ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton's National Champion string ends after 43 years

NitNE73

Sep 24, 2002
Cherry Hill, NJ
Several weeks ago when defending NCAA hammer throw champ Julia Radcliffe finished second at the NCAAs, the Princeton string of producing at least one national champion, individual or team, every year since 1972 ended. During that period, Tiger athletes won 30 individual and 58 team tiles. Doubt that we will see a run like that again, unless somehow, Pitt continues its string of mythical national championships in football. Are we at 28 or 29 now?

Who is the current leader now? Penn State women's volleyball championships for a decade or so, has had wrestling championships for 3 of the last 4, but have to believe there is a gap somewhere. Also, I'm not able to recall individual championships in fencing or track, etc. Maybe we go back deeper?

Then again, schools like Stanford, and UNC always have great sports top to bottom. Maybe someone else is at 20 and counting...

Who is the current leader now? Penn State women's volleyball championships for a decade or so, has had wrestling championships for 3 of the last 4, but have to believe there is a gap somewhere. Also, I'm not able to recall individual championships in fencing or track, etc. Maybe we go back deeper?

Then again, schools like Stanford, and UNC always have great sports top to bottom. Maybe someone else is at 20 and counting...

Our current string of team championships goes back to the 2006-7 academic year (we won fencing and men's gymnastics that year). Our last team championship prior to that was men's gymnastics in 2003-4 and fencing in 2001-2.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Thought Rutgers women basketball won a few years back. Didn't Imus have nice things to say about them?

Who'd have thunk that?
Rutgers can't even unseat Princeton as the best team in NJ.
Rutgers total number of national championships = 1 (1949 for fencing)
I really wish posters on this Board would leave Rutgers alone. They are our BIGGEST RIVAL. They have a dynamic football program, rich in history and tradition. They are one of the most revered academic institutions in the country. They deserve our respect.
1_pinocchio.gif

Reactions: Hotshoe and NitNE73
Several weeks ago when defending NCAA hammer throw champ Julia Radcliffe finished second at the NCAAs, the Princeton string of producing at least one national champion, individual or team, every year since 1972 ended. During that period, Tiger athletes won 30 individual and 58 team tiles. Doubt that we will see a run like that again, unless somehow, Pitt continues its string of mythical national championships in football. Are we at 28 or 29 now?

Congratulations to Princeton. Who would have predicted them as having the longest streak? I would have gone with Stanford.

43 years in a row with a national champion shows that Princeton has a culture problem that puts athletics above academics. With the streak ending, maybe Princeton now will focus on academics and balance athletics' position within the university community.

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT