ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Game Rose Bowl game discussion thread

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Lots of topics are changing as players opt in and out, as well as discussion of how the teams match up physically and skill wise.

Here's a couple of opinions of others......

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
The better QB article is logical, and I love Sean as a representative of our program, but with Rising as our QB I think we would've had an even better year.

Been a fan of his since I watched the game a few years ago when they upset USC. Clifford will be highly motivated for his last game for sure, but my choice would be Rising.

Reactions: GregInPitt
The better QB article is logical, and I love Sean as a representative of our program, but with Rising as our QB I think we would've had an even better year.

Been a fan of his since I watched the game a few years ago when they upset USC. Clifford will be highly motivated for his last game for sure, but my choice would be Rising.
I haven't seen Utah play much, but from what I did see Rising is a load when he is running, and doesn't give himself up all the time like Clifford does due to his many injuries.

Clifford needs to pick his spots and run a few times. Early in the game, not just when/if Utah shuts down the PSU RB's.

I haven't seen Utah play much, but from what I did see Rising is a load when he is running, and doesn't give himself up all the time like Clifford does due to his many injuries.

Clifford needs to pick his spots and run a few times. Early in the game, not just when/if Utah shuts down the PSU RB's.
I suspect Utah will start off by stacking against the PSU run game. Clifford has had some slow starts, but it would be nice to see him get a few early completions to open up the field.

Prediction: If PSU wins.....Utah was over rated....Utah did more to lose the game than PSU did to win it.
If PSU loses: Another example of CJF's poor coaching and a healthy dose of Clifford criticism mixed in.
For NNNNNCAC it's win-win.

Last edited:
I suspect Utah will start off by stacking against the PSU run game. Clifford has had some slow starts, but it would be nice to see him get a few early completions to open up the field.
Yep, it would be great to see Strange and Johnson rumbling down the middle of the field in the first quarter..... ;)

Prediction: If PSU wins.....Utah was over rated....Utah did more to lose the game than PSU did to win it.
If PSU loses: Another example of CJF's poor coaching and a healthy mix of Clifford criticism mixed in.
For NNNNNCAC it's win-win.
I was waiting for your post like this. Good stuff.

I was waiting for your post like this. Good stuff.
Hoping and praying for a PSU win. However, if one wanted to be honest....there is no downside (other than laying an egg) to the exposure gained by playing in the Rose Bowl. Or any NY6 for that matter.
I await the NNNNNCAC anti PSU anti Franklin anti Clifford talking points. In the spirit of the holidays, one must have sympathy for them. It's been a very disappointing year.
"Bah humbug"....."we deserve better."

Last edited:
I like our DE rotation being able to put pressure on Rising. But, Utah is extremely effective running the ball, averaging 220 YPG, even without there top RB who declared for the NFL.

We can not repeat the 2017 Rose Bowl when we gave Denard sp "37 seconds to find his receivers" a quote form Jack Ham during that game, IIRC Bell got injured in the first quarter and that was the end of our pass rush.

Reactions: psu00
Statistically, the 2 teams are very close. The only real difference is Utah runs for roughly 40 more yards per game than Penn State. Passing yards per game are equal. Clifford with 22 TDs and 7 Ints. Rising with 25 TDS and 7 Ints. D stats are pretty much identical.

Utah will have the home field advantage with more fans at the game.

I haven’t seen a lot of Utah this year but focusing on just Penn State, they can’t take 1-2 quarters off this game. They need to be ready from opening kickoff and have plans for Utah stacking the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt
Clifford and the receivers are really going to have to play well to prevent Utah from stacking the line. If the Utah LBs are playing up close hopefully PSU pulls out an occasional trick play like the jump pass. ;)

Reactions: bdgan
Clifford and the receivers are really going to have to play well to prevent Utah from stacking the line. If the Utah LBs are playing up close hopefully PSU pulls out an occasional trick play like the jump pass. ;)

Has Clifford attempted a jump pass in any of his 25 seasons here?

• Haha
Reactions: bytir
Comes down to line play IMO. I think both teams can do about the same thing to teams if their lines are winning. Just have to hope our big boys show up and give the skill players an advantage. This was the case 10 times this year.

Comes down to line play IMO. I think both teams can do about the same thing to teams if their lines are winning. Just have to hope our big boys show up and give the skill players an advantage. This was the case 10 times this year.
I watched all PSU games and 3 Utah games this year. From what I saw Utah has a lot better chance of pounding the ball vs PSU than the other way around. PSU's advantage is that they have a bigger breakaway threat.

PSU averaged 182 yds rushing this year and I think they'll need that to beat Utah. I think PSU has to pass in order to open up the run. That will be difficult w/o Parker Washington.

I think Utah can run against PSU. The question is if we can win the turnover battle.

Back to the "Who's going to play" comment. I saw Ibraham packed it in at half for Minnesota vs Syracuse.

Back to the "Who's going to play" comment. I saw Ibraham packed it in at half for Minnesota vs Syracuse.
He was limping and the turf was treacherous. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck made the call.

I like our DE rotation being able to put pressure on Rising. But, Utah is extremely effective running the ball, averaging 220 YPG, even without there top RB who declared for the NFL.

We can not repeat the 2017 Rose Bowl when we gave Denard sp "37 seconds to find his receivers" a quote form Jack Ham during that game, IIRC Bell got injured in the first quarter and that was the end of our pass rush.
I believe Bell got injured in the 3rd quarter. Got hurt after he intercepted a pass that led to one of our 1 play scoring drives.

Reactions: lazydave841
Comments in this article seem to indicate the OL starters may be those that started at the end of the regular season.

Was hoping Olu and Wallace would both be back, this is not good news!

Shelton has played well, but having those two additional OL provides a nice rotation if needed.

Was hoping Olu and Wallace would both be back, this is not good news!

Shelton has played well, but having those two additional OL provides a nice rotation if needed.
The article doesn't mention Wallace, but he reportedly was practicing and will be available.

So the starters are likely Shelton, Nourzad, Scruggs, Wormley, Effner, with Wallace, Christ, Nelson and Loane as the backups.

Not a fan of Effner after seeing him get thrown around like a rag doll against the Buckeyes. Rather see Wallace who is stronger but has those "Herman Munster Feet." The coaches know better, I guess.

Hoping and praying for a PSU win. However, if one wanted to be honest....there is no downside (other than laying an egg) to the exposure gained by playing in the Rose Bowl. Or any NY6 for that matter.
I await the NNNNNCAC anti PSU anti Franklin anti Clifford talking points. In the spirit of the holidays, one must have sympathy for them. It's been a very disappointing year.
"Bah humbug"....."we deserve better."
The game really doesn't matter. Except if we lose then it cements the program as an absoute dumpster fire doomed to eternity. We will never win a big game ever and incredibly but true not one player on the team fits the "system". Of course Franklin is to blame for everything and in fact the local Pasadena high school coach is much better. Oh and did I mention that he singlehandedly ruined Christian Hackenberg who would have been the greatest QB ever in the history of the game if it wasn't for Franklin.

If we luck out a win then it was expected and nothing to take from it except we beat a team we should destroy so we underperformed and should be highly concerned about how the program is way overrated.

Signed Wallace Breen, Commando and other O$U/scUM trolls.

Reactions: marshall23
We are going to need to play our best game and get some breaks. This is a NY6 that could ugly. We have to be the least impressive 10 win team to play in the Rose Bowl

We have to be the least impressive 10 win team to play in the Rose Bowl
In the 1922 Rose Bowl Washington and Jefferson had 10 wins; of course they were undefeated. The Mare Island Marines were 10-1 in the 1919 Rose Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT