we have a niche sport that is best grown organically from the bottom up at the youth level, but the leadership of the sport is unwilling to put in the time and effort to plan and attack that issue, and instead put a band-aid on a knife wound.

Last edited:
Reactions: a_mshaffer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT