ADVERTISEMENT

Post your predictions for Hack this season

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
given his stats for the last 2 years, the release of the sanctions, the maturation and imporved health of key receivers, and the improvements to the O line . . . what are your predictions for Hack this year??

I'm gonna say . . . 3500 yds, 25 TDs, 8 INTs

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2014 270 484 2977 55.8 6.15 79 12 15 44 109.4 31.8 35.7
2013 231 392 2955 58.9 7.54 68 20 10 21 134.0 56.6 56.6

I expect massive improvement

3600 yards, 67%, 28 TDs, 8 INT

Is the line going to be better? I am unconvinced.

We lost two good players and the kids we are counting on are untested. And that will be the key. we will have a good RB tandem, good WR's and excellent TE's. Hack will have a full year in the system, under his belt. All of those things are positive.
However, I fail to see the optimism over the offensive line. Somebody school me on this!

window-ledge-friendship-ecard-someecards.jpg

Smith coming back would have given me a lot of hope for the 2015 OL

Its still possible for the OL to be improved this year, but it would rely on someone coming out of nowhere (redshirt, incoming player) and that isn't likely. Maybe there is a chance that the more experienced skill people will take some pressure off of Hack, but I'm still worried about him getting 30 plus sacks this year.

Agree

Our OL was pretty bad last year and we lose the two best players we had. Smith is an NFL prospect. What does that say about the rest of the guys? I think they will be better this year but I expect the OL to remain weakness. I don't expect a freshman to make much of an impact. Overall I expect a similar OL to last year.

Hackenberg should be better. I hope the WRs do a better job blocking and getting separation. We should be better at RB as long as Lynch stays healthy. One of the freshmen RBs should be able to make an impact with his speed but young players aren't known for their blocking.

I expect Hack to have a year similar to his freshman year. Just under 60% completions and a 2-1 TD to INT ratio.

Re: Is the line going to be better? I am unconvinced.

Originally posted by Obliviax:
We lost two good players and the kids we are counting on are untested. And that will be the key. we will have a good RB tandem, good WR's and excellent TE's. Hack will have a full year in the system, under his belt. All of those things are positive.
However, I fail to see the optimism over the offensive line. Somebody school me on this!

ec
STEP BACK FROM THE LEDGE! Look, the line will be improved. Depth alone will help. That creates competition. Competition makes guys better. It won't be our '94 line, but I think it will be good enough to get the job done. Take your cue from the coaches who are a lot more upbeat about the o-line right now than they were last year.

The argument, and it's not a bad one, is that the OL will be better by default -- it can hardly get worse. It's not really accurate to say we're losing two good players, given the unavailability of Dieffenbach during virtually the entire season last year. In fact, we're losing one starter from last year, Smith. All the other starters are coming back, and they appear to have strengthened up and put on good weight over the winter. And obviously they will have a full year of experience under their belt. There are several RS frosh (including Sorrell, Beh and Wright) coming into the picture who are very highly regarded. There are two highly-regarded transfers with significant college experience joining the team, one of whom (Palmer) seems very likely to add quality depth, and possibly win a starting position. None of this guarantees a top-tier OL for 2015, but it certainly warrants optimism going into the season.

Having another year like 2013 would be fantastic...

Where do I sign up for that option?

Re: Agree

Originally posted by bdgan:
Our OL was pretty bad last year and we lose the two best players we had. Smith is an NFL prospect. What does that say about the rest of the guys? I think they will be better this year but I expect the OL to remain weakness. I don't expect a freshman to make much of an impact. Overall I expect a similar OL to last year.

Hackenberg should be better. I hope the WRs do a better job blocking and getting separation. We should be better at RB as long as Lynch stays healthy. One of the freshmen RBs should be able to make an impact with his speed but young players aren't known for their blocking.

I expect Hack to have a year similar to his freshman year. Just under 60% completions and a 2-1 TD to INT ratio.
I really don't agree. I believe Hack will have a breakout year this year because the o-line WILL be better than you guys think.

Originally posted by lobo lion:
The argument, and it's not a bad one, is that the OL will be better by default -- it can hardly get worse. It's not really accurate to say we're losing two good players, given the unavailability of Dieffenbach during virtually the entire season last year. In fact, we're losing one starter from last year, Smith. All the other starters are coming back, and they appear to have strengthened up and put on good weight over the winter. And obviously they will have a full year of experience under their belt. There are several RS frosh (including Sorrell, Beh and Wright) coming into the picture who are very highly regarded. There are two highly-regarded transfers with significant college experience joining the team, one of whom (Palmer) seems very likely to add quality depth, and possibly win a starting position. None of this guarantees a top-tier OL for 2015, but it certainly warrants optimism going into the season.
Well said.

Totally agree... Think we are all going to be in for a big surprise with this upcoming season.

Frankly... The schedule will certainly help within our first 6 games.

But depth... More experience and at least 1 full year learning a new system... New coaches and everything that goes with it... Can never under estimate the difficulties learning under a brand new staff especially with such a young and inexperienced team like we had.

I mean think about it... A true sophmore was one of our Captains ... Nothing against Hack whom I love but that's a hell of a responsibility to put on a 19 year old.

It's so disingenuous to say we lost our two best OL from 2014. Dieffenbach didn't even play until the 9th game, and probably played between 10 and 15 quarters of football. I don't expect the OL to be a strength in 2015, but it's possible that it will be. I also don't expect it to be a glaring weakness, and I definitely don't think it will be similar to the disaster that was 2014.

I dont consider Diffenbach a loss this year, he was lost last year

So we're replacing Smith, who is very talented but was hardly a standout performer. I think Palmer can perform at a similar level along with the improvement from the other 4

I am unsure.

There were issues last year with personnel but I am still trying to figure out what Franklin wants to do on offense.

I will be interested to see what year 2 looks like.

Thanks '81.

What is interesting, to me, is that either there is no reason to believe the line will be better (what is there to go on?) or that the coaches redshirted guys last year that we really could have used. Tanked? Maybe. CJF was on his honeymoon year and wouldn't have been fired for going 0-12 with only 40-something players.

Regardless, I look forward to 2015 and think it will be more successful than 2014.

Hack and the OL will also have a very favorable NC schedule...

to open the season. That will help a lot. They'll get Temple (Away), Buffalo (Home), Rutgers (Home), SDSU (Home), Army (Home), and Indiana (Home) before having to travel to tOSU.

The improvement I saw in the o-line in the bowl game compared to the say Illinois game (I don't think they we're a train wreck against MSU either) is enough to give me hope. Add to that the influx of new bodies and the greater competition and I'm betting that Hack will have a clean enough pocket to have a very productive year. I also say our backfield combines for north of 2,000 yards.

Regular season predictions
Yards: 3,296
TDs: 31
INTs: 11
Comp%: 63%
Sacks:

agree, the OL will be hard pressed to be much better. the middle 3 positions on the OL were extremely soft. I see Nelson and Palmer (if he turns out to be as good as folks think) holding down OT spots.

The G-C-G trio were very weak last year, and those players were JR level last year (ignore RS for this purpose). it would not surprise me that the G-C-G this year will be completely new names (or possibly Mangiro moves to G).

Given that OL uncertainty, I think Hack has similar stats to FR year. a little better than 2014, but not explosive year.

I think he still opts for the draft, since pro QBs are short these days coming out of CFB. probably winds up getting drafted by one of the perennial early round teams (i.e. Cleveland).

Originally posted by simons96:

given his stats for the last 2 years, the release of the sanctions, the maturation and imporved health of key receivers, and the improvements to the O line . . . what are your predictions for Hack this year??

I'm gonna say . . . 3500 yds, 25 TDs, 8 INTs

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2014 270 484 2977 55.8 6.15 79 12 15 44 109.4 31.8 35.7
2013 231 392 2955 58.9 7.54 68 20 10 21 134.0 56.6 56.6
3600 yds passing 27 td's 10 picks and at least two game winning last drive comebacks. Offensive Line will be 20x better this year

so let me get this straight, he isn't transferring ?????

I thought a friend's friend of a friend of some posters here said that was a done deal?
smokin.r191677.gif

Re: so let me get this straight, he isn't transferring ?????

the Hackenberg camp considered their options.. they inquired around some programs, these inquiries were not necessarily directly from the Hackenberg camp, they expressed some frustrations at the Franklin system.. they were looking to see if there might be a better fit somewhere else - better system to suit Hack plus a hole at the position, there wasn't, he's back. my source has nothing to do with psu.

+ 1000!

The two leaving combined for roughly 1 season's worth of playing time between them. Everyone left has more experience now and an additional offseason to prepare. Plus there is now depth at the position.

Running game soul be much improved with Brenneman (sp?) back and hopefully better blocking from the TE position. No more committee at the RB position and hopefully more of a N->S approach as opposed to seeing guys wander behind blockers which were often stood-up on the wrong side of the los.

Combine this with some serious talent / depth / speed developing at receiver, and there is good reason to be optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT