ADVERTISEMENT

Powerade is packed like usual

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Not through everything but No Benton Tigers seeded. Big mistake, we will have a few spoilers coming. Lots of out of state kids seeded. You are coming to PA, there will be many upsets. When did they start seeding 9th graders. I thought they were big on making them earn it the first year in. I understand why but didn’t realize they made that change. Wish I had a job I could make it. Who can be there during the week, I am not jealous. Yes I am.

A few quick notes..

112-Bassett seeded 1. Gill #2.
121- May get to see the next round of Lillendahl vs. Jax Forrest. Nasedeo seeded 7.
127-No Gibson.
133-PSU commit Perry seeded 4th.
139-Manville seeded #1.
145-Asher Cunningham not seeded. Think he finished 7th last year.
160-Sealy seeded 1st.
189- Correa seeded 1. Rune Lawrence #2.
Hwt- #1 ranked Mullen seeded 1. #2 ranked Robell #2. Mullen beat him last year here 7-3.

Where is Gibson? Hurt?

Nasedo got a terrible draw. Perry at 132 is going to fun to watch dominate. Did him and Luke wrestle off? Could charge a fee for that wrestle off.

Got to look at the field-

107 Ayden Smith is big and strong at that weight. How is Davis Motoyka still at 107 as a Junior. He must be little.

114 Bassett vs Gill would be a good one. James from Delbarton is a strong athlete and beat up Desmond at Super 32. Ty Kapusta could do well. Basset going for super, Ironmen, journeymen and Powerade that is a good year

121 Nasedo after looking so tough last week draws a horrible quarter with Forest. PSU could have four in this weight. I think we get Luke and Forest. Already have Wentzel and Cael. Luke is also going for Super, Ironman, journeymen and Powerade but I think he won Ow at all of them. This will be the match of the tournament and the finale

127 I don’t know many in this weight. No one stands out. Chappel is a Pitt commit. My friend from the Wpial said Binni is very tough. He beat the state RunnerUp last week. They announced on Pa power Gibson is out for the season with another knee injury. I pray for him and his recovery.

133 Shaw is number one seed but does matter cause he will have Dalt in the semis. Robinson is skilled but will gas. AA state champ Vs AAA State champ in the quarters. M2 Vs M2 crime. Look for Granahan to get on the podium.

139 Manville Vs Simcox collision is coming. M2 is all over all the big PA events. This tournament used to be controlled by YoungGuns. Ethan Kolb will win a few and be around the blood round.

145 Mac Church is a step above. Little Bouzakis is tough. Calan Bollman used to be a little monster. Burke is really good but this weight is so deep.

152 Waters wins again. He was under the radar last year but not any more. Lukey Sipes is back too.

160 Our guy Sealey will crunch everyone. He is head and shoulder above

172 welsh finally wins a Powerade title.

189 we need Jude Correa at PSU. He will beat Rune up. Rune is a great AA guy but doesn’t get to the big events until this year. Correa is an animal

215 Big Johnson looks bigger and bigger every time I see him. If he is back in shape he cruises

HwT Mullins Vs Robell. Would enjoy to see them tangle on the football field too. I was at the McDevitt state finals and Robell May have played the best football game I have ever seen from a kid his size. He may be the best athlete in Pa. Both guys will be in football shape but still way better than everyone else.

Not through everything but No Benton Tigers seeded. Big mistake, we will have a few spoilers coming. Lots of out of state kids seeded. You are coming to PA, there will be many upsets. When did they start seeding 9th graders. I thought they were big on making them earn it the first year in. I understand why but didn’t realize they made that change. Wish I had a job I could make it. Who can be there during the week, I am not jealous. Yes I am.
5 freshmen (including Cenzo) were seeded at 106 in 2011.
Spencer Lee was seeded 1 at 113 in 2013.

Too lazy to check who else, but here's the link to brackets:

215 Big Johnson looks bigger and bigger every time I see him. If he is back in shape he cruises
tumblr_o5qithktyM1s6mkt7o1_540.gif

2012; 138 lbs Final

Senior Zain Retherford over Freshman Mason Manville 2-0

Reactions: Chris Watts
Just got back to the hotel, JH starts tomorrow at noon. Going to be a long couple of days. Not surprised the Benton boys didnt get seeds, they need to prove they can do it at their new weights. Should be a fun week.

Reactions: hlstone
Got to look at the field-

107 Ayden Smith is big and strong at that weight. How is Davis Motoyka still at 107 as a Junior. He must be little.

114 Bassett vs Gill would be a good one. James from Delbarton is a strong athlete and beat up Desmond at Super 32. Ty Kapusta could do well. Basset going for super, Ironmen, journeymen and Powerade that is a good year

121 Nasedo after looking so tough last week draws a horrible quarter with Forest. PSU could have four in this weight. I think we get Luke and Forest. Already have Wentzel and Cael. Luke is also going for Super, Ironman, journeymen and Powerade but I think he won Ow at all of them. This will be the match of the tournament and the finale

127 I don’t know many in this weight. No one stands out. Chappel is a Pitt commit. My friend from the Wpial said Binni is very tough. He beat the state RunnerUp last week. They announced on Pa power Gibson is out for the season with another knee injury. I pray for him and his recovery.

133 Shaw is number one seed but does matter cause he will have Dalt in the semis. Robinson is skilled but will gas. AA state champ Vs AAA State champ in the quarters. M2 Vs M2 crime. Look for Granahan to get on the podium.

139 Manville Vs Simcox collision is coming. M2 is all over all the big PA events. This tournament used to be controlled by YoungGuns. Ethan Kolb will win a few and be around the blood round.

145 Mac Church is a step above. Little Bouzakis is tough. Calan Bollman used to be a little monster. Burke is really good but this weight is so deep.

152 Waters wins again. He was under the radar last year but not any more. Lukey Sipes is back too.

160 Our guy Sealey will crunch everyone. He is head and shoulder above

172 welsh finally wins a Powerade title.

189 we need Jude Correa at PSU. He will beat Rune up. Rune is a great AA guy but doesn’t get to the big events until this year. Correa is an animal

HwT Mullins Vs Robell. Would enjoy to see them tangle on the football field too. I was at the McDevitt state finals and Robell May have played the best football game I have ever seen from a kid his size. He may be the best athlete in Pa. Both guys will be in football shape but still way better than everyone else.
Brock......Love the summary, well done. Any reason you think we get BOTH Luke AND Forest???

2012; 138 lbs Final

Senior Zain Retherford over Freshman Mason Manville 2-0
The improvement of Zain from HS to college was amazing. Did Zain ever score two or less points in a college match? I just checked: Zain had six two-point matches in college, three of which were in his true Freshman season. He won all six matches. He also had four three-point matches. Nolf had two three-point matches and one four point match. Ed scored three points once and four points three times. Bo scored three points once and four points four times. Taylor scored two points once, four points once and five points once. He only had scored one point against Bubba when he was pinned. Carter has scored two points five times and three points four times. Aaron has scored three points five times and four points two times.

Last edited:
5 freshmen (including Cenzo) were seeded at 106 in 2011.
Spencer Lee was seeded 1 at 113 in 2013.

Too lazy to check who else, but here's the link to brackets:
El, you are spot on with your Stats but I will never believe Cenzo was ever 106. Not from reading threads throughout his college years.

;)

Bassett will major Gill....mainly because at this point Bassett is majoring almost everything

Do you think he will come to Penn State?

Bassett will major Gill....mainly because at this point Bassett is majoring almost everything
Gill will have to beat James, which beat Desmond and Raney at Super 32. That weight is stacked.

132 is the best weight there and who ever wins that should claim OW

Reactions: Psugo823
The improvement of Zain from HS to college was amazing. Did Zain ever score two or less points in a college match? I just checked: Zain had six two-point matches in college, three of which were in his true Freshman season. He won all six matches. He also had four three-point matches. Nolf had two three-point matches and one four point match. Ed scored three points once and four points three times. Bo scored three points once and four points four times. Taylor scored two points once, four points once and five points once. He only had scored one point against Bubba when he was pinned. Carter has scored two points five times and three points four times. Aaron has scored three points five times and four points two times.
No argument that Zain jumped levels, especially after redshirting his 2nd year. But I think the bigger takeaway is how good Manville was in high school. Zain arrived at PSU the next season pretty great already (he beat a 4xer a month into his 1st year at PSU). A 9th grade Manville only losing 2-0 to a 12th grade Zain is mind-boggling to me. Especially at a weight that is heavy for a 9th grader.

Dalton Perry vs Sam Herring in the second round?! Herring is unseeded and Perry is the 4. I thought preseeds had Perry at 1. Winner of that probably gets Scott Johnson in the quarters and Shaw in the semis. Tough road

Tyler Vasquez who’s ranked 6th in the country at 138 is seeded 5th? Strange

Last edited:
Really hoping we get a 160 final of Sealey against Dylan Evans. That should be a fantastic match if it happens.

Dellagata could also have something to say in that 189-pound bracket.

133 is just downright loaded.

Don’t right off fifth seeded Vasquez of Delbarton at 139.

Excited to see a potential Catrabone-Bouzakis match and then maybe Catrabone-Church at 145.

Even without Blair this is one of the best Powerade fields I can remember for a little while.

Brackets are here:

121: Nasdeo and Wentzel seeded against each other in the quarters, winner gets Lilledahl in the semis. Forrest in the other half, likely gets Malvern's Link in the semis.

133: Perry gets Herring in his next match. Next would be Scott Johnson in the quarters, then Shaw in the semis.

139: 1 Manville, 2 Simcox, 3 Barnhart ... and Magro is lurking as the 8 seed.

189: 1 Correa, 2 Lawrence, 3 Dellagatta. Dellagatta's next match is no pushover, Wehmeyer's younger brother.

Reactions: danoftw
Brackets are here:

121: Nasdeo and Wentzel seeded against each other in the quarters, winner gets Lilledahl in the semis. Forrest in the other half, likely gets Malvern's Link in the semis.

133: Perry gets Herring in his next match. Next would be Scott Johnson in the quarters, then Shaw in the semis.

189: 1 Correa, 2 Lawrence, 3 Dellagatta. Dellagatta's next match is no pushover, Wehmeyer's younger brother.
I am interested in how Lawrence does. Can somebody explain why he is getting no PSU interest? Or is just this board that seems to lack interest?

Reactions: hlstone
I like Rune but in limited exposure at the national level he’s struggled a bit. Still very talented on top but limited on his feet. My understanding is that PSU has interest but he may not be a priority.

There’s also a decent chance Zack Ryder grows into a 197 pounder. He’s young for his grade (2024) and his dad is a decent sized guy I believe.

Brackets are here:

Perry looked great and knocked off Herring. Forest and Bassett make it look so easy. Most seniors don’t get first period TF’s. They both have them today. neither look to be fully through puberty. Louie Gill and Ayden Smith looked tough. Scott Johnson is getting his wind back. This is the first time watching St Ed’s Gosh are they tough kids. No wonder why they send kids to D1 every year.

My Benton boys didn’t far well but will be battle tested come Hershey. M2 is looking tough as a club. Quarters coming soon

Perry looked great and knocked off Herring. Forest and Bassett make it look so easy. Most seniors don’t get first period TF’s. They both have them today. neither look to be fully through puberty. Louie Gill and Ayden Smith looked tough. Scott Johnson is getting his wind back. This is the first time watching St Ed’s Gosh are they tough kids. No wonder why they send kids to D1 every year.

My Benton boys didn’t far well but will be battle tested come Hershey. M2 is looking tough as a club. Quarters coming soon
Thought Perry looked solid, if unspectacular. Though Herring is no slouch. I believe Herring has also spent some time at M2 as well so there may have been some familiarity.

107 – Ayden Smith (Notre Dame GP) vs. Dom Deputy (Chestnut Ridge)

114 – Anthony Mutarelli (Malvern Prep) vs. Jayden James (Delbarton, NJ)

Let’s go PSU
121 – Branden Wentzel (Montoursville) vs. Cael Nasdeo (Williamsport)

127 – Nick O’Neil (Malvern Prep) vs. #9 Mason Kernan (Bethel Park). Kernan knocks him off.

127 – #6 Eren Sement (Council Rock North) vs. #14 Dominic Ferraro (Pine Richland)

133 – #1 Dalton Perry (Central Mountain) vs. #1 Scott Johnson (Muncy) AA vs AAA. M2 on M2 crime

139 – #1 Pierson Manville (State College) vs. #3 Devon Magro (Bishop McCort) Manville eats him for lunch

139 – Eligh Rivera (Lake Highland, FL) vs. Tyler Vazquez (Delbarton, NJ)

139 – #3 Luke Simcox (Central Mountain) vs. #4 Connor Saylor (Hickory) AAA Stud dominates a AA Stud here

145 – #1 Vince Bouzakis (Notre Dame GP) vs. #9 Asher Cunningham (State College) new recruit Bouzakis barely beats Asher

160 – #1 Andrew Christie (Bishop McDevitt) vs. #6 Shawn Taylor (West Allegheny)

172 – #2 Matthew Furman (Canon-McMillan) vs. Dom Federici (Wyoming Seminary)

215 – #4 Connor Jacobs (Armstrong) vs. #10 Brenan Morgan (Central Valley)

215 – #2 Danny Church (Fort LeBoeuf) vs. Josh Cordio (Wyoming Seminary)

285 – #1 Riley Robell (Bishop McDevitt) vs. #3 Aiden Compton (Notre Dame GP)

Reactions: tikk10
I like Rune but in limited exposure at the national level he’s struggled a bit. Still very talented on top but limited on his feet. My understanding is that PSU has interest but he may not be a priority.

There’s also a decent chance Zack Ryder grows into a 197 pounder. He’s young for his grade (2024) and his dad is a decent sized guy I believe.
And if Ryder doesn’t grow to 197 Barr might. He has the frame for it. Very similar frame to Nickal

ADVERTISEMENT