ADVERTISEMENT

Prevent Defense prevents WIN!!!

DrJC

May 29, 2001
How many years must I suffer with the stupidity of the prevent defense. As soon as we put in three down linemen instead of the full complement of DLine, I know they will complete a pass!!!! We have an awesome pass rush - that is the best defense. Stupid. That last completion cost us the game. Stupid. And by the way, why was CH not throwing passes downfield where he has had some great success?

How many years must I suffer with the stupidity of the prevent defense. As soon as we put in three down linemen instead of the full complement of DLine, I know they will complete a pass!!!! We have an awesome pass rush - that is the best defense. Stupid. That last completion cost us the game. Stupid. And by the way, why was CH not throwing passes downfield where he has had some great success?
Here is a blurb from BW Ill's post game write up:

The Wildcats’ final drive covered 36 yards, with more than half coming when Carr got lost in man coverage for his big gain to the Penn State 36. “Obviously, in that situation, you look back afterward and your second guess and say we should have been in zone,” Franklin said. “But the man coverage and pressure had been really good to us up to that point.”

The game was lost by the PREVENT OFFENSE. Sorry play calling, then 3rd down wildcat with the Wildcats bunching all 11 together and pinching ends up the field to stop Barkley. Our coaches in the press box should have signaled for a time out when NW lined up, and then got into another play. I was rooting for CJF to go for it on 4th down even deep in our own end as I believed the game was lost by giving NW the ball back.......

Haley turned the wrong way for a split second apparently expecting the receiver to go inside and that's what freed him up on the pass. On the previous play Haley had the INT in his hands above his head slightly off the ground but couldn't secure the ball as his arms came down. Tough play but still makeable.

They were not in a prevent defense. They were blitzing pretty much the entire drive, Haley just turned the wrong way on the 3rd and 15. Things like that happen. We will win one of the last two, mark my words.

That was not a "prevent" defense.

Haley turned the wrong way for a split second apparently expecting the receiver to go inside and that's what freed him up on the pass. On the previous play Haley had the INT in his hands above his head slightly off the ground but couldn't secure the ball as his arms came down. Tough play but still makeable.
Yeah. I just watched the 3rd and 15 play again a couple of times. Hard to understand watching it. Haley just didn't react well.

The game was lost by the PREVENT OFFENSE. Sorry play calling, then 3rd down wildcat with the Wildcats bunching all 11 together and pinching ends up the field to stop Barkley. Our coaches in the press box should have signaled for a time out when NW lined up, and then got into another play. I was rooting for CJF to go for it on 4th down even deep in our own end as I believed the game was lost by giving NW the ball back.......

If we didn't make it on 4th down, at least they would have scored much more quickly!

Is it POSSIBLE to actually watch the game.....and still make a comment like that?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
You couldn't be more wrong. We blitzed on 3rd and 15 when we didn't have to. That was the key to the last drive.
Agree that we should rush 4. Our DL gets enough pressure without having to dial it up too much.

You should pay more attention. PSU blitzed on the first three plays on that drive, including the one in which they gave up the 3rd and 15.

The game was lost giving NW the ball back? NW hadn't done squadoosh the whole 2nd half.

NW had shown no ability to stop the wildcat, so that call wasn't all that horrible IMO.

However the completely absurd decision to NOT call a TO with about 0:50 left after a play as NW let the clock run, only to then call one before they snap the ball with about 0:22 left should have CJF running steps at Beaver for the rest of the season. Either call it at 50 or just let it run all the way...

You couldn't be more wrong. We blitzed on 3rd and 15 when we didn't have to. That was the key to the last drive.
Agree that we should rush 4. Our DL gets enough pressure without having to dial it up too much.
Not with Nassbid on the sideline. Penn State has had the most success when they stunt. If they had only rushed four and he completed the pass you would be on here complaining about not getting pressure with a blitz.

Football comes down to execution. Of Penn State executes several times they win. There is not a magical that works 100% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT