ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Depth Chart Vs WVU

Agreed.

Beyond silly that a depth chart is not provided by Team.

Another reflection of everyone gets a trophy society?
I believe that the players know where they stand for the most part on the depth chart heading into week 1.

Situational football has made the game less straight forward wrt who is on the field at any given time.

The projected defensive starters in the link provided have 3 LB's starting. DC Allen in the past has preferred to utilize the 4-2-5 set. Different packages have different personnel requirements.

Sports played at this level is a meritocracy. Trying to utilize specific player's skill sets and keeping them motivated and engaged is not necessarily the same as everybody gets a trophy.

JMO

Thanks for your projection of the starters.
247s, not mine lol just shares em when I came across them. Very little I see being different.

The thing that sticks out to me is WR2 where it says Evans or Fleming. It would be great to see Evans take the next step but it doesn't appear like Fleming is the #1 we've been hoping for.
Other than Jameson Williams, OSU doesn't particularly have a high hit rate of just turning loose of the high end WRs. Fleming hasn't achieved a 5* college career, but if we can get about 120% of his best season out of him this year, we might do well because of it.

Im hopeful Evans has taken a step.

Agreed.

Gamesmanship? Besides, everybody knows where they are. It's not like they can tell a kid he's first string and never play him.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The thing that sticks out to me is WR2 where it says Evans or Fleming. It would be great to see Evans take the next step but it doesn't appear like Fleming is the #1 we've been hoping for.
Recently watched OSU-Michigan highlights and was impressed with Fleming as a blocker.

Not a small item for a team that is looking for explosive plays.

Gee... He never was a number one and how he was a 5 star in HS I never understood. More like a Justin Shorter type 5 star I guess. Yet, I still hope the guy does well. However, the younger guys need to see the field and I think Koltenicky will see to it that they do.

My ratings:
QB B+
RB A
WR C
TE A-
OL B

DT B
DE A
LB C (due to depth, starters B)
CB B
S B+
Agree with your assessment, although I firmly believe that the new “scheme” will benefit the WR group to enable them to be effective ( at a minimum …C+/B-) . This, in turn, will take some pressure off the OL and backs by preventing teams from overplaying the run/stuffing the box. —With our abundance of high quality tight ends, it wouldn’t shock me to see Warren and Renolds split out or in the slot for certain groups of plays , similar to Gesicki…. And Brett Brackett back in the JoePa days. Also believe that Ethan Black, the walk on( because of his speed) may find his way to the field at WR for some “niche” plays. JMO

Last edited:
Agree with your assessment, although I firmly believe that the new “scheme” will benefit the WR group to enable them to be effective ( at a minimum …C+/B-) . This, in turn, will take some pressure off the OL and backs by preventing teams from overplaying the run/stuffing the box.
That's the hope. PSU struggled to sustain drives vs top teams last year in spite of having great RBs and 3 OL who went to the NFL. You have to have a 15+ yd passing threat to set up the ground game.

Recently watched OSU-Michigan highlights and was impressed with Fleming as a blocker.

Not a small item for a team that is looking for explosive plays.
Agree. I re-watched the OSU/UM game and Fleming did some really nice blocking and made a couple of difficult catches.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Fleming is big physical receiver. I expect his contributions to impact third down and red zone. CJF likes route runners who can move chains. We'll see what AK brings in terms of formations. I expect a lot of multi-WR sets to confuse D. I like Wallace when healthy and Clifford was always bit of a project as not physical or super fast. He hopefully brings routes and hands. JF went strong in WR portal last year with Cephas and McClain and neither worked. Also seemed to give KLS the nudge out. He only brought Fleming so must be feeling good about Clifford, Tre, Evans etc

Bigger question? Who is Collins at CB, possibly beating Kimber. Not sure I even saw his name on chart previously

Reactions: lazydave841
Fleming is big physical receiver. I expect his contributions to impact third down and red zone. CJF likes route runners who can move chains. We'll see what AK brings in terms of formations. I expect a lot of multi-WR sets to confuse D. I like Wallace when healthy and Clifford was always bit of a project as not physical or super fast. He hopefully brings routes and hands. JF went strong in WR portal last year with Cephas and McClain and neither worked. Also seemed to give KLS the nudge out. He only brought Fleming so must be feeling good about Clifford, Tre, Evans etc

Bigger question? Who is Collins at CB, possibly beating Kimber. Not sure I even saw his name on chart previously

Coaches are big on loyalty. Unless Fleming was head and shoulders better the coaches will stay with a guy that has been here. And he may move up as the season goes along and he proves he deserves it.

It’s also possible not only a new OC but being on a new team has had some affect. Not only is he learning a new system but he has all new teammates. Had to learn how the QB throws, communicates, sees the field, and more. Same with knowing how to coordinate with other receivers, backs, coaches and more.

MissState transfer. Second year here. Not sure if he is even on scholarship.

Collins was a portal transfer in before 2023 season from Mississippi State. Staff wanted him to add weight but they liked him in practices. Apparently ready to play.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Agree with your assessment, although I firmly believe that the new “scheme” will benefit the WR group to enable them to be effective ( at a minimum …C+/B-) . This, in turn, will take some pressure off the OL and backs by preventing teams from overplaying the run/stuffing the box. —With our abundance of high quality tight ends, it wouldn’t shock me to see Warren and Renolds split out or in the slot for certain groups of plays , similar to Gesicki…. And Brett Brackett back in the JoePa days. Also believe that Ethan Black, the walk on( because of his speed) may find his way to the field at WR for some “niche” plays. JMO
The simple addition of a damn play action pass fairly frequently will benefit them all. By the Illinois game last season I wanted to kick some offensive coordinator (Yucick) ass!

Last edited:
Reactions: ram2020 and jimarnp
Agreed.

GoPSUSports published one in the past. It's not there now. Maybe it hasn't been released? The one thing I did see that got a kick out of me was that the athletes instagram, twitter.... were linked to the roster.

I believe that the players know where they stand for the most part on the depth chart heading into week 1.

Situational football has made the game less straight forward wrt who is on the field at any given time.

The projected defensive starters in the link provided have 3 LB's starting. DC Allen in the past has preferred to utilize the 4-2-5 set. Different packages have different personnel requirements.

Sports played at this level is a meritocracy. Trying to utilize specific player's skill sets and keeping them motivated and engaged is not necessarily the same as everybody gets a trophy.

JMO
All true. But why not give paying public the info. Maybe the can up the seat license a few more $s and we can get the info?

We can also hope this means Wallace and Evans have developed and are ready for big years. Clifford beating out Saunders in the slot, no one predicted that a couple years ago.

Our WR room is what it is, and you have to dance with the one that brought you. My only question is how or can Coach K maximize what those guys bring to the table, and will Allar be improved, which he MUST be.

Our WR room is what it is, and you have to dance with the one that brought you. My only question is how or can Coach K maximize what those guys bring to the table, and will Allar be improved, which he MUST be.
I agree thay Allar must be significantly improved. And even if the WRs only show marginal improvement then hopefully a much better Allar along with better schemes from Kotelnicki help make up for what we are lacking from WR.

With that said, the QB and playcalling are only part of it so if these WRs can't get it done on the field with talent (route running, separation, contested catches blocking downfield, etc) it will hold us back from winning the big games.

Reactions: PSU4U
I agree thay Allar must be significantly improved. And even if the WRs only show marginal improvement then hopefully a much better Allar along with better schemes from Kotelnicki help make up for what we are lacking from WR.

With that said, the QB and playcalling are only part of it so if these WRs can't get it done on the field with talent (route running, separation, contested catches blocking downfield, etc) it will hold us back from winning the big games.
I don't disagree but....Allar won't "significantly improve" if the WRs don't also significantly improve. The passing game was fine with TEs and RBs. I'll also add that our running game lacked which also negatively impacts the passing game. The way teams defenses us after the Illinio game was to play at least 7 in the box to stop the running game, bring at least 4 or five on every play to pressure the QB if it is a running game, and play the WRs in man tight, daring them to beat you deep (and hoping the pressure gets to the QB in time if they do).

Adding that CJF was not happy with the entire scheme last year. How do we know this? After a successful 2022 offensively, CJF couldn't even wait until the end of last season to fire the OC.

It starts with the scheme and it appears that our biggest problem has been the offensive scheme given the talent available in 2023. It is really clear to me that there was a complete misunderstanding between QB and WR. This didn't happen between QB and TE or QB and RB. So the issue is QB and WR.

Reactions: PSU4U

TE room is deep. Get a TE some reps at WR. Did anyone complain when Gesicki was winning jump balls?

Last edited:
TE room is deep. Get a TE some reps at WR. Did anyone complain when Gesicki was winning jump balls?
I've wondered this too but we do put a TE into motion and snap the ball when they are, basically, a WR. A couple of comments:

• IIRC, mike was listed as 6-6 225 so he was a little quicker than Warren who goes 260. MG was a great leaper. MG couldn't catch a cold and really hurt the team in critical times with dropped passes until his last year. His last year he was phenomenal and I don't recall him with a single drop.
  • Warren doesn't look very quick but it 260 lbs. (at 6-6). He's a good blocker but isn't going to be able to shake a CB or S. He has to be matched by a LB for anything other than a jump ball.
  • Dinkins is listed as 6-4 and 253. So he may be that "tweener" who can play both TE and WR
  • Rappleyea looks like your perfect TE. He is now at 6-5 and 260 but looks faster than Warren. I think he is our next great TE.
  • Luke Reynolds is just starting so will need time to bulk up at 6-4 and 230. But I understand he is really fast for his size so will also be a good one. I've heard good things.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I don't disagree but....Allar won't "significantly improve" if the WRs don't also significantly improve. The passing game was fine with TEs and RBs. I'll also add that our running game lacked which also negatively impacts the passing game. The way teams defenses us after the Illinio game was to play at least 7 in the box to stop the running game, bring at least 4 or five on every play to pressure the QB if it is a running game, and play the WRs in man tight, daring them to beat you deep (and hoping the pressure gets to the QB in time if they do).

Adding that CJF was not happy with the entire scheme last year. How do we know this? After a successful 2022 offensively, CJF couldn't even wait until the end of last season to fire the OC.

It starts with the scheme and it appears that our biggest problem has been the offensive scheme given the talent available in 2023. It is really clear to me that there was a complete misunderstanding between QB and WR. This didn't happen between QB and TE or QB and RB. So the issue is QB and WR.
On Allar and receivers, I disagree only a little. On occasion Allar didn't even see receiver's running open and his accuracy was very erratic at times. He is much much more comfortable throwing certain passes. If he gets pressured even a little (a lot last year) he begins to get the 'Heebie-jeebies'. I give him a pass on some things because of having an OC it seemed was a bit of a nut job pushing his extremely difficult scheme (due to an insane number of variables) before any other considerations.

I'm praying for Allar to light it up this year mostly for him but also for PS. He has to improve or at least play better in a better scheme that will hopefully be tailored to get the most from the best players. In the end no matter how coach K plans to get it out of him he must play better.

Players tend to make the biggest amount of improvement from year one of starting and year two. At least that has been my observation, so I actually look for him to be better and IMO only he needs to be.

I think most of the assessments on Allar are way off simply because people want a dual threat guy. Not once last year was "Allar the problem". He far exceeded expectations given his supporting cast, play-calling and restrictions the staff placed on him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT