ADVERTISEMENT

ProFootballFocus names OT Paris Palmer first team performer last week.

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Pro Football Focus can't get enough of these Penn State tackle.

One week after declaring Brendan Mahon the country's best tackle during Week 8, his fellow offensive line bookend, Paris Palmer, was named to their Team of the Week for Week 9. Per PFF, Palmer allowed only a single hurry during 28 Nittany Lion pass attempts at Purdue. He also, they wrote, was an asset in the run game.

Palmer entered the starting lineup midway through Penn State's 38-14 victory over Maryland, after Andrew Nelson went down with a season-ending injury. From there, Palmer helped the Lions to an upset win over No. 2 Ohio State. While his individual performance against the Buckeyes was subpar, the senior bounced back in a big way against the Boilermakers.

Penn State rolled up more than 500 yards of total offense in West Lafayette, boosted by Saquon Barkley's career high 277. The Lions surrendered only a single sack and allowed quarterback Trace McSorley to connect on multiple deep balls, as well as three touchdowns.

One week after declaring Brendan Mahon the country's best tackle during Week 8, his fellow offensive line bookend, Paris Palmer, was named to their Team of the Week for Week 9. Per PFF, Palmer allowed only a single hurry during 28 Nittany Lion pass attempts at Purdue. He also, they wrote, was an asset in the run game.

Palmer entered the starting lineup midway through Penn State's 38-14 victory over Maryland, after Andrew Nelson went down with a season-ending injury. From there, Palmer helped the Lions to an upset win over No. 2 Ohio State. While his individual performance against the Buckeyes was subpar, the senior bounced back in a big way against the Boilermakers.

Penn State rolled up more than 500 yards of total offense in West Lafayette, boosted by Saquon Barkley's career high 277. The Lions surrendered only a single sack and allowed quarterback Trace McSorley to connect on multiple deep balls, as well as three touchdowns.
Those PFF "ratings" are some of the dumbest "fan boy" bits of nonsense I have seen.......

That said:

The PSU OT play has been solid-to-good throughout the year (particularly Mahon)

PP really struggled at times in Pass Pro against OSU. At the time, the hope would be:
A - It was his first start
and
B - OSU has some really talented pass rush guys (and PSU was also in a lot of 3rd-and-Long type situations)

PP was much better last week......but, of course, it was Purdue.
I didn't note how often he went against which DL from Purdue (wish I had), but Purdue did have one guy (#94 IIRC, Stanfill....or something like that...was his name) who had pretty solid rush skills.

PP still has a lot of trouble getting full "extension" (for lack of a better word) in directing the outside rush far enough away from the pocket - and allowing the QB to sit at his normal drop depth. Kind of surprising - given PP's length.

McSorley has done a nice job all year of "stepping up" in those types of situations - and either buying time, or - on occasion - finding an escape lane through the middle of the line.
That is going to be something to watch for this week........Iowa's front is better than most at maintaining pressure up the middle - while not exposing any escape routes for the opposing QB.

I want to know how James Conner was rated higher than Barkley last week despite having less yards, less yards per touch, lower number of yards per carry after contact, less forced missed tackles.

I want to know how James Conner was rated higher than Barkley last week despite having less yards, less yards per touch, lower number of yards per carry after contact, less forced missed tackles.
Again:

Those PFF "ratings" are some of the dumbest "fan boy" bits of nonsense I have seen.......

Again:

and yet at least half, maybe more NFL teams subscribe to their service, not for their evaluations on the college guys, but for their grades on the pro side.

and yet at least half, maybe more NFL teams subscribe to their service, not for their evaluations on the college guys, but for their grades on the pro side.
Your point?

(Ah......forget it......its Sluggo)

Those PFF "ratings" are some of the dumbest "fan boy" bits of nonsense I have seen.......[/QUOTE]

That may be - I can't say. But I'm happy for him. He played well the last two weeks and took quite a bit of criticism on these boards in the past. Perhaps we should be happy for his success and give credit to him and his coaches for being in a position to be recognized in a positive way outside the PSU community.
Congrats, PP - keep up the good work!

Reactions: BBrown

Perhaps you can share your source(s) for this statement? I'd be interested in which NFL teams, all of whom spend millions on scouting, would subscribe to a publication run, in essence, by amateurs.

That said:

The PSU OT play has been solid-to-good throughout the year (particularly Mahon)

PP really struggled at times in Pass Pro against OSU. At the time, the hope would be:
A - It was his first start
and
B - OSU has some really talented pass rush guys (and PSU was also in a lot of 3rd-and-Long type situations)

PP was much better last week......but, of course, it was Purdue.
I didn't note how often he went against which DL from Purdue (wish I had), but Purdue did have one guy (#94 IIRC, Stanfill....or something like that...was his name) who had pretty solid rush skills.

PP still has a lot of trouble getting full "extension" (for lack of a better word) in directing the outside rush far enough away from the pocket - and allowing the QB to sit at his normal drop depth. Kind of surprising - given PP's length.

McSorley has done a nice job all year of "stepping up" in those types of situations - and either buying time, or - on occasion - finding an escape lane through the middle of the line.
That is going to be something to watch for this week........Iowa's front is better than most at maintaining pressure up the middle - while not exposing any escape routes for the opposing QB.

I like when you post. It reminds me that everyone on the inter webs is an expert. Whether they really or not

By the way what happened to your other board names? Were they banned?

Again:

So if you say it again, that makes it more true?

Come on, without knowing EXACTLY how these ratings are measured, I'm pretty sure they are recognizing GOOD PLAY, and good for #73.

Perhaps you can share your source(s) for this statement? I'd be interested in which NFL teams, all of whom spend millions on scouting, would subscribe to a publication run, in essence, by amateurs.
Chris collinsworth was on NFL radio a few weeks ago he is part owner of the site. He is the one that made that claim. Iirc he said they employ something like 100 analysts and they break down all of this film and grade. I assume you know who Chris Collinsworth is, if you don't ask Barry, he knows everything

Last edited:

Somebody's in trouble, they didn't clear their evaluation with Gums first.....

Chris collinsworth was on NFL radio a few weeks ago he is part owner of the site. He is the one that made that claim. Iirc he said they employ something like 250 analysts and they break down all of this film and grade. I assume you know who Chris Collinsworth is, if you don't ask Barry, he knows everything
LOL.

Sluggo.......smh

LOL.

Sluggo.......smh
It must be tough to be an expert in all areas. The law, corporate governance, football, proper pass sets for an OT. I just have to admire your vast knowledge base, no matter what screen name you use.

Reactions: 71camaro
I like when you post. It reminds me that everyone on the inter webs is an expert. Whether they really or not

By the way what happened to your other board names? Were they banned?

Yep. Just like he is banned at BoT meetings. Banned for life.

When Mahon was graded as the top lineman a couple weeks ago I believe Franklin was asked about it in his press conference. Although he praised Mahon, he also said he didn't understand how they could properly grade a lineman's performance without knowing what the lineman's assignment was on the play. They're only guessing as to what he was supposed to do and then deciding if he did it well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT